Review and Impressions Thread : Audez'e LCD-2
Jul 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #106 of 127

Quote:

It makes room for guys like me to start a side business selling LCD-2 cables for a reasonable price :D .... I am tempted to do it.  I hate those companies that charge waaay too much for cables.  Still waiting for my LCD-2's of course to test the plethora of cables I made for them, I want to find something that is cheaper and "sounds" the same as the popular Jena Labs stuff and others... etc.  There are plenty of sources to get nice cable for good prices in bulk.  

LCD2's smallish stage basically excluded the simple twisted-pair geometry, and no HGA silver (HGA has very good focus, but doesn't expend the stage) either. Can't be cheap.

I would expect $350~ $400 parts cost for a 6'.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #107 of 127
Not that expensive... like 8 bucks per switchcraft 4 pin mini xlr, 25 ft of jena cable is 125$ (just enough for a 6' cable),  shielding (not really necessary for balanced?)/wrap/heatshrink/ties/solder do not cost near 200$ for what you need for a 6' cable.  Maybe if you add in the cost of the world's fanciest soldering gun or if you demand overnight shipping on every item from separate sources, it might cost 350-400$ for a 6' cable.

Am I crazy?

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #108 of 127

Quote:
Not that expensive... like 8 bucks per switchcraft 4 pin mini xlr, 25 ft of jena cable is 125$ (just enough for a 6' cable),  shielding (not really necessary for balanced?)/wrap/heatshrink/ties/solder do not cost near 200$ for what you need for a 6' cable.  Maybe if you add in the cost of the world's fanciest soldering gun or if you demand overnight shipping on every item from separate sources, it might cost 350-400$ for a 6' cable.

Am I crazy?

You are not crazy sir. But also seem unable to detect differences in cable geometry given your statement, so you are completely unreliable.

What I honestly think the LCD-2 really need though is purified audiophile air so that the sound waves can travel from the drivers to our ears better, quicker, and with less distortion. PRaT is increased like you wouldnt believe. Air is also highly transparent so for those who like a balanced signature this is key. I think it would sound much better than any of the cable geometries mentioned, and if you think about it, 500$ for a compressed air tank, plus some audiophile air (only the best air from the tip of Mount Everest, hand picked by Yeti of course) would probably only run you a few thousand dollars, and offer hundreds of hours of use.

One thing I suggest also is to sit on your cables, so you can squish the distortion out of them as they are on their way to your headphones.

If only we still had patrick82 to help us with further techniques, like burying equipment underground for a blacker noise floor.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #109 of 127

Quote:
What I honestly think the LCD-2 really need though is purified audiophile air so that the sound waves can travel from the drivers to our ears better, quicker, and with less distortion. PRaT is increased like you wouldnt believe. Air is also highly transparent so for those who like a balanced signature this is key. I think it would sound much better than any of the cable geometries mentioned, and if you think about it, 500$ for a compressed air tank, plus some audiophile air (only the best air from the tip of Mount Everest, hand picked by Yeti of course) would probably only run you a few thousand dollars, and offer hundreds of hours of use.

One thing I suggest also is to sit on your cables, so you can squish the distortion out of them as they are on their way to your headphones.

sounds like some fine fine fine 1st hand experience.

(now where is that smily when I need it? come on, somebody add it into the library, please)

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #110 of 127

25' wire for 6' cable = twisted pair geometry.

Solid core silver Jena wire?

Quote:

Am I crazy?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #111 of 127

Quote:

On the other hand, I didn't particularly have a good time with the P1U at the meet.  I was mostly auditioning equipment with a song called "Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" by supercell, which has a really loud piano run from very high to low right after a lot of drums.  I was A/B'ing the T1 and the LCD-2 on that passage, and there was a harsh brightness to the LCD-2 that I don't normally hear.  The T1, on the other hand, went so bright that I almost pulled the phones off my head.  Not saying the amp is bad, but it really didn't like that particular piece.....

My bad on that one. I should brought my WA22 alone with me. Yes, P-1u is bright compare to most tube amp. I did notice LCD-2 smallish soundstage, but it did not bother me too much. The vocal with LCD-2 has little glare to it, especially with female. But again recable may fix those problems. What do you think about UPCCP copper? Overall I am very impressed with LCD-2, enough to sell my T1 maybe......
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #112 of 127

Quote:
My bad on that one. I should brought my WA22 alone with me. Yes, P-1u is bright compare to most tube amp. I did notice LCD-2 smallish soundstage, but it did not bother me too much. The vocal with LCD-2 has little glare to it, especially with female. But again recable may fix those problems. What do you think about UPCCP copper? Overall I am very impressed with LCD-2, enough to sell my T1 maybe......
confused.gif

Start with a proper amp first, then address other issues.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #115 of 127

Quote:

confused.gif

No bad and no worries.  I'm glad you brought it so I got a chance to listen to it, regardless of if I liked it with the LCD-2.  Always nice to listen to other stuff out there.  I can relate to the smallish soundstage, but I've actually not had a problem with vocals and the LCD-2.  At the risk of putting words in kwkarth's mouth, I think it's not so much that the P-1u isn't a "proper" amp, it's just that it's not at its best with the LCD-2 as far as synergy.  Take it with a grain of salt (or a whole salt-lick) since a lot of it is subjective opinion.  To put things a little into perspective, I'm not a particular fan of Grados or the HD800 because I find their treble fatiguing. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #116 of 127

Quote:
I think the P1U is a proper amp? It's a luxman, from the sounds of it...  a really bright luxman!

Brand or price has nothing to do with the suitability of an amp ~ headphone synergy.  The P1U might be a great amp with some cans, but it doesn't seem to mesh well with the LCD-2.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #117 of 127

Quote:
No bad and no worries.  I'm glad you brought it so I got a chance to listen to it, regardless of if I liked it with the LCD-2.  Always nice to listen to other stuff out there.  I can relate to the smallish soundstage, but I've actually not had a problem with vocals and the LCD-2.  At the risk of putting words in kwkarth's mouth, I think it's not so much that the P-1u isn't a "proper" amp, it's just that it's not at its best with the LCD-2 as far as synergy.  Take it with a grain of salt (or a whole salt-lick) since a lot of it is subjective opinion.  To put things a little into perspective, I'm not a particular fan of Grados or the HD800 because I find their treble fatiguing. 
wink_face.gif

Equus!  Ya done good man!!  Thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #118 of 127

Quote:
Start with a proper amp first, then address other issues.

Sorry, you never said suitable, you said proper. I said it was a proper amp.... it is a proper amp that lacks synergy with LCD-2.

It just sounded like you were saying it was POS, so a miscommunication is all. :)

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #119 of 127
If the LCD2 is that amp sensitive, somebody should probably create a "recommanded LCD2 amp" thread, so people know if they have what it takes to drive these phones before they buy.

Looks like Leben is good, B22 is good, and?

only currently available models please, things like liquid XX and Stacker II are not officially released yet.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #120 of 127

Quote:
If the LCD2 is that amp sensitive, somebody should probably create a "recommanded LCD2 amp" thread, so people know if they have what it takes to drive these phones before they buy.

Looks like Leben is good, B22 is good, and?

only currently available models please, things like liquid XX and Stacker II are not officially released yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2

we also know that the meier concerto and WA6 can also drive the LCD2 well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back