[Review] A Brief Comparison of 6 Mid-Centric IEMs (UM3X, RE262, SM3, and more!)
Dec 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 23
So I finally got to play with my RE262 for a week, and I'm loving it - it's quite a sonic departure from my ZERO (not sure if good thing). I feel that it lacks a bit of sub-bass, despite reviews saying it goes pretty low. Anyone know if upgrading my cMoyBB to have two batteries and rolling in an AD8620 opamp is going to help with this? Is it "worth" the $50 (opamp + new adapter + shipping in my cMoy for revised circuitry) or is it not going to help all that much? Thanks

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
So I finally got to play with my RE262 for a week, and I'm loving it - it's quite a sonic departure from my ZERO (not sure if good thing). I feel that it lacks a bit of sub-bass, despite reviews saying it goes pretty low. Anyone know if upgrading my cMoyBB to have two batteries and rolling in an AD8620 opamp is going to help with this? Is it "worth" the $50 (opamp + new adapter + shipping in my cMoy for revised circuitry) or is it not going to help all that much? Thanks

I've never felt that an amp can help change the sonic characteristics of an IEM -- it can strengthen, but it likely just doesn't have enough sub-bass for you.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 23
Alright, I guess I'll just have to make do with what I have, not that I'm dissatisfied by any means 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Thanks for the reviews! How is bass response of re262 compared to UM3X and SM3 ? 

I owned the 262 before the UM3X and theres a LOT more bass in the UM3X. I was shocked at how little bass there was in the 262. In fact i felt it was a little too little. Fortunately it was a feature I soon became to love. The UM3X was very overpowering at first, but After listening for a while I found I love it. The different tips also change the way bass and mids sound IMFHO! Long blue rubber tips on the new Westone tips really lowered the bass and let the mids shine through. Maybe its only me that notices that.

262's mids are more forward than the UM3X. I was used to riffs and guitar solos in music being in my face with the 262 and found the upgrade to the UM2 and then the UM3X left me with something missing.

I think the description of both the UM3X and the 262 is spot on. I dont think I look for treble and dont know what you mean about rolled off treble. Doesnt bother me anyway, I love the UM3X after giving it a bit more time. Was ready to chop in for the W4R next week but I think its here to stay.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 23
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to be posting in, but does anyone have any good tips to recommend to use with the RE-262? Only the  double-flange ones that come with it give me enough isolation on the subway, but I realized that it gave the treble more prominence and made the mids less intimate compared to the medium single-flanged ones.

Essentially, I'm looking for single-flanged tips with good isolation. I've already tried:
-Sony Hybrids
-the new "hybrids" that come with the Sony MH1C
-the foam/silicon "hybrids" that come with the GR02
-everything that came with the RE-262

Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
Nice review!! Any comparisons between the Heir Audio 4ai and the Westone 4R though? Thnaks!

Sorry, never heard the W4s. There are definitely some comparisons though, you can search for them.

Quote:

I owned the 262 before the UM3X and theres a LOT more bass in the UM3X. I was shocked at how little bass there was in the 262. In fact i felt it was a little too little. Fortunately it was a feature I soon became to love. The UM3X was very overpowering at first, but After listening for a while I found I love it. The different tips also change the way bass and mids sound IMFHO! Long blue rubber tips on the new Westone tips really lowered the bass and let the mids shine through. Maybe its only me that notices that.

262's mids are more forward than the UM3X. I was used to riffs and guitar solos in music being in my face with the 262 and found the upgrade to the UM2 and then the UM3X left me with something missing.

I think the description of both the UM3X and the 262 is spot on. I dont think I look for treble and dont know what you mean about rolled off treble. Doesnt bother me anyway, I love the UM3X after giving it a bit more time. Was ready to chop in for the W4R next week but I think its here to stay.

Not sure if I agree that the 262 has more forward mids; they're probably about the same with the RE262s having a larger headspace. Loved the UM3X though, but with it being about $150 more than the RE262, I think it's a no-brainer. The UM3X is better, but probably not that much better.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to be posting in, but does anyone have any good tips to recommend to use with the RE-262? Only the  double-flange ones that come with it give me enough isolation on the subway, but I realized that it gave the treble more prominence and made the mids less intimate compared to the medium single-flanged ones.

Essentially, I'm looking for single-flanged tips with good isolation. I've already tried:
-Sony Hybrids
-the new "hybrids" that come with the Sony MH1C
-the foam/silicon "hybrids" that come with the GR02
-everything that came with the RE-262

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a fan of HiFiMan tips. I use the Hybrids, so I'm not sure what to recommend. I'd say try Comply foams or decored Shure olives if you need more isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back