Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #662 of 694
Alright, here's my blurb on the DACport Slim.

This is meant for computer use. Not for smartphone use. YES, some smartphones will work with the DACport Slim at the cost of battery life. Some will need external power via a Y connector. Some will not work at all. For example, even my old Galaxy S3 would work with the DACport Slim with a simple male to male microUSB cable using the default music app. My HTC One M9 needed external power for the DACport to work properly, but once it did I had no problems using the default music app to play music. Otherwise, it would create a ticking noise when plugged in. I tested other cheapo chinese phones I had laying around which did not work with the Slim as well despite these phones running android. It's very hit or miss and the DACport Slim, being Class A, draws a lot of power. DO NOT BUY THIS DEVICE FOR SMARPHONE USAGE. It's small, but that's literally the only thing people see and they assume it's a direct dragonfly drop in replacement. If you still insist on doing so, ensure that your cable is an OTG cable. There is a distinct electrical difference between OTG and regular cables. I know for micro USB that there are 5 pins: data+, data-, 5v, OTG, and ground pins. OTG must be wired up to ground to enable OTG mode. If the cable you are using doesn't have the OTG pin hooked up, your android device will only act as a peripheral and not enter a host mode, therefore rendering the device at the other end useless. I've worked on thermal camera peripherals for android phones and have come across this issue plenty of times.

Firmware was only an issue on the very early batches of DACport Slim devices. If you bought a used device, then there might be an issue with the device being properly recognized by a Windows computer. I could not use my device on my desktop, but managed to find a laptop where it would connect. I then flashed the firmware there, which allowed my Slim to work on my desktop again. If you bought it new from Massdrop, there shouldn't be an issue with the firmware.

Now computer usage. Depends on the OS. Mac OS and Linux should generally be plug and play since they have had USB Audio Class(UAC) 2.0 drivers for a very long time. If you are running Windows 10, the story is VERY different.
Windows 10 only supported UAC 1.0(24/96) up until last year's Fall Creators update. This update brought default UAC 2.0, which should be able to support all the way up to 32/384. So theoretically if you are running at least last year's Windows 10 creator's update, you do not need the CEntrance driver and can output sound natively through the windows driver stack, since the slim is 24/192. If you are running older versions of Windows 10, then you will need the CEntrance driver.

Regarding the CEntrance driver:
If you are on a computer previously upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10, Microsoft does not enforce signed driver restrictions, allowing you to install and run the CEntrance driver with no issue. However, if you have reinstalled Windows 10 or had Windows 10 already installed on your computer, CEntrance's driver will install but fail activation since it is not signed by Microsoft. You will have to figure out how to disable driver signature enforcement and will also probably have to disable secure boot in your BIOS for the driver to work properly.

An updated driver has been promised for a LOOONG time. As it stands, CEntrance basically recommends that everyone updates to the very latest version of Windows 10 to ensure plug and play operability. As you can see, I no longer have either my DACport Slim or HD and sold them before last year's Fall Creator's Update rolled out and was unable to test it. However, a few folks on massdrop have confirmed plug and play operation, so it should work just fine.

I've gone ahead and cut out names, but this was my last e-mail with CEntrance. The support they gave was always attentive, but I was basically a beta tester for a full year and was getting tired of reoccuring and new issues popping up on my particular system. As far as I can tell, it has been over a year with no driver update or release. He does say ballpark, but we are a year past that ballpark estimate with no end in sight. Just false promises.

0LhIqyu.png

Sound-wise, the DACport Slim is awesome at $100 as long as you are using high impedance headphones >50Ohms or so. However, the firmware/software issues(especially the failed wake from sleep for me), high noise floor, and dongle form factor were just too annoying for me. As you can see in my signature, I've swapped over to some Schiit. To be fair, Schiit has their own fair share of problems(e.g. channel imbalance, scratchy pots), but "downgrading" to 24/96 to ensure easy plug and play compatibility and the crazy amount of features of the Fulla 2 works much better for my desktop use case scenario. I ended up buying a Magni 2 since the sound out of the Fulla 2 wasn't quite up to the DACport Slim/HD's level, and have been quite happy ever since.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #668 of 694
Nope still not working even with
verison 1.3 bilt apr 7 2016

Failed to verifyt current firmware (uplaod failed, eeror code -102 please contact supprot
press entre to close this window
*SIGH*

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_11-42-4.png
    upload_2017-12-13_11-42-4.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #669 of 694
I think either you have a lemon or old firmware.
The issue with getting firmware updated is that you have to find a computer that recognizes the dacport, which is obviously not the one you are using.

Give this firmware updater a try if you want.
You can also try this beta driver if you want.

Don't think the driver will work unless you get firmware or Windows 10 setup fixed though.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #670 of 694
nah also no luck SomeTechNoob.
detecting devices....no supported device is currently connected, or driver is not installed
press enter to close this window

Just to get confirm, the drive is the link that was emailed by centrance when I put in my detial and email address right - f rom the downlaod page

The dacport slim is getting warm, though

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #671 of 694
nah also no luck SomeTechNoob.
detecting devices....no supported device is currently connected, or driver is not installed
press enter to close this window

Just to get confirm, the drive is the link that was emailed by centrance when I put in my detial and email address right - f rom the downlaod page

Did it ever work?

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #672 of 694
The driver I posted is v7.9.9.1, an unreleased beta test version. The firmware is also an unreleased beta test version. Both are a bit over a year old. I didn't notice any particular issues when I was using them.

It does run warm. So it's getting power. Just looks like firmware or driver issues. I think you'll need to find another computer and try updating the firmware there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back