Review: CARY Audio XCiter
Dec 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct. I am awaiting the arrival of the DAC and will be happy to pass along impressions. I have the CARY 306SACD and 303/300. I wonder if the Xciter DAC will have a similar sound signature to either of these. Time will tell.

Nice. 306SACD is one of my favorites. I haven't A-B'd 306SACD to 303/300 back-to-back and the Xciter DAC is interesting as well, so we expect the blow-by-blow when everything arrives
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #18 of 33
I have been in contact with Dennis regarding more clarification regarding the Xciter. Dennis was kind enough to explain the following:

"In my mind I had a desire to design and produce a desk top compact triode amplifier with low power consumption and absolute glorious triode Cary sound. At the same time I was deep into the design of a stand alone DAC with USB computer compatibility. Therefore I chose the all time favorite mighty 6L6 beam power tube. The 6L6 along with a KT-88 wired in the triode mode has a very similar curve line as a 300B or 2A3. Keeping in mind light weight and compact, I chose a Toroidal power transformer and all aluminum chassis. The high voltage in the Xciter amplifier on the plate of the 6L6’s is only 300 VDC. Operating 6L6’s in the triode mode class A, push pull, at the modest 300 volt range will produce the 5 watts per channel. In this type of design I would not be surprised if the 6L6 output tubes last for 10 years or more. KT-88’s even longer. Never a tube problem. In fact the Xciter amp is designed to run 24/7 until the power company turns off your juice! Oh, on another note, I also discovered that running 6L6’s, KT-88’s or EL-34’s in triode with lower plate voltage yielded a sonic signature not too dissimilar to the 2A3 and 300B sound. You know …. The higher the voltage and power the more corrupt the sound. You know I stand for honesty and NO corruption. Power corrupts and higher power corrupts absolutely more!!!!!!!!!"

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 33
Looks like a nice amp...thanks for the review.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been in contact with Dennis regarding more clarification regarding the Xciter. Dennis was kind enough to explain the following:

"In my mind I had a desire to design and produce a desk top compact triode amplifier with low power consumption and absolute glorious triode Cary sound. At the same time I was deep into the design of a stand alone DAC with USB computer compatibility. Therefore I chose the all time favorite mighty 6L6 beam power tube. The 6L6 along with a KT-88 wired in the triode mode has a very similar curve line as a 300B or 2A3. Keeping in mind light weight and compact......."

Nice specs too. The small size is appealing since it can blend in with any room and still give a large sound. I like the idea.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 33
The price point is right around where their 300 sei integrated amp sells for used and they are reasonably easy to find ...and drive high efficiency speakers well ...so if anyone can do a review of the two amps, it would be helpful. If the headphone amp is better on this, I think they will not cannibalize their own market for the well-regarded 300sei.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the manual, if you want more info..
http://www.caryaudio.com/pdfs/manuals/Xciter_manual.pdf

straight from the manual:

"Dear Cary Audio Customer:

I am so pleased and excited about the new Cary Audio Design Xciter, stereo vacuum tube integrated amplifier. I have spent countless hours designing and refining this very special vacuum tube amplifier. The Xciter started life in April of 2008 as a companion to a new digital to analog USB converter I was designing. I had recently discovered the merits of computer full bandwidth audio. In fact I found my self watching DVD’s on the computer and using the new Xciter amplifier and a pair of C4 Dynaudio loudspeakers in my listening room. In my lab I found myself listening to the Xciter amplifier with the amazing Grado SR-1000 headphones. What a neat combination. I thought this combo had merit and began percolating the final designs in my in my head. Then to the drawing board."

SR-1000?
ph34r.gif

can you say fail.
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it is better than Zana Deux.

having owned the Cary 300b amp and heard their KT88 integrated I'd say not likely. Neither of the two Cary amps I spent time with had the detail and extension of the Zana. The xciter is a nice amp and I am glad that larger amps makers are giving headphones a shot but I still they have a little way to go. Now that Cary 300b that I heard at the NYC meet that has heavy mods to make it HP only and improve the signal path was really nice.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 33
^^ i figured that, but i think it looks bad - esp since this amp is geared toward the headphone crowd. it seems like they don't know what they are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back