[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,181 of 7,021
Maybe give them a custom paint job like idsy when the finish hits the dusk eke? Get dale to touch them up?

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3,182 of 7,021
First off, I'd like to thank Eke for being brave—yes, brave—and confident enough to have his ASG-2s tested / auditioned by several (experienced) head-fiers, some of whom he knows will be very honest—too honest perhaps!—even if they happen to like him and know how fond he is of the ASG-2s. It isn't always easy to get genuine impressions which are not too coloured by biases, agendas, friendship / peer pressure, people with close ties to the manufacturer, etc. Not easy, either, to get someone with Eke's genuine will / spirit to search, find out, and not be easily fooled by so much BS, marketing gimmicks and plenty of snake oil found in our so-called hobby. But Eke, like all of us, has his own preferences, too, and enthusiasm that sometimes may get the better of most of us; Eke's genuinely passionate about music and gear—always a good thing in by book… AND exploring and learning.

Okay, have done a bit of A/Bing between the AF-4s & ASG-2s (about 20 mins). Unfortunately, when I switch from the F4s to the G2s, something seems to be missing with the latter — can't quite put my finger on it yet, but the F4s sound more natural, more even, so to speak. The G2s seem to be missing something particularly when they transition between the midrange to higher registers; the only word I can think of is something sounds a bit 'hollow', something just not quite right. But I need to stress that I only notice this more clearly when switching from the F4s to the G2s (which I can do very quickly with my V200 which has two HP outs).

Also, the F4s do seem to reach deeper (sub-bass area) than the G2s — some, though I know this may seem contradictory, may not enjoy that aspect of the F4s that much. The G2's dynamic driver may have the slight upper hand in texture and timbre over the F4s, but only very slightly. I think some people may genuinely prefer the G2s. Not me…. so far... and I still believe more people would find the F4s more their cup of tea.

If I'm comparing the F4s with the G2s, it's because I've only recently got the former, and both IEMs are similarly priced: The FA-4E, a German-made IEM, retails for 385€ (~$510) but can be had for less even in the USA as the on-line shop that sells the FA-4 deducts German tax (~20%) when shipping outside the EU (though you have to add shipping costs to the USA / outside the EU, but it still works out cheaper for people residing outside the EU).

Perhaps our grumpy sparrow is just a bloody FA-4 fanboy but he just won't admit it!

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #3,183 of 7,021
Got the ASG-2 loaner today.

Ergonimics: These are very comfortable IEMs, more so than the InEar StageDiver 2, but not as comfy as the Fischer Amps FA-4E (FA-4), but then no other IEM is as comfy as the FA-4, though the UM3X came very close.

Accessories: Very nice Otter (?) box, a cleaning tool, a bass dial tool, plus an assortment of tips, though I think some of these tips don't actually come with the ASG-2s.

Build quality: Ok-ish. The pair I have I think is the Stealth version and there's quite a bit of paint that has come off already, specially on the left earpiece. I was trying to get my Ortofon tips on the left housing and noticed some more paint was chipping off (!!). I gave up and left the stock tips which offer a perfect fit for my ears. This is frankly unacceptable for an IEM that retails for $550 in the USA (and more outside the US). Also, if this is the Stealth model, which seems to be even more expensive, this is even less acceptable. I'd have thought this was black plastic (like the W4) instead of frost / clear plastic shells painted black — the latter will inevitably cause the paint to chip off with constant use (sweat and body oils).

(click on photo)

Sonics. (Source: MacBook Pro > V200 (with onboard DAC) > ASG-2)

Having spent about 40 mins with the ASG-2s, they remind me of the 334s somewhat, but the latter, from memory, is a more refined and better-sounding IEM, with better treble performance and a midrange I found more to my liking. However, the ASG-2s do sound very nice and are quite engaging. They are warm-ish, but not as warm / thick as I was expecting. Treble is polite, but you do get plenty of details in the music without too much effort; they do lack air, though.

Mids are lush, a bit too lush at times due to lower mids / upper bass & mid-bass presence, but for the most part, so far, the midrange sounds quite nice. I do hear sub-bass presence clearly but mid-bass dominates the low-end, but not as much / bad as I was fearing.

The sound is full, again reminding me of the 334s, but the 334's layering was a step above (from memory). I expected the ASG-2s to sound more in-your-head, but they, in fact, do have quite a decent soundstage, not overly wide, but wide enough and certainly with plenty of depth.

Now, I don't generally listen to music at loud volumes, but I know the ASG-2, like the 334, would become too much after a short while (20-40 mins) due to the low-end energy, but that's me and my sensitivity to loud sounds and 'loud' bass (I also had low-end issues with the Sennheiser IE800). But, if you crank it up for a little while, the ASG-2s can be quite exciting.

now that music4321 has spoken i feel a relief :)

yep, i have no idea of FA4, but it would be interesting to hear how ASG2 stand against SD2 and SD3.

But then i DO agree with music, comparisons are not what makes IEM better or worse, i find it more simple way, either it sounds good or not, that's all what counts.

Music4321, i am all ears to hear your impressions :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,184 of 7,021
Quote:
First off, I'd like to thank Eke for being brave—yes, brave—and confident enough to have his ASG-2s tested / auditioned by several (experienced) head-fiers, some of whom he knows will be very honest—too honest perhaps!—even if they happen to like him and know how fond he is of the ASG-2s. It isn't always easy to get genuine impressions which are not too coloured by biases, agendas, friendship / peer pressure, people with close ties to the manufacturer, etc. Not easy, either, to get someone with Eke's genuine will / spirit to search, find out, and not be easily fooled by so much BS, marketing gimmicks and plenty of snake oil found in our so-called hobby. But Eke, like all of us, has his own preferences, too, and enthusiasm that sometimes may get the better of most of us; Eke's genuinely passionate about music and gear—always a good thing in by book… AND exploring and learning.

Okay, have done a bit of A/Bing between the AF-4s & ASG-2s (about 20 mins). Unfortunately, when I switch from the F4s to the G2s, something seems to be missing with the latter — can't quite put my finger on it yet, but the F4s sound more natural, more even, so to speak. The G2s seem to be missing something particularly when they transition between the midrange to higher registers; the only word I can think of is something sounds a bit 'hollow', something just not quite right. But I need to stress that I only notice this more clearly when switching from the F4s to the G2s (which I can do very quickly with my V200 which has two HP outs).

Also, the F4s do seem to reach deeper (sub-bass area) than the G2s — some, though I know this may seem contradictory, may not enjoy that aspect of the F4s that much. The G2's dynamic driver may have the slight upper hand in texture and timbre over the F4s, but only very slightly. I think some people may genuinely prefer the G2s. Not me…. so far... and I still believe more people would find the F4s more their cup of tea.

If I'm comparing the F4s with the G2s, it's because I've only recently got the former, and both IEMs are similarly priced: The FA-4E, a German-made IEM, retails for 385€ (~$510) but can be had for less even in the USA as the on-line shop that sells the FA-4 deducts German tax (~20%) when shipping outside the EU (though you have to add shipping costs to the USA / outside the EU, but it still works out cheaper for people residing outside the EU).

Perhaps our grumpy sparrow is just a bloody FA-4 fanboy but he just won't admit it!

Could be the dips at ~2.5k and/or ~5k? The ASG-2's mids/upper-mids aren't the smoothest. I remember liking lower voices more than higher voices, which might be related imo.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3,185 of 7,021
Could be the dips at ~2.5k and/or ~5k? The ASG-2's mids/upper-mids aren't the smoothest. I remember liking lower voices more than higher voices, which might be related imo.

This is most likely it, but interestingly enough what with all the wordings we use, I find it makes them "dense" as opposed to "hollow." I know we're all talking about the same thing so this is a good study of perception I think.

Bumping up 2k and 4.5k will give more "air" bring back missing detail and provide an extra layer to the sound, which I hear as less "dense" (or more "hollow").

Nice impressions music!

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #3,186 of 7,021
Quote:

(...)

Mmmm....

I have ASG-2s on their way (upgrade from ASG-1.1, which I loved for their bass and timbre).

And I considered FA-4s for a while, being next to Germany (France).

Makes me want to buy FA-4s and compare them to ASG-2s just for the fun of disagreeing with you.
biggrin.gif
k701smile.gif

I want to finally get something I would consider an upgrade for my SE535Ltd's amazing separation and mids. Especially on the bass side, which are kind of shy compared to ASG-1s.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,187 of 7,021
Quote:
This is most likely it, but interestingly enough what with all the wordings we use, I find it makes them "dense" as opposed to "hollow." I know we're all talking about the same thing so this is a good study of perception I think.

Bumping up 2k and 4.5k will give more "air" bring back missing detail and provide an extra layer to the sound, which I hear as less "dense" (or more "hollow").

Nice impressions music!

Yeah that actually makes sense too. "Missing" frequencies can take away from the sense of detail, space and realism, mainly because there is important information in those frequencies (especially at ~2k and ~5k) that is not as audible as the other surrounding frequencies. To me, this is why having a flat response through the mids is important. I'm not necessarily talking about DF or O-W, but linear and without dips is usually a very good thing to my ears.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,188 of 7,021
Quote:
Mmmm....

I have ASG-2s on their way (upgrade from ASG-1.1, which I loved for their bass and timbre).

And I considered FA-4s for a while, being next to Germany (France).

Makes me want to buy FA-4s and compare them to ASG-2s just for the fun of disagreeing with you.
biggrin.gif
k701smile.gif

I want to finally get something I would consider an upgrade for my SE535Ltd's amazing separation and mids. Especially on the bass side, which are kind of shy compared to ASG-1s.

I say 385€ is a pretty good price to pay to disagree with our most charming & friendly head-fier.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,189 of 7,021
i would love to hear FA4 and else European earphones but as always in Europe little chance to try anything besides few big brands, none of these special IEMs is present in shops here and i do not fancy paying deposit to the online shop for testing and then bearing shipping costs, do not get me wrong i gladly would pay shipping costs for a fellow headfier but company which sells them must allow users free listen. i am mad at EU service and could not care less what they have if they do not know how to sell and approach customer.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,190 of 7,021
Quote:

Nice impressions music!

I think the tuning of the upper mids was a response to the reaction to the ASG-1.0. The upper mids were too boosted for regular listening use, leading to strange tonality and rapid fatigue with more energetic vocals. I don't mind the G2's tuning, as I hear all the details without experiencing fatigue. 

@sir sparrow, I passed my set around because it's fascinating to hear how differently we all describe the same things. IMO, the ASG-2 surpasses the 334 in performance, and loses out slightly to the IE800, which has the best mids I've heard. I know of other owners who own the 1P2, 334, etc all at the same time as the ASG-2 who agree, but are too busy to post impressions. One sold his 334 and 1P2 shortly after getting the G-2. On the other hand, there are others who don't agree, and others who think the IE800 is a turd.

All the same, I'm glad you get to hear it. I'd also love if you could test out the other cable included in the package to see if you hear a difference.

RE: my personal ASG-2's stealth finish, it's not typical. It's a long story, but I can't point fingers in any one direction. Either way, they've switched to an epoxy based finishing technique. You can compare my more glossy set to the newer matte finish:

75ff5725_IMAG0008.jpeg

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,191 of 7,021
Quote:

Nice impressions music!

X2 on everything said, particularly the last one!  
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
i would love to hear FA4 and else European earphones but as always in Europe little chance to try anything besides few big brands, none of these special IEMs is present in shops here and i do not fancy paying deposit to the online shop for testing and then bearing shipping costs, do not get me wrong i gladly would pay shipping costs for a fellow headfier but company which sells them must allow users free listen. i am mad at EU service and could not care less what they have if they do not know how to sell and approach customer.

No offense, but I think that's a bit overdone. A company offering to ship demo phones to you for free and just expecting you to pay a security deposit and return shipping cost is providing poor customer service? 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,192 of 7,021
Quote:

All the same, I'm glad you get to hear it. I'd also love if you could test out the other cable included in the package to see if you hear a difference.

Will do — you know I just luuuv doing lots of A/B'ing!  :wink:

Quote:
No offense, but I think that's a bit overdone. A company offering to ship demo phones to you for free and just expecting you to pay a security deposit and return shipping cost is providing poor customer service? 
rolleyes.gif

Agreed.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,193 of 7,021
X2 on everything said, particularly the last one!  :smile_phones:

No offense, but I think that's a bit overdone. A company offering to ship demo phones to you for free and just expecting you to pay a security deposit and return shipping cost is providing poor customer service?  :rolleyes:

James, tell me why when i come to a shop in the States i just ask them and they have it, when i come to a shop in Europe and i tried not only Austria not only they do not have but also they have no interest whatsoever tpin getting one for me? sometimes i call makers directly because no idea how to get this otherwise and since the rest of the world gives me plenty choices with better prices and flexibility why would i bother about European makers who do not know how to sell?

Sorry for this rant but if you would experience service in the States and Singapore you would understand me, even Chinese become miles ahead of us here in Europe. This is pity because Europeans have very good products but sometimes i am not prepared to go at lenghts to get the product unless this is something really special.

perhaps it is bit overdone but this lousy business approach deserves same kind response from me, no good word for them.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3,194 of 7,021
Quote:

I must disagree on this. You'll get the deposit back Gintaras. But you can't expect the manufacturer to pay shipping costs to you. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually cover shipping to you. But shipping back that is on you. It is a small price to pay to demo gear and it's not a right but a privilege IMO.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,195 of 7,021
I must disagree on this. You'll get the deposit back Gintaras. But you can't expect the manufacturer to pay shipping costs to you. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they would actually cover shipping to you. But shipping back that is on you. It is a small price to pay to demo gear and it's not a right but a privilege IMO.

I think G was referring to dealers (who typical have markups to cover these marketing costs over say etailers or direct sale manufacturers).

Anyway now being in Hong Kong had me so spoiled I can hardly fathom buying anything blind again.

Also guys, re finishing, no need to be worried as Dale and Aurisonic do take pride in their work and will take care any issue. My chrome finish had a small defect on the left side, and Dale had took it back to redo it for me, completely free. This, as well as other initiative like the upgrade programme, shows their dedication to the Aurisonic users and a pride in building the best product they can. Even I still like other (higher priced) IEMs over asg2, I have no doubt Aurisonic will continue to innovate and improve and have a place in top c/uiem manufacturers before it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back