[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #31 of 355
Quote:
Allow me to say that this is a brilliant review, very well done and you have fantastic hair. I hear very good things about Audio-Technica and feel that I should switch to their headphones from my current ones.

I have a question, if someone can please answer it. I have the Astro A40 headset and really want to do an upgrade (probably shouldn't but still want to). I'm leaning heavily towards the AD900X and wonder if the switch will be an "up" grade or a "lateral" grade.

Thank you! I never know what to think when people comment on the hair lol.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the headphone that you have at the moment. They will definitely sound different since the AD900X is open. What are you looking for in a sound?

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #32 of 355
Thank you! I never know what to think when people comment on the hair lol.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the headphone that you have at the moment. They will definitely sound different since the AD900X is open. What are you looking for in a sound?

I honestly would not know what to think either...

What I look for in sound? That's a good question, I honestly don't know how to answer it. I don't like sound that's changed or modified from how it originally sounds like; I stay away from mixers. I want it to be natural. If possible, I want to hear sound as it is intended.

Music that I listen to is slow in general; ambient. But I also have large quantities of J-Pop, Celtic, Orchestra/Instrumental, Post-Rock and electronic music.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 355
Great job, you got this on the front page. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #34 of 355
I always thought the A40 headset sounded terrible. IMO, it was a step down from several <$50 sets I have. I would imagine going to the AD900X would be like stepping into a whole other world. The mixamp is the best part of the A40 package in my experience.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 355
I've seen the Sony MDR-MA900 at a few stores at a lower price than the one you paid. Are they really good? I've been holding back because of the lack of reviews, the mixed existing reviews, and the fact that they look..."too open" (?). I mean, they even have a huge gap in the angled portion of the cup. I love my HD 598, which are open, but not as open. Do they let a lot of sound in? Since that's the only reason I'd get a pair. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #36 of 355
Definitely nice comparison, haven't heard the AD900X as of yet but I do wonder if they sound liquidy and synergistic like it's predecessor the AD900 + Yamamoto HA-02 amp. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #37 of 355
I've seen the Sony MDR-MA900 at a few stores at a lower price than the one you paid. Are they really good? I've been holding back because of the lack of reviews, the mixed existing reviews, and the fact that they look..."too open" (?). I mean, they even have a huge gap in the angled portion of the cup. I love my HD 598, which are open, but not as open. Do they let a lot of sound in? Since that's the only reason I'd get a pair. 

I've demo'd the MA900 at my local Sony store and can tell you that the music you play through them, at reasonable levels or more, is what you hear. Of course, anyone within 10 or so feet of you will also hear, too, but suffice to say that it does a decent job of allowing you to listen to your music in a semi noisy environment. Since they, and the AD900x (and any open phone, really) are open, though, don't expect them to isolate particularly well.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #38 of 355
I always thought the A40 headset sounded terrible. IMO, it was a step down from several <$50 sets I have. I would imagine going to the AD900X would be like stepping into a whole other world. The mixamp is the best part of the A40 package in my experience.

Interesting, I have heard people say that the MixAmp is half the "magic".
An AD900X would benefit from a sound card would it not? What are the opinions on Creative Sound Blaster Z?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #39 of 355
The MA900 sounds like it would be something right up my alley; a warm sound signature with strong mids.  A question for you: how transparent are the MA900's?  One of the best qualities of the Sennheiser HD600/650's is their transparent sound... a "window into the music" sound signature that makes you forget that you're wearing phones and just enjoy the music.  Do the MA900's compete in this regard?  If so, they are an instant buy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #43 of 355
Quote:
Great job, you got this on the front page. 
biggrin.gif

I'm tickled pink! Yay! :3

Quote:

They are very open headphones... if isolation was a concern at all I would probably skip them haha.

Quote:
The MA900 sounds like it would be something right up my alley; a warm sound signature with strong mids.  A question for you: how transparent are the MA900's?  One of the best qualities of the Sennheiser HD600/650's is their transparent sound... a "window into the music" sound signature that makes you forget that you're wearing phones and just enjoy the music.  Do the MA900's compete in this regard?  If so, they are an instant buy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm. I wish I had a pair on hand of HD600's to compare. My instinct is that no, the MA900 is not as transparent. I actually think the AD900X sounds slightly more transparent than the MA900 on quieter tracks. It's because the highs of the MA900 have a slight lower treble peak that make things sound a bit coloured at time. I aso don't think transients are tight enough to sound as natural as the Sennheisers. This is really just me talking off the top of my head though - I like the HD600 and HD650 every time I hear them.

Quote:
:') it's featured now a_rec. 

I'm glad that two pretty great head-fi bargains will get some more exposure :3

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #44 of 355
Didn't notice it at first, but in your MA900 review displayed on the Zune software there was Casey LaLonde's "Thank You". Must be a fan of Renard then too, eh? :wink:

Anyway, excellent review on both the MA900 and AD900x. I was looking into both before I finally settled on the DT880... still looking at the MA900 even though it might be moot.

Does the MA900 compare to the EX1000 in signature at all? One of my favorite DD IEMs; the only drawback being the design. If I could find something that sounds like it in a circumaural headphone I'd pretty damn happy.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #45 of 355
Quote:
Didn't notice it at first, but in your MA900 review displayed on the Zune software there was Casey LaLonde's "Thank You". Must be a fan of Renard then too, eh?
wink.gif

Anyway, excellent review on both the MA900 and AD900x. I was looking into both before I finally settled on the DT880... still looking at the MA900 even though it might be moot.

Does the MA900 compare to the EX1000 in signature at all? One of my favorite DD IEMs; the only drawback being the design. If I could find something that sounds like it in a circumaural headphone I'd pretty damn happy.

Haha. Yes I like Renard as well. I like collecting music that I can also use in videos!

I don't quite think they compare. The EX1000 is a lot more delicate, with more extended highs and much more linear bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back