Review: ATH-M50 vs. HFI-580 (vs. SR-80)
Jan 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #46 of 151
You sure like to spam those links in every thread M50 pops up. :p As much as you love the M50 they aren't great for every1, I sold mine after a week.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #47 of 151
"I think that for the majority of people, they’ll be very happy with the M-50, with the exception of Hard Rock and Electronica listeners."

kinda kills the M50 for me haha.. wish that review page had done the DJ1 instead of the DJ1 Pro.. heard much better things about the non-Pro model

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #48 of 151
This review was great, I have been recomended both of these for my budget and listening preference and i was trying to find which one should fit me best. From this review it really seems that hfi-580 is the better choice for me. I love bass but i rather have a balance then the bass being to powerfull. Great review and this helped me choose a lot:)

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 151

Quote:
This review was great, I have been recomended both of these for my budget and listening preference and i was trying to find which one should fit me best. From this review it really seems that hfi-580 is the better choice for me. I love bass but i rather have a balance then the bass being to powerfull. Great review and this helped me choose a lot:)

Glad that it helped. I amassed a couple more headphones since I wrote this review (DT770 PRO 80 and PRO 900)
wink.gif
and I will write something up this weekend for another comparison.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 151
Having both pairs at home right now, I pretty much echo the review. The M50s sound similar in signature to the HFI 580, but with boomy and muddy bass. The HFI 580 have the most impactful bass I've ever heard out of a set of headphones. Even though the M50s have more bass...it feels very one note in comparison, and loses a lot of the impact.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #51 of 151
Good to know that my ears are still good
biggrin.gif
Wait till you hear PRO 900 though
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #53 of 151
I am sure you will enjoy them both if you haven't had a chance to listen to mid-high end headphones.
However, I am not sure why M50 gets such a huge publicity compared to 580 when 580 is neck and neck, or better than M50.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #55 of 151

Are the M50's that much more comfortable than the 580's?

They both use pleather but the contact patch (area where your skin meets the pads) is flatter on m50 and disperse the pressure over wider area. This in addition to less clamping force make m50 more comfortable. They both are fairly new so 580 could wear down to become like m50 but if i were to keep 580 I would get the dt250 pads. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 151
Have you tried the different pads? Because it might/probably will cause serious sound problems.
My experience with the Ultrasone Pro models you can't change the pads only use the pads they come with or replacement versions of that model.
Even the Edition 10 had a pad defect which hindered it.
So it only leaves me to conclude you can't use any other pads than what it's suppose to use with Ultrasones.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #57 of 151
I'm lost, do the M50s have bass comparable to the 580? I know they probably can't touch the XB500, but if they do have a fair amount of booming bass, I wouldn't mind trying them out.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #58 of 151

Quote:
Have you tried the different pads? Because it might/probably will cause serious sound problems.
My experience with the Ultrasone Pro models you can't change the pads only use the pads they come with or replacement versions of that model.
Even the Edition 10 had a pad defect which hindered it.
So it only leaves me to conclude you can't use any other pads than what it's suppose to use with Ultrasones.

I've heard that theory also but since I haven't tried different pads on 580 I can't answer that question. I don't think I will be keeping 580 over PRO 900 so it's unlikely that I will get a chance to test different pads.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #59 of 151

Quote:
I'm lost, do the M50s have bass comparable to the 580? I know they probably can't touch the XB500, but if they do have a fair amount of booming bass, I wouldn't mind trying them out.

Yes, they are comparable. M50 has slightly more bass in fact but a bit loose in impact as well.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #60 of 151
That's funny because the M50 I tried (but I suspect there were something fishy about it) I concidered almost like a perfectly balanced can without any bass emphasize. The left driver crackled horribly with bass when used with an audigy 1 soundcard so I thought it was damaged tho while it didn't out of an Audigy 2 ZS (how's this even possible) and I had bought it 2nd hand so I have my suspects about fakes for example and that's why he'd wanna get rid of it...

I also tried boosting the bass with the EQ by a lot and despite I did it never got satisfying, always remained very lean bass with no punch or any noticable deep bass rumble. Would be nice to sometimes be able to try another M50 just to see if the set I tried was something wrong with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back