[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #3,016 of 7,021
Quote:

mate, i tried 1Plus2 with silver cable before getting gold silver. all i can say is 1Plus2 is superior IEM, period.

as regrads fairness i believe what i did was the most fair comparison i could manage. i put gold silver cable on both IEMs (i have 1Plus2 with gold silver and Eke's pair came with extra gold silver from Tralucent), which means i gave ASG2 a very good chance vs. 1Plus2. believe me even silver Tralucent cable which is a part of standard package will excel over ASG2 stock cable.

believe me mate, i want to be fair to equipment i try because the end question for me is will i buy this or not. i cannot go on fooling myself. this is why i gave ASG2 all chances and happy to report ASG2 seduced me like no other IEM except for 1Plus2.

Thanks Gintaras for the feedback. I've been A/B listening to my ASG-2 for the last 1 hour with the stock ASG-2 cable vs stock Westone cable vs Null Audio's silver+1%gold AeodeAu UP-OCC-A cable. DAC is FiiO X3 player direct line out using OCC stranded-silver interconnect to HeadAmp Pico SLIM Amp. Music track tested on flac version of Jason Mraz's Sunshine Song performed live on Earth 2009 (@ 0:02:14): 

I just keep repeating the song again and again for 1 hour, swapping among all the 3 cables. I detected no sonic difference between ASG-2 stock and Westone stock cables. The Null Audio's UP-OCC-A silver/gold cable is supposedly much better (price-wise), so I was trying very hard to detect any sonic difference between that and the stock cable. Initially, I think I do hear a little difference, especially during those parts with the crowd cheering nonstop leading up to the beginning of the song. I think the crowd's cheering sounded overall a little stronger and my ears seem to pick out slightly better 3D effect and placement of the sources of the cheering. Then I swapped back and forth multiple times among the cables to make sure what I hear is consistently true and not just coincidence. The first few swaps I think I still hear a difference, but then after too many swaps I seem to lose that detection in their sonic differences. Either my ears got too tired of trying to adjust to the different cable swaps after like 30mins, or it is just a placebo effect of the cables. Anyway, I got tired of doing the tests and I think I will wait till I get my hands on the 1plus2 with gold cable before trying this out again.

Oh, and this plays out very nice on ASG-2 too. Just love it. (EDIT: I actually mean the flac version of it, not Youtube's version. Youtube's verison sounded like radio quality and hollow, but the actual flac version sounds really good on ASG-2.)

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,017 of 7,021
I think that brain-wise, it becomes less apparent. There are several different modifying effects that the brain works with. I'd guess that the brain gets better at quickly adapting to the sound and feeling less of a difference after several changes. The biggest difference will probably be the first time you switch after listening to the same for 30 minutes or so. I've read somewhere that doing quick A/B comparisons of 30 seconds or less will not be as beneficial as having longer periods of adapting to the sound. But then again, the it's the initial "shock" that stands for the difference. The brain is really superb at saying "here's how I like it, I'm going to try to make everything be like this". 

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #3,018 of 7,021
guys, one question: what are we trying to prove here?

a) cables do not matter at all?
b) i like my IEM better than yours?
c) all of the above?
tongue.gif

i can tell what i hear and can depict. why should i disagree with myself? if you believe cables make no difference you can always buy the cheapest wire and make cable yourself, will save you money.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,019 of 7,021
guys, one question: what are we trying to prove here?

a) cables do not matter at all?
b) i like my IEM better than yours?
c) all of the above?
tongue.gif

i can tell what i hear and can depict. why should i disagree with myself? if you believe cables make no difference you can always buy the cheapest wire and make cable yourself, will save you money.
rolleyes.gif

c). Do cables matter in general and to what extend, especially in the unique case of 1plus2 which is highly depending on its special cable? The sound of 1plus2 may not even be as good even if we replace its unique cable with the most expensive grade aftermarket cable out there. And before we all go out running and make our own cables using the cheapest copper wires and plugs, we need have an objective perception of the best vs the worst. In the case of 1plus2, it will be to isolate its performance and dependency from its cable given the pricey cost of the cable itself.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #3,020 of 7,021
c). Do cables matter in general and to what extend, especially in the unique case of 1plus2 which is highly depending on its special cable? The sound of 1plus2 may not even be as good even if we replace its unique cable with the most expensive grade aftermarket cable out there. And before we all go out running and make our own cables using the cheapest copper wires and plugs, we need have an objective perception of the best vs the worst. In the case of 1plus2, it will be to isolate its performance and dependency from its cable given the pricey cost of the cable itself.

Big disagreement here, i have both silver and gold silver for 1plus2, from my experience 1plus2 sounds godly with both of them. i have some junkie cables too and these can be tested, but i am sure 1plus2 is unique and it is all about IEM, cables are just a good compliment here, not anything else.

Also to suggest that sound is all about cables is hilarious, excuse me but if you are in high end you would understand me.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #3,021 of 7,021
Look, guys. No one is going to "prove" anything here. It's really an endless debate. 

All a few of us have done is post personal experiences, and it's counter-productive to argue with someone over what they've experienced. I know what I hear with the Tralucent cable, but there have been other cables I've tried that I could not hear differences with when others could.

The more technical aspects of the discussion really do belong in sound science.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #3,022 of 7,021
Eke, agree, btw it looks like your ASG2 is on long travel? you must be missing them a lot. you know H20 became unaccessible since he received ASG2, later he told me he wears them all the time even when bathing and sleeping :)

Seriously i am still trying to cope with the fact that i do not have them anymore, OMG best vocals i heard to date on them. I only can imagine how you wait for them back.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,024 of 7,021
Gintaras
Just dropping by to say thanks for your review using Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack.. I have ripped the cd into flac to listen using ASG-2.. But tonite i am gonna take a break from this pair and enjoy this album using HD650..
Thanks again

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #3,025 of 7,021
Quote:
Eke, agree, btw it looks like your ASG2 is on long travel? you must be missing them a lot. you know H20 became unaccessible since he received ASG2, later he told me he wears them all the time even when bathing and sleeping :)

Seriously i am still trying to cope with the fact that i do not have them anymore, OMG best vocals i heard to date on them. I only can imagine how you wait for them back.

I'm coping by using my Etymotic HF5 exclusively. It's a completely different type of sound, so I don't feel like I'm really missing anything. Plus it sounds very nice.

For instance, I had the UM3X for a while, and I really couldn't listen to them without my brain pointing out things that were missing.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3,026 of 7,021
Quote:
This is now post #3023 in this thread. Our friendliest, most cheerful, wisest of the wisest AND most popular head-fier, who goes by the name of music_4321, said on posts #2945 & #2954 the following:

Seems several people have a strong need to have the last word.

ah ah... NO !!! the last word is reserved exclusively for our friendliest, most cheerful, wisest of the wisest AND most popular head-fier, who goes by the name of music_4321 
darthsmile.gif

tongue.gif

Cosmic, you warmly welcome, thanks 
wink.gif

Eke, well i am glad you cope so well 
biggrin.gif

H20, mate, ASG2 is not only IEM but also a personal Fitness Trainer 
tongue.gif

and NOW, we put our cables aside (those who cannot must at least tangle them into a reduced shape) and we will experience something nicer than all this savvy tech convers:

love Michael Bolton, not mention Pavarotti, great performers, and my wife loves Bolton very much too :-D
here is Bolton concert on YT in HD:

and before we exhaust our cables i want you listen to this, devoted to ASG2:

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #3,027 of 7,021
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #3,028 of 7,021
Look, guys. No one is going to "prove" anything here. It's really an endless debate. 

All a few of us have done is post personal experiences, and it's counter-productive to argue with someone over what they've experienced. I know what I hear with the Tralucent cable, but there have been other cables I've tried that I could not hear differences with when others could.

The more technical aspects of the discussion really do belong in sound science.

I am not doubting the capability of the Tralucent cable to make a difference to 1plus2's sound quality since many people have already attested to it. I also do respect that everyone's ears hear things differently. However no matter how different everyone hears things, it is a general consensus among those who have heard it that the Tralucent's cable has certain mysterious effect to IEMs. I am not trying to turn this into a complete science debate, but my curiosity compels me to determine if 1plus2 is still the best sounding IEM without its unique cable. 1plus2 is claimed to be the best all-rounder of IEMs. Having just a unique signature after removing the cable isn't enough if it loses being the best all-rounder IEM, because then it is the cable that makes 1plus2 the best all-rounder and not the IEM itself.

Big disagreement here, i have both silver and gold silver for 1plus2, from my experience 1plus2 sounds godly with both of them. i have some junkie cables too and these can be tested, but i am sure 1plus2 is unique and it is all about IEM, cables are just a good compliment here, not anything else.

Also to suggest that sound is all about cables is hilarious, excuse me but if you are in high end you would understand me.

Again the same point here as above. I understand everyone else who has sampled 1plus2 with the Tralucent cables says it sounds godly with them. But what about 1plus2 without its unique cable? What it comes across to me is just that 1plus2 must have its cable to sound godly. No offense but isn't the bolded statements you made contradicting each other? Everyone has tried comparing 1plus2 with other IEMs with the Tralucent cable and say 1plus2 is godly above others, but none has tried comparing it without its cable. So aren't everyone just making a broad assumption without trying otherwise that 1plus2 is godly simply because it is using its "perfectly-paired" cable against other IEMs?

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3,029 of 7,021
Music, do i hear it right you are the next in line to torture ASG2? :wink:
If so wait for your impressions.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3,030 of 7,021
Quote:

I am not doubting the capability of the Tralucent cable to make a difference to 1plus2's sound quality since many people have already attested to it. I also do respect that everyone's ears hear things differently. However no matter how different everyone hears things, it is a general consensus among those who have heard it that the Tralucent's cable has certain mysterious effect to IEMs. I am not trying to turn this into a complete science debate, but my curiosity compels me to determine if 1plus2 is still the best sounding IEM without its unique cable. 1plus2 is claimed to be the best all-rounder of IEMs. Having just a unique signature after removing the cable isn't enough if it loses being the best all-rounder IEM, because then it is the cable that makes 1plus2 the best all-rounder and not the IEM itself.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't hear any repeatable changes when using the 1P2 with the ASG-2's stock cable. Idsync also said the same.

I trust we'll let the debates end for now.

idsync, you dirty mofo, when are you going to post impressions and comparisons?

Carlsan, the first post is patiently waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back