[Review] Audio Technica CK100 - TitaniYUM~!
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #154 of 166
bump... just want to know others opinion about ck100
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #155 of 166
CK100 - my best universal so far. And that is among SE530, TF10 Pro, Westone 3 and ER4P which I still have. I couldn't stop my curiosity and ordered the UE18 Pro and will get either JH13 Pro or JH16 Pro after review of the 16 Pro comes out. They'd better beat my CK100 or I will be quite pissed...

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #156 of 166
Sir, that is a nasty dent in your savings.

In terms of signature, you may not find such a unique on with customs which by and large grew up from the musician/performer background which Futuresonics and then later, Jerry Harvey fostered. So, they are probably bass heavy or "neutral" by and large. I would imagine that some mage stuff could be made with as rich/shiny mids/treble as the CK100. But build quality may never be rivalled in any earphone unless form AT.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #157 of 166
I do hope that ATH will start making customs. I like the ATH's clear mid and smooth trebles - quite don't understand why people say its mid is colored. If it is true then I must be liking its color a lot. It is also very different to the only other ATH I owned - the ATH EW9 back a few years ago. It was amazingly beautiful but the high was quite harsh for my liking. Not to mention that the ear-clip design never went popular and it would be weird to wear one out these days... CK100 on the other hand is very subtle (in terms of appearance) if pushed in far enough, and its sound is so different from EW9 - the high is smooth and doesn't sound harsh even for sopranos in operas. Bass is just right with the depth of ER4P with added quantity, but certainly not to a point that would take over the mids and highs. I really hope that the UE18 Pro could beat it - and if not, the JH13/16 Pro... But as the days draw near for my 18 Pro to arrive I am trying to suppress that hope a little so I won't get disappointed big time - given the US$1,350 plus international shipping I spent on those thingy... But at least I get them to print clearly on the outer face of the custom shell the "UE" logo and the words "18 Pro" below it. So much for artwork design. If I don't get good sound at least I get some respect lol (as if anyone looking at the words 'UE 18 Pro" would know what that is
k701smile.gif
)

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #158 of 166
Well, customs have a major advantage: perfect moulded fit for your ears: this advantage is huge because the earphones' vibrations are close, intimate and centrifugal; everything sounds better because of them. Other than that, it will be your own opinions which colour the comparison.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #159 of 166
My first post here, even though I have been reading head-fi on and off for a while now :wink:

I am wondering if CK100 can be recabled? I love mine CK100 but the cable is very fragile and already starting to split apart near the right bud.

Also I have been noticing a bit of discussion lately around Unique Melody's custom services. Wondering if its a good idea to get them to put my CK100 into a custom mould.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #161 of 166
Shigzeo, these are my first IEM that do not have replaceable cables... it must have happened when I fell asleep wearing them
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #162 of 166
How bad is the fray? can you take pics? Did it split on the cable seam or at the cable/housing juncture? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that they are somewhat comfortable for sleeping in... arg. I have fallen asleep with them in my ears but have never purposely fallen asleep with any iem - it eventually hurts or breaks something.

As for replaceable cables: there isn't a perfect world for anyone out there. I see so many UE phones come every day to one of the offices I go to. It is always a broken cable or cable shunt.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #163 of 166
Shigzeo, its at the cable/housing joint, where the soft cable meets the hard plastic part of the shell. I'll take a couple of pics when I get home tonight.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #165 of 166

Quote:
Cheesy title and naturally occurring spelling mistakes aside, this earphone is THE ONE. While I prefer to use customs, the CK100 does everything as closely as I can imagine to customs. What I mean is that it is: comfortable, strong, well-built, has a !snap! cable, is light, and sounds good. In fact, other than the sound (which good customs never do worse than universals), the CK100 is better in every way to every custom on the planet (likely). It simply is the most amazingly built earphone I have ever seen.Combine that with great fit and comfort, and I have to say that It is a favourite. I put it above Westone UM3X and EarSonics SM2, both of which are amazing earphones. The sound is perhaps too tailored for some listeners, but I am totally sold. The bass is light by about 2 decibels and mids quite flat. But where this earphone tears from conformity is its elevated high mid/lower treble. At first, it was hard to understand. After a little time, however, I realised how good it is. All my music gains a 'live' feel, or in a less effective adjective: 'warbly'. Shimmer, sheen, shine. Speed, decay, attack: all very good. But, this earphone is probably best for real instruments and with vocals.Audio Technica's choice to have 2 tweeter/mids versus bass modules made me laugh at first, but after a few weeks, I 'get' it. Here is the FULL REVIEW with pictures of the Audio Technica CK100.

Shizgeo how does it compare with your e-q7's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back