Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800
Sep 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #46 of 112

Quote:
Some more time with good speakers and the LCD-2 and you may see the light :wink:No plastic bass reflex bass out of the LCD-2 and no mid bass hump.

One of the rare cans that measure dead neutral in the bass...my ears seem to agree with the measurements this time.
wink_face.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #47 of 112

Quote:

Ever heard Mozart's works for the clarinet and orchestral transcriptions of Tchaikovsky's seasons?

That part of the midrange doesn't seem to scale correctly (where clarinets blossom) with increase of volume on either the K-702 or T1.

And this is not bass/mid bass. Bowed bass sounds very nice on the K-70x and I have zero complaints. I don't listen with a frequency analyzer in my ears
tongue_smile.gif
, but the K702 lends particular emphasis on female vocals but doesn't let the rest of the midrange bloom as much. Neither does the T1.

Please try the T1s out of an amp that synergizes with them. The Burson was far from ideal and while the Headroom Micro Amp was better, they both do not fully take the T1s to their potential.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #48 of 112

Quote:

Ever heard Mozart's works for the clarinet and orchestral transcriptions of Tchaikovsky's seasons?

That part of the midrange doesn't seem to scale correctly (where clarinets blossom) with increase of volume on either the K-702 or T1.

And this is not bass/mid bass. Bowed bass sounds very nice on the K-70x and I have zero complaints. I don't listen with a frequency analyzer in my ears
tongue_smile.gif
, but the K702 lends particular emphasis on female vocals but doesn't let the rest of the midrange bloom as much. Neither does the T1.

Maybe you need to try out the JH-13, they are great and almost perfect across the mid's, they have some roll-off bass but still almost perfect... I just hope they fix the bass issues with the JH-16.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 112

Quote:

Maybe you need to try out the JH-13, they are great and almost perfect across the mid's, they have some roll-off bass but still almost perfect... I just hope they fix the bass issues with the JH-16.

This is the album, Acix... maybe your girlfriend has this in her collection as she is a classical aficionado and pianist...
smile.gif

The K-702 does reasonably well with the Burson, majoring on soundstaging, transparency and resolution, but my Wharfedale Diamonds render the clarinet with awesome presence and sweetness.

This speaker... not as uncolored or highly resolved like the K-702, but very very pleasurable, across the mids.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/10/CID/48/language/en-GB/Default.aspx#detail

Stereophile review:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1105wharfedale/index.html

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #50 of 112
^ I need to check her collection, I think she have some Tchaikovsky, about the Dimonds I've work on them in some studio 6 years a go, they are very sweet and even balanced with a good transparency and resolution at the time...but to day you have the Adams and the Focal with a better resolution / transparency ( something about the Focal's remind me the Dimonds).

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 112
^ I need to check her collection, I think she have some Tchaikovsky, about the Dimonds I've work on them in some studio 6 years a go, they are very sweet and even balanced with a good transparency and resolution at the time...but to day you have the Adams and the Focal with a better resolution / transparency ( something about the Focal sound remind me the Dimonds).

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #56 of 112
Jeez, no kidding.

This reminds me of two drunks who get thrown out of every bar they go into because they can't stop fighting and arguing.

Back on topic, kudos to the OP Asr for the remarkable review. Covered every base in about as fair a manner as one can. I really like the way all contenders faced off against one another. This is the sort of review that makes you want to go listen to headphones rather than go to sleep.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #57 of 112
Great Review!

But the T1 is an improved K701?? I can't agree with that at all. I've had extensive headtime with both, and although the K701 has similarities with the T1 they sound nothing alike. Well that's my take on it. I think they sound closer to the HD800 than anything..

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #58 of 112
Quote:
Asr, I have the K-702 and the T1 and I find both to have some shortcomings when they try to render clarinets, especially clarinets and violins together. The clarinet seems to take too much of a back seat, even though the pitch is correct on the K-702. Your thoughts?

I don't own any classical-music recordings that feature violin and clarinet together, so maybe you should mention which one you're using so I can listen to it too. The closest equivalent I have though is the Concerto for oboe and violin in C minor (BWV 1060) on Julia Fischer's Bach Concertos and I haven't heard much to complain about on the T1.

Quote:
One more thing might be the configuration of the M³ head amp (here the version made by Rockhopper Audio...): As a longtime M³ user (and I also built it and chose the parts on my own) I'd like to call attention to the selection of opamps used in the M³. In my experience BurrBrown Opamps like the OPA 627/637AP (I think Rockhopper Audio chose them) are not the best choice for the HD800, because the combination tends to have a dry midrange and a slightly sharp trebble. Maybe the AD 843 would be a more neutral (or warmer) choice for the HD800.

The OPA627/637AP paired with the T1 tend to sound a bit warm and maybe the bass control is a bit too loose. No idea so far what opamp could have the best synergy with the T1 ...

The Rockhopper M3 that I used has its specs listed here (which include the choice of op-amp): http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/store/2009/11/15/sold-balanced-m3-for-sale.html

Quote:
But the T1 is an improved K701?? I can't agree with that at all. I've had extensive headtime with both, and although the K701 has similarities with the T1 they sound nothing alike. Well that's my take on it. I think they sound closer to the HD800 than anything..

As this is the 3rd post I've seen to disagree with the point of the T1 being an improved version of the K701, some more specifics about this would be appreciated. What is it exactly you guys are finding too different between the two headphones?

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #59 of 112
I find that they may sound similar, but they are very different. An example would be the soundstage of both. The K701's stage is very wide, but not beep or high. The T1's is slightly smaller sounding, but has more depth and height to it. The T1's is a bit airier sounding though.

Quote:
As this is the 3rd post I've seen to disagree with the point of the T1 being an improved version of the K701, some more specifics about this would be appreciated. What is it exactly you guys are finding too different between the two headphones?

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #60 of 112
Quote:
I find that they may sound similar, but they are very different. An example would be the soundstage of both. The K701's stage is very wide, but not beep or high. The T1's is slightly smaller sounding, but has more depth and height to it. The T1's is a bit airier sounding though.

Seeing as you're using the ROC as amp, is your pair of T1 running as a balanced one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back