[Review] Audio Technica Ckr-9: Experiencing Sound Reality
Sep 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 163
  Very nice review! Makes me want to go out and audition a pair for myself.

Can you give a short comparison of CKR9 vs IM02? Is the CKR9 like a dynamic version of the IM02?

TIA!

Oh sure, sure!

The im-02s are less warm than the ckr9s, especially as it is a dual ba driver. However, it still has that nice sweet warmth that enhances the emotions of the singers.

Vocals are slightly dryer, portray more analytical detail, but retain a smooth quality that prevents sibilance from appearing. The highs are similar on both, with the im-02s having better detailing and forwardness to the treble (not that much forwardness, but you can hear the sparkles better). However, it does become borderline sibilant with the wrong tips and player. Sometimes even treble sounds metallic, only sometimes though.

The lows are awesome in quality, just like these ckr9s. However, it lacks the fullness, texture, and subbass rumble prowess of the ckr9s. The dynamic version also sounds more natural and organic than the im-02 ba drivers. While im-02 delivers better detailing, it is not that ahead of the ckr9s to be honest. Maybe half a notch of extra detailing.

Soundstage is similar on both, but the im-02s sound somewhat bigger. They do not have a 3d presentation.

Quote:
Fantastic review, very detailed and informative! And great pics too!

Thanks Tr1ppy!
Great work @vlenbo, makes me wanna try them
wink.gif

Thanks Peter. Looks like I fulfilled my duty. 
tongue.gif

Nice review, btw your book has some very dirty stuff in it lol, but seriously excellent job

I just noticed that I took a picture about Sigmund Freud's overall thesis of the id, ego, and superego. WHOOPS!
  EXCELLENT JOB vlenbo! Great review!  
beerchug.gif

Haha, thank you eric! I'm glad this review is not too shabby for headfiers.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 163
Excellent detailed review and fabulous pictures. Very tempted to pick up a pair of these to listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 163
yes it is an excellent review, but I don't want to say it vociferously, I don't know what it means though
basshead.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 163
Excellent detailed review and fabulous pictures. Very tempted to pick up a pair of these to listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I hope you at least audition them, lol.

Adjusting to the sound may take an hour or less. For me, it took 20 minutes and I immediately enjoyed them. 

I experienced no changes in the sound during burn-in times from 1-200 hours like Earfonia. Seems either my pair was already burned in, or I had a great fit. Well, the highs were the big difference I heard change in burn-in, ranging from soft treble to accurate, detailed, and somewhat sparkly treble.

Quote:
  yes it is an excellent review, but I don't want to say it vociferously, I don't know what it means though
basshead.gif

It means having a clamorous or raucous voice, usually referring it to a person's attitude and tone in speech. Basically what the ath-ckr9s sometimes, and I do mean sometimes and in certain recordings, possess.

Emotions poured out in the music are not as vociferous as the im02s, but the vocals can potentially have a similar presentation to the im-02s , but without the over-emphasis of detailing. 

I believe you used it correctly. You certainly would not want to preach about my review everywhere you go, lol.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 163
Awesome review vlenbo! Well done. Doesn't make me lust for the ckr9's any less though :)

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 163
Lol!

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 163
And here I thought you were messin with me! (ie your penchant for NOT reserving your SEXY gifs for ME lol!)

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 163
Awesome review vlenbo! Well done. Doesn't make me lust for the ckr9's any less though :)

Why thank you friend. I wish I could send this in-ear to you. You would know how great these in-ears sound due to your experience of the cks1000, WS99,  and mikros 90.

That's my reaction, how did you know....?

Just love messin with @vlenbo.......lol

If I had the gif to repay you, I would have used it long ago.

Lucky wokei..lol!
Me made a lot of frenz in me time in headfi ...me " easy peasy n eager to please " ..ie me nice guy ...hahaaaa

This is special ...for you only

Lucky wayne!

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #27 of 163
great review vlenbo!!! just had a question... my CKR9s seem to have burned in quite a bit now, so i was really curious about the JVC Spiral Dot tips....

do you have any small biflange tips that you can compare the sound vs Spiral dot tips?

I feel like im missing something here, like i'm not hearing the CKR9 to its full potential after burn-in (using small biflanges)

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 163
great review vlenbo!!! just had a question... my CKR9s seem to have burned in quite a bit now, so i was really curious about the JVC Spiral Dot tips....

do you have any small biflange tips that you can compare the sound vs Spiral dot tips?

I feel like im missing something here, like i'm not hearing the CKR9 to its full potential after burn-in (using small biflanges)

Unfortunately, i do not have the jvc spiral dot tips, but I do have double flange tips.

I will reply tomorrow about stock vs flange.

What is wrong with your pair in current burn in?

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 163
nothing wrong really, the treble crispness smoothened a bit, and details feel slightly pushed behind bass, im guessing its just the biflange tips im using.... i need to invest in some Spiral dots :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back