Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
May 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #256 of 951

Quote:
I've heard someone say it was a great match an that the power wasen't any problem.
Was it the volume that didnt go far enough?

it sure was, and obviously that was just my opinion, if you heard from someone else you trust more that its fine, who am i to argue 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i have noticed i like to listen louder than most...must be the metal

May 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #257 of 951

Quote:
Yes that should work fine. Make sure either your cable or the adaptor has the rated 75ohm impedance. I'm sure you already knew that but I almost plugged a standard RCA into a coax input once. I'm not sure what would happen if anything but I don't want to find out the hard way if it damages something.

On a different note I got my shipping confirmation on the D1 today so I'll be anxious to compare it to the Grace m902. I know the Dac is better but I'm curious about how the headphone amps match up.

An RCA cable will work fine and won't hurt the system. I used to do that all the time. I then tried a good 75 ohm cable and appreciated the greater finesse it produced. Never looked back since.

PA

May 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #258 of 951
Thanks for clarifying Ph1ler.

One question, I see some of you own or have owned the Burson amps in the past.  How does the headphone out of the discrete amps in the Burson sound vs. the 1611's(?) in the D1?  I realize this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison due to all the other things going on in these two amps, but I am kinda curious.  I should be getting my D1 tomorrow so I guess i'll probably be doing a lot of listening tomorrow.

May 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #259 of 951

Quote:
The Anedio is on my short list of DAC/AMP upgrade when I start working again in two months.  

From what I read it should do just fine with the Grado (I use the RS-1is).  I do like the fact that the unit has plenty of inputs for me to use, that's always useful.

But I don't like the fact that the USB is limited to 16/48, so I need to get an USB device in the future.  I'll wait to see what Anedio will come up with but if they are starting to use custom drivers that only work on Windows then I might go with the AGD DI. 

In the future I will go with linux as my main OS so I'm looking for something that will work on linux (any Tenor USB like the DI will work on linux).  I don't need 88 support but I need 24/96.  

But I do have one question:  Does the volume control only affects headphone volume or it also effects the outputs?  

Sorry if I didn't read the thread carefully enough but I do many recordings from DACs to Cassette.  

It works very nicely with the RS-1i (I just received the DAC last week).  Although I don't currently have a Linux box hooked up to it, I can't imagine there would be any issues.

The volume control affects both the headphone and line out.  Further the line out is not suppressed if a headphone is in the jack.

It's a wonderful piece of equipment, just very muscular.

- Ed

May 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #260 of 951

Quote:
The volume control affects both the headphone and line out.  Further the line out is not suppressed if a headphone is in the jack.  

- Ed

That's possibly something they could have spent a little more time on, a simple button to select which output to use would be nice. I alternate between speakers and headphones but I don't like having to unlplugg my headphones all the time, feels like a lot of unnecessary wear and tear.

I guess they didn't have time for stuff like that, this was their first unit so they were probably up to their necks thinking about other things and actually making it sound good in the first place....

May 5, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #261 of 951
Guess this last info rules this DAC out of my upgrade list then. I spend half the time listening to my speakers... it's enough hassle to reach for the Stax energizer as is right now when I want to "switch" :)

May 5, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #262 of 951

Quote:
Guess this last info rules this DAC out of my upgrade list then. I spend half the time listening to my speakers... it's enough hassle to reach for the Stax energizer as is right now when I want to "switch" :)

Well... I personally think that audio quality should go before convenience, so if the Anedio really does sound better than the competition it would be a shame to rule it out because of something minor like this.

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #263 of 951
I'd have to actually listen to one to "know" that it really does sound better... and by how much more to my ears... and with quite some hassle and added expenses with shipping and, eventually, returning it both ways across the Atlantic.

The convenience is objective data :)

May 5, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #264 of 951

Quote:
I'd have to actually listen to one to "know" that it really does sound better... and by how much more to my ears... and with quite some hassle and added expenses with shipping and, eventually, returning it both ways across the Atlantic.

True enough, well I live in Europe as well and my D1 should arrive within the week or so. I'll be sure to post my findings once the unit has been burned in and I feel confident about it.

It's a bit of gamble for me as well but I've wanted a Sabre DAC for quite some time and was set to pull the trigger on a Wyred but then some ears I trust voiced concern that it sounded detailed but harsh and that they didn't like it. So when I heard that the Anedio is suppose to be detailed but musical it sounded like my kind of DAC, plus it has a headphone out! Gotta take chance every now and then to keep life interesting....

May 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #265 of 951
That's great Twoears! I hope it turns out exactly as you expected or better. I'll be on the lookout for your feedback also. There seems to bo such great praise for anything DAC these days in every price point that I find almost impossible to relate to anything.

My oldie Audiolab, although revised recently with a new logic board still sounds quite good but there seems to be quite better stuff around within the 1000€ budget. I only wish I didn't have to pay so much more for the import here to broaden my scope :s

Can you share your current DAC as a means to assess where you're coming from and where you'd like to go?

May 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #266 of 951

Quote:
Can you share your current DAC as a means to assess where you're coming from and where you'd like to go?

I've had a few DACs but not too many; swedish company Harmony Design makes the DA9 DAC which is good, but not spectacular. Then the Icon HDP which was quite a dissapointment, it may be good for a $400 do it all thingy if you're used to listening to your motherboard.... but I know better than that... Then a number of high end sound cards which actually sound better than you think, the biggest thing holding them down is probably electronic interference and cheap op-amps and capacitors.... there's a reason modding the asus essence is so popular, for the money it's prettty much unbeatable.

One of the flat out best DACs I've heard is the Norweigian Hegel HD10, it's pretty popular here in scandinavia. Very "easy flowing but yet dynamic and neutral with silent background" is how I'd describe that one, it's a real gem and a bit of a bargain too. Apperently their secret is a pantented method of filtering noise between the internal steps in the DAC, it seems to be working I have to say.

But as you can see the Anedio will be my first own real "high-end" DAC if you can call it that, I'm hoping to be blown away of course.... What really swayed me towards the Anedio was the Sabre chip, which I believe to be very well engineered, but also the the capability for a good headphone out directly from the DAC. I'm a bit of a minimalist in my approach to audio, for me there's no component in the signal path that can improve the sound if it doesn't need to be there. So to have a good headphone amp on the same circuit board as the Sabre DAC looks like a very interesting combination.

Basically - if the D1 delievers detail, bass texture and neutrality without sounding forced, analytical or harsh I think I have a winner and expect to keep it for many years to come.

May 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #267 of 951
Well I just got my D1 today, and HOLY CRAP this thing is so crystal clear it's ridiculous.  At first it sounded like I had lost a lot of bass punch, but then I realized that it was just better separation of the bass from the mids and highs giving an illusion of less bass.  All the audio is completely pure out of a totally empty background.  The DAC in the D1 is just incredible.  The headphone amp, I'll have to do a lot more listening to before I make any judgments on, on first impression, though I'd say that the headphone amp is very close in sound quality to my m902, but the DAC is so much better that it sounds like it's in a completely different class.  The highest impedance phones I have are my HD650's and at 300 ohms it seems to drive them quite well.  I will say this though, the Grado's really sound great with this Amp/DAC and is slowly tempting me to sell the HD650's and get some RS1's.

May 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #268 of 951

Quote:

Not really.  I don't see it as an issue at all - turn the amp on or off; plug in the headphones or not.  So, it must be subjective.  :wink:

- Ed

May 6, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #269 of 951

Quote:
Well I just got my D1 today, and HOLY CRAP this thing is so crystal clear it's ridiculous.  At first it sounded like I had lost a lot of bass punch, but then I realized that it was just better separation of the bass from the mids and highs giving an illusion of less bass.  All the audio is completely pure out of a totally empty background.  The DAC in the D1 is just incredible.  The headphone amp, I'll have to do a lot more listening to before I make any judgments on, on first impression, though I'd say that the headphone amp is very close in sound quality to my m902, but the DAC is so much better that it sounds like it's in a completely different class.  The highest impedance phones I have are my HD650's and at 300 ohms it seems to drive them quite well.  I will say this though, the Grado's really sound great with this Amp/DAC and is slowly tempting me to sell the HD650's and get some RS1's.

You are right about the Grado's sounding wonderful with the D1, but then again so do the 650's. Choices, choices..Mmmm
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #270 of 951
yeah the first thing you notice with D1 is the exceptional clean sound !!

I have not been getting much time with D1 , but it sure is an excellent DAC and great Amp ( for low impedance Hps and IEMs .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back