Review: DT 250-250, Ex-70LP and Porta CORDA at home and in portable application
Nov 26, 2002 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ramtha604

100+ Head-Fier
Lets start with some history:
smily_headphones1.gif

I found Head-Fi about 1 year ago during internet research, when my old cheapo-Sonys broke and I decided I needed a new, decent pair of headphones for my computer. I kept lurking for about a month, then after posting a thread, asking for advice, I settled on the Porta CORDA + Beyerdynamic DT 250-250, both of which I'm very fond of.

After almost two weeks of burning them in from time to time and doing some initial listening I started noticing a grattle in the right cup of my DT 250-250's, again asked for advice and sent them to Beyerdynamic Germany after mailing them, describing my problem to them. I got them back repaired after about 2 weeks to find out I had to pay ~50 € for the repair (still don't know why, as nothing concerning warranty or the void thereof was stated on the bill), but didn't want to post a thread just to whine about it; it's out now anyway.

I've been using the EX70 for about 1.5 years and the DT 250-250 and Porta Corda for 10 months and feel ready to post my impressions on all three of them:

My sources at home are mp3s from my PC with a Hercules Fortissimo II soundcard and an old JVC XL-E34 CD Player I borrowed from my mom; my portable source is a Sony mz-r70 md recorder.

The Beyerdynmaic DT 250-250:

Specifications: (taken from the .pdf)

Transducer type: Dynamic, closed
Transmission range: 10 - 30.000 Hz
Nominal Impredance: 250 ohms
Nominal sound pressure level at 1 kHz 98 db SPL at 1 mW
Nominal power rating: 100 mW
Ambient noise insulation: approx. 16 dBA
Average pressure on ears: 4.5 N
Weight without cable: 242 g
Picture: here

Build Quality: In one word: Sturdy. I'm transporting my DT 250-250 in my backpack without any packaging all the time without any problems. I've also worn them outside numerous times and due to their closed nature neither coldness nor wind nor some drops of rain here and there do them any harm.

Comfort: Unless you've got kinda big ears like me the DT 250-250 should be perfectly comfortable, but even for me comfort is great, now that I'm more used to them. Right when I got them that very sensitive spot right at the top of the skull started to hurt after 20 or so minutes of wearing them, but now I can wear them for hours without problems, just taking them off every few hours for a few minutes.

Looks: Personally I like their plain cold technical look and I've never noticed getting any strange looks when I started wearing them outside, the last few weeks. Them keeping my ears warm when it's cold outside is a plus, too.

Isolation: Their specs are 16 db isolation from the outside. They're isolating ambient noises good enough to warrant a pleasant listening experience at practically any volume, but you won't be able to talk to people at moderate to high volumes.

Sound: My impression is that these are very flat headphones. Everything seems to be there in the right proportions. Really deep, controlled, visceral bass, a liquid midrange and crisp, airy highs with no part of the frequency spectrum sounding somehow disjointed from the rest or emphasized/recessed. So far really anything (view my profile for info on my musical tastes) I've listened to on the DT 250-250 sounded great. I think they're really musical, although not in the sense of excessive warmth or at the cost of a sacrifice in detail. Their soundstage just sounds right to my (inexperienced) ears, that combined with their transparency makes it seem very easy to pinpoint instruments or follow sounds as they move around.

Efficency: Having an impedance rating of 250 Ohms neither the Hercules Fortissimo II nor the Sony MZ-R70 are able to drive the DT 250-250's beyond low moderate volumes. Only the JVC CD Player seems to be able to drive them with authority even without the Porta Corda. I never noticed them sounding really worse without additional amplification, but as already stated the volume suffers.

The Sony MDR-EX70LP:

Specifications: (taken from www.sonystyle.com)

Type: Lateral, In-the-ear, Closed, Dynamic
Driver Unit: 9mm diameter
Diaphragm: PET, long-throw
Magnet: 400 kJ/m high-power Neodymium
Cord: OFC; Neck Chain, 4 feet (1.2 m)
Plug: Gold-plated, L-Shaped, Stereo Mini Plug
Impedance: 16 ohms at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 100 db/mW
Frequency Response: 6 - 23.000 Hz
Weight: 0.1 oz. (4g), without cord

Build Quality: They're not as fragile as they look, however I've lost one of the medium sized earpieces because it somehow slipped off unnoticed while I wore them below the pullover.

Comfort: Personally I don't feel perfectly comfortable sticking something into my ears, though apart from that they are not uncomfortable and stay in place securely.

Looks: Unobtrusive, unspectacular.

Isolation: No specifications given, but they seem to isolate slightly better than the DT 250-250.

Sound: Overall they're lacking some detail and transparency due to the various flaws in their frequency response, specifically the emphasized highs, a recessed midrange and a rolled off subbass. I only rarely use them anymore since I started using the DT 250-250 for portable applications, too. I don't find them unpleasant to listen to, but they aren't worth the ~50 € I paid for them by far.

Efficency: From the specs they seem to be quite efficient with 100 db/mW at a mere 16 ohms, though strangely enough psychoacoustically the DT 250-250 seem to provide more volume given the same amplification.

The Porta CORDA:

Specifications: (taken from www.meier-audio.com)

Measures: 11.8 x 6.5 x 2.3 cm
Weight without battery: 100 gr.
Supply voltage: 6 .. (9) .. 28 Volts DC
Mean current uptake: 5 mA (4 mA LED OFF, 10 mA class-A mode)
Frequency range: 0 .. 100 kHz (DC-coupled)
Maximal amplification: 17 dB
Input impedance: 43 kOhm
Output impedance: 0 / 120* Ohm * plus adapter

Build Quality: Solid. I don't think it will ever just fall apart in my pocket. It survived a drop from 1 meter onto solid ground without any problems (as one would expect).

Looks: Functional.

Sound: With a fully charged accu the Porta CORDA drives the DT 250-250 as well as the EX70LP off the mz-r70 to maximum volume without trouble. At home I'm plugging it into a modded cheapo 26 volts power supply and it drives both my Headphones to any desired volume with full authority.

Crossfeed: Personally I could have lived without it, but nonetheless it is a nice feature to have, that I usually and mostly use for gaming, for better sound positioning, which works great. Used for music listening it moves the soundstage from around your head to before your head, making pinpointing instruments/following sounds around even easier in addition to seemingly making the DT 250-250 ever-so-slightly even more transparent, at the cost of a (maybe just psychoacoustically, I can't really tell) slightly weakened lowest bass octave.

That's it. I hope you enjoyed reading or at least weren't bored.
wink.gif
I'm curious to see if the DT 250-250 finally manages to jump out of the shadow of the easy-to-drive 250-80's (which I haven't heard myself until now) and finds some followers; I really think it deserves it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Questions, comments and feed back appreciated.

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Ramtha604
The Sony MDR-EX70LP:

Specifications: (taken from www.sonystyle.com)

Type: Lateral, In-the-ear, Closed, Dynamic
Driver Unit: 9mm diameter
Diaphragm: PET, long-throw
Magnet: 400 kJ/m high-power Neodymium
Cord: OFC; Neck Chain, 4 feet (1.2 m)
Plug: Gold-plated, L-Shaped, Stereo Mini Plug
Impedance: 16 ohms at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 100 db/mW
Frequency Response: 6 - 23.000 Hz
Weight: 0.1 oz. (4g), without cord

Build Quality: They're not as fragile as they look, however I've lost one of the medium sized earpieces because it somehow slipped off unnoticed while I wore them below the pullover.

Comfort: Personally I don't feel perfectly comfortable sticking something into my ears, though apart from that they are not uncomfortable and stay in place securely.

Looks: Unobtrusive, unspectacular.

Isolation: No specifications given, but they seem to isolate slightly better than the DT 250-250.

Sound: Overall they're lacking some detail and transparency due to the various flaws in their frequency response, specifically the emphasized highs, a recessed midrange and a rolled off subbass. I only rarely use them anymore since I started using the DT 250-250 for portable applications, too. I don't find them unpleasant to listen to, but they aren't worth the ~50 € I paid for them by far.

Hiya

Thanks for your insightful, yet seemingly overlooked thread
biggrin.gif

I have to pull you up on the sound quality of the EX70s though... They really do improve with EXTENSIVE break in... and i'm talking 2-300 hours here... the mids perk up a bit, and the treble calms down... they're really not that bad if you give them a lot of time
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Hiya

Thanks for your insightful, yet seemingly overlooked thread
biggrin.gif

I have to pull you up on the sound quality of the EX70s though... They really do improve with EXTENSIVE break in... and i'm talking 2-300 hours here... the mids perk up a bit, and the treble calms down... they're really not that bad if you give them a lot of time
biggrin.gif

Hey there, Duncan.

I don't really see us disagreeing here.
wink.gif

I'd guess my EX70's have about 200-400 hours of break in on them, and as I said they aren't unpleasant to listen to (= not bad), I just wouldn't pay as much for them again as I previously did. If they were just let's say 20 € cheaper they might be able to really hold their own in their price segment, but for 50 € I think one can do better than the EX70; unless of course one is after realtively cheap, unobstrusive and isolating headphones - then they might even be the only real choice.

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 15
ramtha604,
i too own the sony r70 md recorder, and am listening to some fsol on it right now with some d66 eggo headphones. i noticed you're using an amp with it, but mine only has a headphone out (no line out). are you amplifying the headphone jack, or do you know some way to get true line out (via the md menu)?

btw, the r70 is a somewhat overlooked md gem. this little monster has one of the best headphone outs i've heard on a portable of any kind, and is almost indestructable. i HIGHLY recommend the sony d66 eggos with the r70. the remote sucks, but i don't use remotes so... the d66 has roughly the same isolation as the ex70, but much better sound quality.

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 15
Hello redshifter.

You're right in assuming I am amplifying the headphone jack. It doesn't really seem to do the sound quality any harm and I'm wondering if it would make an audible difference if the MZ-R70 had a true line out, that I could use with the Porta CORDA.

Concerning the MZ-R70's capabilities I've made observations contrary to yours. A friend's pcdp and my brothers aiwa md recorder both had more powerful headphone jacks than my MZ-R70 when I tried them out. That was one of the reasons I got a portable headphone amp in the first place.

Overall my MZ-R70 is in good shape, considering it's got about two years of intense use on it's back, the only problem so far has been that the battery slot won't stay closed anymore without a rubber band around the unit, but that doesn't really bother me.

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 15
ramtha604,
yeah, i've heard of the battery door problem. mine still works, though.

from my experiments using a cha47 amp on the headphone out of the r70 vs. the line out of the sony mzr50, the line out is far superior. when i amplify the headphone out, as someone else said i'm just making the flaws of the lesser amp louder.

i have no doubt there are other portables with more powerful headphone amps in them than the r70. my sony d777 pcdp is one of them. what i like about the r70 sound is the warmth, and how it matches the d66 eggos well. i get more than enough volume using the r70 + d66, even when on the bus.

i have dropped my r70 many times, banged it around, and even once managed to flood it with water. it still works perfectly, and the metal case is still in great shape. i own many very good portables and this is one of them.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
ramtha604,

[...] btw, the r70 is a somewhat overlooked md gem. this little monster has one of the best headphone outs i've heard on a portable of any kind, and is almost indestructable.

Hey there, redshifter!

Sorry, I just noticed I just slightly misunderstood you there. I thought you ment to say the r70 had one of the most powerful headphone outputs when you seemingly only wanted to state that it had one of the best overall quality head phone jacks - which is a statement I can definately agree with.

best regards,
Ramtha604

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Ramtha064: Myword, yes, the DT250/250 definitely deserves more attention - sonically I find it very similar to the open DT531, which I like even better, as it's comfier for home use. And nice review, by the way!

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Where in Austria do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

P.P.S.: If you feel like another good headphone, I'd recommend to give the AKG K240S a try - it should be your patriotic duty, anyway!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Hey there lini,

>P.S.: Where in Austria do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all.
wink.gif
I'm living in the 22nd district of vienna, but I'll be moving to Langenzersdorf (at the north of vienna) in two weeks, and then I'm probably going to move again in the next 6 to twelve months.
wink.gif

>P.P.S.: If you feel like another good headphone, I'd recommend to give the AKG K240S a try - it should be your patriotic duty, anyway!

I'll give them a listen when I get the chance to, but currently I'm already having different purchasing plans and I'm not a patriot in the least.
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm using my set with the Nomad Zen XTRA. It drives them to moderate levels with no problems, certainly loud enough for me. I tried them with my Fixup Super-mini and the Nomad as well. I found it made virtually no difference, even with bass-heavy music. They're a very efficient headphone.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Thank you very much ToyTrains! I don't think the karma has as much power as the zen, but it's close. I don't suppose you've heard a 770 pro (250 ohm) with your zen?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back