Review: Anamon Foobar
Apr 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ninjikiran

1000+ Head-Fier
 ​
This review is not of audio quality, nor the next greatest thing in low latency audio.  Since the beginning of time humans have been attracted and mesmerized by both sound and sight.  Going to a good concert even if the quality of the sound is not as intimate or well fleshed out as it is on a high end home system can still evoke such emotion and energy.  The merging of an audio and visual experience is nothing new, and nor is this a fancy visualizer or ambx lighting system.  Something far simpler, an interface for a popular audio player.  Only one version of his work, a sampler for his custom interface work.​
 ​
 ​
What we have is a culmination of foobar plug-ins, and his own artistic skill to create a custom interface which is more pleasant on the eyes.  Now as with all things in life it comes at a price.  While he has two interfaces which he created, they are not free.  Though it is a small price of 20 Euros for HIS work.  The advantage is having something that is constantly updated and certified for future  versions of Foobar2000.  There is also an extra service which he provides which allows you to have your own custom interface created for those who have the dream but not the skill.  Meaning that much of the "bulk" can be cut off if you get a custom skin(such as if you don't need/want lyrics).

Introductions aside today I will be reviewing his Vertigo interface and my experiences with it from installation to usage.  Unfortunately I did not take any screenshots of the process.  This player is meant to be run full screen but I kind of like it in windowed mode, might ask for a custom built suited to my needs.  I am using Vertigo in orange but it comes with many different themes.

All anamon themes come with an iPod controller, that is also skinned! This is not reviewed as I don't own an ipod touch/iphone but you can check it out on his site.  Its actually quite sexy and adds value to a package that would otherwise be considered a glorified foobar theme to some. 

I have been using this theme for a few months already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Installation

I must say installation was a breeze, an installer is offered which downloads all the needed foobar plug-ins to make it work.  There are some third party plug-ins which require you download manually but installation of those is still handled by the installer. It allows you to backup your current foobar configuration which is a REQUIREMENT if you wish to keep your playlists.  It replaces the foobar user folder with itself requiring you to change your basic settings as if it were a clean installation which is necessary to allow installation to and configuration to be done automatically.  Really the most hands free foobar skin/theme installation solution, but it does get negative points for not porting your prior playlists.

2.  Main Screen

From the main screen you have access to all the basic functions you need in order to open, burn, search and library functionality.  From this screen you can find shoutcast and other various radio stations.  As far as the vertigo theme goes I find the standard play buttons and the such a tad too abstract for normal usage.  It supplies library on the top left side, and playlist parallel to it on the other side.  Not much more to say about the main page, the layout is well thought out and once again it looks great in full screen.  The two arrow buttons next to playlist allow you to arrange in another way.  Changing cover art is as easy as clicking on the cover.  The functionality is basic audio player and foobar so I won't go into specifics.  By clicking on view you move to the next screen....

3. Song view screen

​
While extra doodads such as Lyrics and Biography are not my thing, it is nicely laid out in vertigo.  Really much better than I have seen in many free themes.  Throwing this into full screen and just sitting back is a joy, allowing you to see the name of the song playing from a relaxing distance.  I wish I could say more but I cannot come up with any more description. 

4. Conclusion

This review was primarily made to display the Vertigo theme, as well as the merits of its creator.  Whether the price is worth it depends on whether it suits your style, or are dieing for a theme that is both unique and constantly updated!.  I feel for that alone the price of admission is worthy.  With how refined Vertigo is  it gives you a taste of what can be done if you request a custom order.  This will not elevate your listening experience but it will improve your overall experience.  Before wrapping it up, I must add that he provides good support, answering my questions quickly.  The review copy was free, and I was also given an extra voucher code which could be given out to a lucky head-fier.

Edit:

Received word installation was made even more seamless from when I installed it prior.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Me neither, you cant click away from the editor or you have to submit, and than edit your type
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back