Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp
May 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 86
I might spring for DAC only at <100USD... Not likely to happen though, adding the amp should cost next to nothing (although in fairness, some of the Alps pots are quite pricey). OTOH, maybe the DAC only system would be even better (or come with a better PSU instead)

May 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another great review project. thank you , have you compared this to either the prodigy cube or maybe say the carat topaz or a d 10? via usb ?

best regards

Thanks, I don't have experience with those but check out Headfonia, I think they did a comparison review there with at least a few of those you mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review - if I did not already have the NG98 (or desperately wanted 96/24 USB) I would probably get this. Maybe once they deliver the DAC only thing, I don't need another DAC/Amp after I get the M-Stage..

Edit: Feels like I would be copying your setup - already got the M-Stage after your review
smily_headphones1.gif

How is that NG98? Looks interesting. Also, don't look now but I've got a few other items in common with you too.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dac only with lower price and m-stage could be wonderful.

I agree. I actually contacted the company about their other 3 offerings that are "coming soon" per their website. The basically said that the stuff is still in design phase and is not quite ready to be released. They didn't have any details at this time about configuration or pricing.

As solid as the built in amp on the mx1 is, I agree that it would be nice to relase the DAC only portion without that, for those people who will be using a higher end amp anyway. They could price it lower without the amp section, or keep it similar priced but add more features like perhaps have a coaxial and toslink input (assuming that could be designed in without compromising the quality of the sound).

May 3, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #18 of 86
The NG98 is the only DAC I have, it sounds good enough but the pot is of soso quality, so with any of my phones, I have to lower volume in software to actually get it to play at a decent level without channel imbalance
frown.gif

May 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 86
I am in the market for a new DAC and am looking closely at the MX1. I've read from several sources that its defining sonic quality is its neutrality, and I'm not sure how well that would go with my system. I would be using it mostly as a source into a Pioneer SA-6800 (late 70s solid-state) driving Smaller Advents. Can I get some opinions from the audience?

Thanks!

May 22, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 86
Hello.
I've just bought a HUD DAC, sounds nice in stereo. But I'm trying to get a pass-through AC3/DTS via optical in Windows 7 x64 Professional. After self installation, in the window with three options DD/DTS/WMA no sound while test. And in KMPlayer, in a 5.1 movies the amplifier gets only 2 channel sound. What else should I set in Windows to get full pass-through. Should I install AC3Filter, but will it work in Windows 7? Maybe pass-through works ONLY in Widows Vista. But it should be also compatible with Windows 7 since it works in Vista.

May 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 86

Quote:
Hello.
I've just bought a HUD DAC, sounds nice in stereo. But I'm trying to get a pass-through AC3/DTS via optical in Windows 7 x64 Professional. After self installation, in the window with three options DD/DTS/WMA no sound while test. And in KMPlayer, in a 5.1 movies the amplifier gets only 2 channel sound. What else should I set in Windows to get full pass-through. Should I install AC3Filter, but will it work in Windows 7? Maybe pass-through works ONLY in Widows Vista. But it should be also compatible with Windows 7 since it works in Vista.

I'm not sure, sorry. I only briefly tested Windows 7 to make sure the device showed up. I personally still use Vista and did not have to do any extra work to get passthrough going. I can't imagine it ONLY working in Vista but I suppose that is possible. Perhaps someone in the thread I linked to (by Audiofil I think) might have an idea?

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 86
Jul 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 86
If I run Audinst for DAC alone, then pair it with cheap portable amp (say it about 100 bucks) just to give it coloration, what you think? is that can make degradation SQ (compare to straight use Audinst amp section)

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 86

Quote:
If I run Audinst for DAC alone, then pair it with cheap portable amp (say it about 100 bucks) just to give it coloration, what you think? is that can make degradation SQ (compare to straight use Audinst amp section)

Good question. Sometimes I pair my Audinst with my Vivid Technologies V1, which is a $100 portable amp and is colored to be aggressive and forward. Sometimes I like this combo better than just using the USB DAC section of the V1 alone. It obviously gives it a different flavor than the build in amp of the Audinst, but I don't think it is degraded as you said. Just different. Depending on what headphones you are using, or what music you are listening to, or even just your mood, you sometimes want a bit of coloration. The built in Audinst amp is a bit laid back, so the aggressive V1 is sometimes a nice change.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 86

Quote:
Any idea if it can be modded to have analog input?

It might be possible but I have no idea where to start, and frankly I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. The amp section is good but is not really the main draw here. For the time and resources involved in figuring out how to tap into the amp section, you might be better off building an amp yourself, or just buying one.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 86
Any idea how this would mate as a DAC to my EF2? Would it render the EF2 unecessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back