[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Dec 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #61 of 113
Question about the presentation of the Z1000 v. the 1R: The Z1000 has a very much "in the head" sound for vocals like the SM3 that I really dislike (really the only problem I have with them). Does the 1R have the same characteristic? I know some people enjoy this intimacy, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering because I heard that the 1R has a larger soundstage and might have been able to get rid of the "in the head" vocals/mids of the Z1000.

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:
Question about the presentation of the Z1000 v. the 1R: The Z1000 has a very much "in the head" sound for vocals like the SM3 that I really dislike (really the only problem I have with them). Does the 1R have the same characteristic? I know some people enjoy this intimacy, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering because I heard that the 1R has a larger soundstage and might have been able to get rid of the "in the head" vocals/mids of the Z1000.

Thanks!

It sort of depends. Definitely the MDR-1R soundstage is wider than the Z1000's. However, the headphone still sounds quite intimate because of its mids emphasis, and in some respects because it is darker overall than the Z1000 it might even sound more intimate! I'm not sure how to answer your question one way or the other, so maybe you should see if you can demo them...

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #63 of 113
Yeah I might have to try them out. I don't mind intimate headphones but it's more the presentation that's the issue. Loved the UM3X presentation, hated the SM3 presentation from two different mid-centric IEMs. Hoping the 1R is closer to the UM3X

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #64 of 113
Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do this! I would have to disagree with you in that I think the TMA-1 is pretty damn ugly, but I'm no hipster
tongue.gif

I was a bit worried when you kept describing them as "dark" as I thought dark meant boomy upper bass and overly warm lower mids with recessed upper mids and treble, but I'm definitely with you when you say that you prefer a lot of sub bass. In fact, I always bump up everything below 60Hz on my EQ whenever possible. Which ones would you say have the most sub bass?

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #65 of 113
Quote:
Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do this! I would have to disagree with you in that I think the TMA-1 is pretty damn ugly, but I'm no hipster
tongue.gif

I was a bit worried when you kept describing them as "dark" as I thought dark meant boomy upper bass and overly warm lower mids with recessed upper mids and treble, but I'm definitely with you when you say that you prefer a lot of sub bass. In fact, I always bump up everything below 60Hz on my EQ whenever possible. Which ones would you say have the most sub bass?

In terms of sub-bass quantity, I feel it goes something like:

Momentum > M50 > UE6000 > MDR-1R > TMA-1 > Z1000

So the TMA-1 isn't actually all that dark by my standards, when I generally mean dark to mean more sub-bass vs warm o mean more mid bass. 

The TMA-1 just sounds really punchy because of a large emphasis somewhere in the mid-bass. It's the most unbalanced sounding of all of them and works for less musical genres. Darn comfy though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #67 of 113
Good review!  I have to agree that the TMA-1 (supposedly short for Tycho Magnetic Anomaly) are *not* balanced and in any way good for monitoring, but they sound oh so goooood.  They're very bassy, but it doesn't drown out the mids or the highs.  My only gripe is not with the earcups, but the headband - it's ********* coming off at the edges.  I may end up epoxying it back on if it gets bad enough.

One question: will pairing these with an amp change the sound for the better?

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #70 of 113
hey, i am looking to buy new headphones but i am confused. I am a sennheiser loyalist but i also want something that looks cool for now. I'm confused whether to buy the MDR 1R or the Momentum. I mostly listen to Progressive/Thrash/Hard Rock/Folk adn Acooustic but also sometimes Electronic/Dubstep etc. What do you recommend the most MDR !r, Momentum or Amperior?

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #71 of 113
Quote:
hey, i am looking to buy new headphones but i am confused. I am a sennheiser loyalist but i also want something that looks cool for now. I'm confused whether to buy the MDR 1R or the Momentum. I mostly listen to Progressive/Thrash/Hard Rock/Folk adn Acooustic but also sometimes Electronic/Dubstep etc. What do you recommend the most MDR !r, Momentum or Amperior?

I like the MDR-1R for acoustic (because of its gentle sound and atmospheric soundstage) but prefer the Momentum for electronic / dubstep for its precision and better bass response. I understand that the HD25 / Amperior is considered a great rock headphone (a bit too V for me) but I think the Momentum's would be pretty good too. There's those new black Momentums too :3

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #73 of 113
mdr-z1000 for $300 , what you think ? is it really better then m50 ?

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #74 of 113
Quote:
Good Gravy I really hope you do some kind of professional writing - superb job addressing the pertinent info and an entertaining delivery...made me chuckle (okay, smile)...Many Thanks 
size]

You are quite welcome! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
mdr-z1000 for $300 , what you think ? is it really better then m50 ?

I reckon for $300 I'd get the MDR-1R or the Momentums.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #75 of 113
Quote:
I reckon for $300 I'd get the MDR-1R or the Momentums.

1R is still to come and asking of momentum is at $455 . i think i sould wait for the price to settle down .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back