Review: Dynamic Driver SR-009 Killer?
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
I've owned the 009, along with the BHSE for quite some time now.

At first, I literally could not believe what I was hearing. I mean, how much detail could you possibly extract from a recording? Not only that, the effortlessness of the presentation nearly shorted out every neuron in my brain.

First, the love story between myself and the SR-009. 

We met at a head-fi get together in Dallas, where Justin and his BHSE lay in wait to capture every fiber of my being. I purposely made my way through every HD800 and LCD-3 set up first, saving the Orpheus and SR-009 for last. I first gave the Orpheus a listen, and it certainly lived up to its reputation. My God, the sound was beautiful. But the SR-009 was life changing. I walked away from the meet knowing I had to have it. Fast forward 1 year and 30+ trader feedback, I sold everything audio related I owned to fund the combo. It was mine at last, and all my dreams were fulfilled.

I proved only human though, as after a while I started to take this for granted...I started looking for ways to "improve" on this already magical experience that was the SR-009. I've spent a semester's worth of tuition on every kind of "rolling" there is. Eventually, I got back into the headphone game to try to find something that could surpass what I was hearing from my first combo. Needless to say, I failed. My more realistic objective was to find something that could at least equal the 009/BHSE combo. Again, I failed...until....

After months of reading every audio forum I could think of, buying and selling, and plenty of frustration, I stumbled on this thread in a forum where the OP was comparing his brand new acquisition to his tenured SR-009. He painstakingly compared every last bit of the audio spectrum, going over CSD plots, FR responses, and impulse waves, eventually coming to the conclusion that this new purchase of his rivaled, if not beat, his 009 in so many ways. The last bit of info he provided was the most compelling though...this was all from a modification of the HD600 driver that was almost genius in its simplicity.

I didn't even hesitate to purchase this headphone, hoping that my days of searching would be over.

The headphone arrived yesterday, and it's even better than I could have dreamed of. Imagine the effortlessness of the 009, combined with the soundstage of a speaker system. When I listen to it, I'm mostly reminded of my dad's Grande Utopia EM paired loudspeakers. Going from the 009 to this new headphone was like the first time I heard the 009, after spending a year with the Sennheiser HD600.

Ladies and gents, without any further ado I present to you the headphone that as taken me a year to discover, but has brought me immense joy again through audio:

SPREAD THE WORD (click)

1569405.jpg

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 10
... and here I wuz thinkin' 'twas gonna be:-

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Lawl, I thought I'd be reading another review only made to confuse 
frown.gif

Anyway, can't we just agree the 009 is da bomb? Much easier to deal with.

On another note, I think I'll be upgrading to some hi-end stuff, am considering hd800, HE-560 and the new Jade.. Suggestions and comments?

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 10
The Floats picture just ******* MAKES this post XD

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:davidsh
 On another note, I think I'll be upgrading to some hi-end stuff, am considering hd800, HE-560 and the new Jade.. Suggestions and comments?

Has the new jade seen the light of day yet?

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 10
No but it should some time around summer from what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back