Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Feb 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #408 of 418
  I also observe this for a couple of seconds if I connect the device to power with my headphones on, I'm not sure if this is a big problem though.

It seems to work fine right after, so I guess it isn't an issue with just mine. Thanks for responding =)

I like to think that "Digital" sound is the Audinst DAC warming up =p

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #410 of 418
@kaixax555

In my opinion it's definitely acceptable, It may not be the best solution but from my experience it not that bad either.

I compared the Concero + Matrix M-Stage against the mx1 only usb powered and it was not terrible at all, so yeah i say for a certain amount of time it won't hurt, thinking in long terms a dedicated Amp may be more convincing.

i want to add i have altered the jumpers in the Audinst so it's more suitable for hard to drive phones.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #411 of 418
Many many thnx to OP for this thread.
Installed the ADbrz 797 and wow just wow.. spectacular bottom end is now present compared to original lme op amp.
And better instrument separation in mid-range and top end is nice and warm without being bright. The original lme has a tendency to lack oomph or bottom end punch probably in the upper mid bass it lacks some.

Very analog sounding beautiful stuff I have reached my headphone dac/amp nirvana.

EDIT: have had more time to burn it in and this ad797brz brings the soundstage closer compared to original. Have now gone back to original and notice a more larger(wider) expansive soundstage.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #412 of 418
sorry to bump this up (3 years later) but is anyone still using this setup?

(1) any recommendations on a wall adapter (UK plug)?
(2) should I be setting the device to 16bit or 24bit under W10 sound control?
(3) what's a good upgrade path (was thinking of the Massdrop CTH Amp or the Schiit Jotunheim)

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #413 of 418
@wilflare

yes, still using the amp. any decent electronics shop in your area should have options. as long as its the same voltage and same or higher current you're generally ok.

have the device set on 24bit. it'll work on 16 as well if that's what you're asking

won't comment on upgrade paths. others might have opinions to share.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #414 of 418
@wilflare

yes, still using the amp. any decent electronics shop in your area should have options. as long as its the same voltage and same or higher current you're generally ok.

have the device set on 24bit. it'll work on 16 as well if that's what you're asking

won't comment on upgrade paths. others might have opinions to share.

thanks! guess I'll pay Challenger a visit or something.
(are you nst from vRz? think I got my set from you!)

I suppose I should set it to 24bit 44.1 right? or 96?

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #415 of 418
lol nice to see that someone other than myself is still using it.

don't bother with challenger. there's a decent store on level 2 of SLS. 02-40/41. Just get it from there. I can't remember specs offhand so you'll have to look at the adaptor you have.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #416 of 418
lol nice to see that someone other than myself is still using it.

don't bother with challenger. there's a decent store on level 2 of SLS. 02-40/41. Just get it from there. I can't remember specs offhand so you'll have to look at the adaptor you have.

was really quite sad to see all the buzz on vRz die out :/
are you using the mx1 or the mx2 (been trying to find it as well).

I never got around to use the packaged adaptor (there was a sound when I shook it... so I was like nope!)

the Schiit Jotenhiem is on my list but I'm still waiting and reading. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back