Review: Audio Technica ATH-CM7 Aluminum Sticks (earbuds)
Oct 3, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I find it very interesting, not too sharp, not too long, and definitely deserving its place in the stickied "full reviews" sector of the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. How does this happen, btw? Do you ask a mod to make it a sticky or do they just do it on threads they find worthy of it?

Oct 3, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #32 of 58
How is the output? I see they are 100 dB/1 mW, which seems a bit weak.

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
Thanks. How does this happen, btw? Do you ask a mod to make it a sticky or do they just do it on threads they find worthy of it?

Both, kind of. Mods will make "worthy" threads sticky but they can't always read every thread. Sometimes you have to bring it their attention.

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #35 of 58
Superbaldguy, I haven't had any problems with output. I do a lot of listening to them from a Zen Xtra and rarely put the volume over half way up.

Oct 4, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibi123
@thtl

Do you use your EC7's with or without foamies? I use mine without.

I always use foamies - hygiene and all that. Seriously, I use them outdoors mostly so the their performances with and without foamies are not all that apparent. For indoors listening I use EW9's.

Oct 4, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #37 of 58
Hey Max,

I was wondering how these would work with a typical Sony 5 mW headphone amp on their MD units, as I have six MD portables........

Oct 5, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #38 of 58
In the Xtra's specs it says the output is 100 mW, so I can't really tell you how it'd sound with 5 mW. I can tell you that they compare favorably to the Senn MX500's, if that helps. I get a good bit more volume from the CM7's at any given setting.

Oct 5, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #39 of 58
SBG, the CM7 work very well with Sony portables. I have used them the E720 and the NE900 PCDP. Volume is about 50% of the way up on both.

Oct 11, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #40 of 58
I haven't posted in a while, but I have heard both of these models and, with all due respect to the reviewer, think they're getting far more praise than they deserve
wink.gif

Quote:

Krishna, it's the CM5's that are about 50 bucks. the CM7ti's (ti for titanium) are actually $30 more than the aluminum ones I bought. From what I understand, the CM5's are pretty hard to beat in an earbud in the $50 price range, too.

I'm personally not a fan of either the CM5 or the CM7ti -- I think the Senn MX 500 and Sony E888 are both as good, depending on your personal preferences in terms of tonal balance. The thing about the CMs is that -- like every AT bud/clip I've heard -- they have lots of treble and poor bass. If you're a major detail fan, you may like them better than the Senns and Sonys. But if you want some heft at the bottom end, you'll likely be disappointed, no matter how much you burn them in. (As for the CM5 vs. CM7ti, unless you *really* like the colors of the latter, save yourself some big bucks and go with the CM5... IMO, of course.)

Quote:

And in your opinion, how do each of those AT's compare to the Shure E3's?

There's simply no comparison, IMO. Neither comes even remotely close to the sound quality of the Shure E3. The E3 have better bass, better mids, better highs, better everything. I can't think of a single way in which the ATs compete with the E3 unless you really hate the comfort (or lack thereof) of canalphones or if you don't like canalphone isolation.

The coolest thing about the AT models -- and they are cool in this way -- is their looks. AT makes some of the most attractive earbuds and earclips on the market. Unfortunately, their audio quality isn't in the same league as their looks.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #41 of 58
I can't really say anything authoritative about the CM5's or the E888's as I've heard neither, but, while I respect your opinion and realize that sound is a highly personal experience (perhaps even more than usual for earbuds due to fit issues), I stick by my assertion that the CM7's are far superior to the Senn MX500's. I get slightly better extension in the bass range and much better extension in the highs, better scaling to volume and by far the best clarity I've heard in a 'phone of the earbud form factor. I do keep hearing good things about the E888's, so that's still an open question in my mind - maybe I'll end up trying them out, but I really have a hard time imagining I'll find something that's much of an improvement (if any) over these without going to a different form factor. It doesn't surprise me, though, that the E3's would be found to have superior sound. Speaking purely of sound quality, the earbud seems to me to be the least promising form factor out there. Sometimes it's just what you need, though, so I still think these are worth the price they command.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 58
Actually, I may have to disagree with Max on this one. I have not heard of the E888 yet, and my experience with the MX500 (Sharp version) has been horrible, they may have more upper end detail than the CM7. Its just that Sony emphasizes tonal qualities (is that the right word?) than the Audio Technicas. I was blown away with when I could pick out things that I could not pick out with either my A900 or my CM7 that I could clearly hear with my A34. Not to say that the A34 sounds better because it doesn't, just that it sounds more detailed in the upper end, to the point that it sounds harsh. I am sure that the E888 is even more detailed, with a overall better sound presentation than the A34.

The reason I got the CM7 is because I love the overall sound of Audio Technica products. At this point, I think it is becoming a matter of personal preferences.

BTW, has know of any mods for the CM7? I read somewhere long time ago about cutting a hole in the middle of the foam covers, so you get the seal of using the foamys but the clear sound of the naked buds.

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #43 of 58
Wow, it just goes to show you how different something can sound in a different set of ears I guess. If I'm reading that right and you're saying you find the MX500's to be have more detail anywhere in the spectrum (though maybe you're making a guess about the E888's instead) than the CM7's that almost makes me wonder if there's any point in doing earbud reviews because to me the relationship between them is something like this. When listening to the CM7's music sounds like it's, say, encoded at 256kbps or 320kbps while the Senns are being fed only 128kbps or 160kbps.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #44 of 58
Max, actually, no, I was just refering to the highs. I just feel that I can pick out certain aspects of the music out better with Sony buds. Of course, with the Sony that I was using (A34) it was detailed to the point that if sounded harsh. I just think that Sonys in general sound more detailed at the top end, but through out the range, they sound harsher. When testing out the A34, I was able to clearly pick out the guitar cord sliding noises (am I describing it correctly?) but when I listened to it through both my A900 and my CM7 I did not notice it. I guess the AT are more balanced? or they emphasize the mid range more? Considering that the E888 are called anayltical, I am guessing that they emphasize that portion of the spectrum even more than the CM7.

Oct 13, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 58
Well now that my registration has gone through, time to throw my own opinions/findings into the mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
How is the output? I see they are 100 dB/1 mW, which seems a bit weak.

As Max Minimum stated they are more efficient than the MX *00 series by a fair margin. I've also found them slightly more efficient than the E888's to give another reference point. Thus I find that they are plenty loud enough out of my Sony MZ-R70 MD player (sorry, not sure what mW rating it has off the top of my head). Needless to say, a more powerful device like the iRiver iHP-120 will drive them to deafening (quite literally) levels with ease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDEF
I'm personally not a fan of either the CM5 or the CM7ti -- I think the Senn MX 500 and Sony E888 are both as good, depending on your personal preferences in terms of tonal balance.

Disregarding the CM5 as I have not heard it, I would have to disagree with this statement. I find that both the E888 and the CM7ti are head and shoulders above the MX 500 in terms of sound quality. The MX series is a great bang for the buck lineup, but they simply cannot compete with either the E888 or CM7ti IMO. The MX 500 comes across muddier, and with less frequency extension on either end of the spectrum. Between the CM7ti and the E888 on the other hand I will concede that its more a matter of personal preferences than it is of technical merits. That said I very much prefer the CM7ti over the E888. There is a touch more bass to the CM7s, and the midrange is that much sweeter than the E888s to my ears. The high's have equal footing, but the E888s seemingly emphasize that area more than the CM7s and have found them to be sibilant from time to time because of that. Overall I just find the CM7s to be much more enjoyable to listen to compared to the drier, analytic E888s.

Quote:

I do keep hearing good things about the E888's, so that's still an open question in my mind - maybe I'll end up trying them out, but I really have a hard time imagining I'll find something that's much of an improvement (if any) over these without going to a different form factor.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the E888s unless you are dissatisfied with the sound characteristics of the CM7s. (which you appear to be anything but) The E888s are simply a side step from the CM7s at best, and a step that leaves you with a much more analytical 'phone at that. That was the major reason I bought the CM7s in the first place... I simply wasn't enjoying my music as much out of the E888s. I couldn't step back down to the lower quality of the MX 500s, but just the same found myself wanting something where I could enjoy the music instead of picking it apart. The CM7s hit that mark dead on.

Do note that these comments were made based on listening without foamies. I've never found fomies comfortable for some strange reason. Just the same I don't believe foamies change the nature of the beast enough, from what I have tried of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back