[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3,346 of 7,021
Quote:

Quote:
What about attack/speed? Decay? Just curious.

Quote:

While you're at it,

Imaging, layering, separation, texturing, etc.

All due to FR, though with transients, it's more like the two working working together in unison. 

Really? Really?? REALLY???!!!

God, all those stupid manufacturers who just can't get the FR right and get perfect attack, speed, decay, imaging, layering, separation, texturing, AND etc. If only they knew better.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3,347 of 7,021
Quote:
All due to FR, though with transients, it's more like the two working working together in unison. 

I agree that FR has a lot to do with it (a lot), but isn't decay more related to resonance, whether it be from the driver itself or the ear canal? For example many iems have a ringing (long decay) at 10k; would the ringing still be present if eq was used to lower 10k? My guess is that ringing would still be present but less emphasized. 

I mostly see things like imaging, layering, resolution, separation and texturing as perceptual descriptions. They describe how we perceive things, and they can be massively different between people. These descriptions are affected by physical properties of iems like distortion, decay, impedance and frequency response to some extent. I see the first set of descriptions I mentioned (imaging etc.) as totally separate from physical iem properties like distortion. 

Some properties of iems I'm on the fence about, or need more information. Attack is one. I know that has to do with square wave measurements, but I know FR is also involved.  

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,348 of 7,021
As long as it sounds good to your ears, why bother about the FR graphs?

As far as I've seen from Rin's blog, non of the IEMs are theoretically sound?

There's a saying that goes, "it may be theoretically sound, but practically useless".

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,349 of 7,021
Quote:

I agree that FR has a lot to do with it (a lot), but isn't decay more related to resonance, whether it be from the driver itself or the ear canal? For example many iems have a ringing (long decay) at 10k; would the ringing still be present if eq was used to lower 10k? My guess is that ringing would still be present but less emphasized. 

I mostly see things like imaging, layering, resolution, separation and texturing as perceptual descriptions. They describe how we perceive things, and they can be massively different between people. These descriptions are affected by physical properties of iems like distortion, decay, impedance and frequency response to some extent. I see the first set of descriptions I mentioned (imaging etc.) as totally separate from physical iem properties like distortion. 

Some properties of iems I'm on the fence about, or need more information. Attack is one. I know that has to do with square wave measurements, but I know FR is also involved.  

Yup, decay occurs cause of resonance and causes a shift in the FR, they are all principles working in unison.Ringing will still be there. Yup perception terms due to FR, transients and distortion. "Attack" needs a very specific definition. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3,350 of 7,021
While you're at it,

Imaging, layering, separation, texturing, etc.

As I see it they could all be achieved with tuning IF the driver is fast enough with a short decay. If I'm not mistaking. But back to the subject. I got my ASG-2 yesterday. What was the real issue wasn't the bass. It was the out-of-the-box sibilance in the "S"-department. Running a few sine sweeps down low sounds to MY EARS WITH SMALL AUVIO TIPS like this:

Matched for comfortable volume at 1kHz.
Nothing to note from 1kHz to 300Hz. A bump somewhere around 150-250Hz. And then just a slight decrease from 120 or so down to 40Hz where the real slope starts. 30Hz is still clearly heard/felt but 20Hz is barely felt at all. This is out of the box and to my ears only. I was getting scared of the bass because of all the talk but now I'm not anymore. But the sibilance is an issue right now. Will try the double flanges this afternoon. And yes, I do occasionally enjoy a poorly mastered record from time to time. Just like I do some cheaper scotch. Can't always drink 23 YO Bowmore.

By the way. The build is simply great. Frosted version, I got the black cables. I might write some kind of review later on but I think there are quite a few very well written pieces on these already.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,351 of 7,021
Quote:
But the sibilance is an issue right now. Will try the double flanges this afternoon. And yes, I do occasionally enjoy a poorly mastered record from time to time. Just like I do some cheaper scotch. Can't always drink 23 YO Bowmore.

Try a shallower fit. That along with the wide bore of the large Auvio tips lessened the sibilance for me.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #3,352 of 7,021
As I see it they could all be achieved with tuning IF the driver is fast enough with a short decay. If I'm not mistaking. But back to the subject. I got my ASG-2 yesterday. What was the real issue wasn't the bass. It was the out-of-the-box sibilance in the "S"-department. Running a few sine sweeps down low sounds to MY EARS WITH SMALL AUVIO TIPS like this:

Nothing to note from 1kHz to 300Hz. A bump somewhere around 150-250Hz. And then just a slight decrease from 120 or so down to 40Hz where the real slope starts. 30Hz is still clearly heard/felt but 20Hz is barely felt at all. This is out of the box and to my ears only. I was getting scared of the bass because of all the talk but now I'm not anymore. But the sibilance is an issue right now. Will try the double flanges this afternoon. And yes, I do occasionally enjoy a poorly mastered record from time to time. Just like I do some cheaper scotch. Can't always drink 23 YO Bowmore.

By the way. The build is simply great. Frosted version, I got the black cables. I might write some kind of review later on but I think there are quite a few very well written pieces on these already.

Burning in helps to cut down the sibilance by alot.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #3,353 of 7,021
Burning in helps to cut down the sibilance by alot.

Try a shallower fit. That along with the wide bore of the large Auvio tips lessened the sibilance for me.

Ok, thanks. Will try that. The reason I snatched the small auvio tips were actually that they help get that nice extension from the modded UE900 and I thought that rhey might do wonders for the ASG-2. But I'm not jumping to any definite conclusions until 200+ hours of burn/listen. Until then I'm going to tip roll a bit. Btw, have any of you tried impedance adapters? Maybe something that also lessens the sensitivity. I'm a bit concerned if my BH rubs against anything and raises the volume a lot since they're actually quite sensitive. I would try my UE adapter but just managed to lose it yesterday 2 hours prior to the arrival of my G-2's.

EDIT: I decored a pair of Ts500. 400 should work as well. They remove most of the sibilance but kinda muffle the rest of the sound. Maybe I've become spoiled by the effortless extension and higher peak (higher frequency, not as bothersome) on my modded UE900. But I'm sure we will become good friends, G-2 and I. I feel like it's equivalent to eating salty and fatty food; you know it's not really healthy or how the ingredients actually taste but it's tastier that way.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,354 of 7,021
Quote:
I got my ASG-2 yesterday. 

Finally! Congrats.

Hmm. Try the larger Auvios. It sounds like the small tips may be accentuating this.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,355 of 7,021
I was getting harsh sibilance when I first received mine. Whether it is burn in or the ortofon tips I find the treble a bit too laid back after a couple weeks. Coincidental the midbass became more accentuated.

My pair should be shipped back to be in another week or so and I would be able to provide updated impressions.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3,356 of 7,021
Quote:

Finally! Congrats.

Hmm. Try the larger Auvios. It sounds like the small tips may be accentuating this.

Thanks :) Yeah it took long enough. I paid July 11th and got them yesterday. But hey, **** happens. For now I'm happy with a shallow fit and decored Ts500 (luckily I ordered some Comply foams with the "Schoolswag"-code). They will be fine until the sibilance settles. Roll away your stone by Mumford & Sons was probably the most ear piercing experience I've had in a long time with the small auvios. Will post an update when the sibilance disappears, they're burning in right now.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #3,357 of 7,021
Quote:

Thanks :) Yeah it took long enough. I paid July 11th and got them yesterday. But hey, **** happens. For now I'm happy with a shallow fit and decored Ts500 (luckily I ordered some Comply foams with the "Schoolswag"-code). They will be fine until the sibilance settles. Roll away your stone by Mumford & Sons was probably the most ear piercing experience I've had in a long time with the small auvios. Will post an update when the sibilance disappears, they're burning in right now.

Well there's part of the problem! I remember Marcus' voice being especially bad. 

Try the large Auvios again with roll away your stone. And this track also...it's one of my sibilance tests

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #3,359 of 7,021
Quote:
Large auvios barely helped. Decored Ts500 are better for now. But that has to be one of the worst tracks as far as sibilance goes. 

I think eke's got the wrong James Morrison — I think he meant this James Morrison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1l8T2Lcl0

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #3,360 of 7,021
just got these in my ears. they look a lot better than the pictures.

first thing i notice is how much bass there is. Something i'll need my ears to get adjusted to. And i would agree with a lot of the talk that a lot of it is mid bass. Would wish for more sub bass but honestly so far, im pretty happy with these.

PRobably the bassiest thing ive put in my ears tho 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back