Restore a Marantz SR2000 or buy an amp new?
Sep 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sneakyfrench

New Head-Fier
A few weeks ago I was talking to my dad about audio, since he used to be really into that stuff. I mentioned that I was considering buying a headphone amp. At that, he told me to follow him out to the attic, pulled out a dusty old receiver, and told me I could try it out. A Marantz SR2000, bought in 1982, and it looked perfect.

Since then, I've hooked it up at home, and the sound is simply amazing. Even A700s, which I've heard time and time again don't benefit much from amping, were now literally vibrating on my head. That alone was encouragement enough to upgrade my cans to some DT990/600. The Marantz has some issues though that stop it from earning a permanent place in my setup.

One of the input channels doesn't work. That's not to say I only get sound through one cup - it seems that the other channel gets picked up and it basically gets output as mono sound. In addition, when the "Loudness" switch is turned off, the left channel is considerably quieter than the right. There's some other minor problems too, but nothing important that affects the sound. Being the same receiver my dad used as a kid, it has sentimental value as well, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get it repaired. I'm not sure of the cost, or for that matter, what kind of shop would be able to do such work.

The other option would be to start researching a dedicated headphone amp with a budget of about $250. I'm thinking Little Dot MKIII, but honestly, I'm really in the dark on the subject right now. I just know I love the idea of tubes.

So, I'm pondering

1) About how much, and would it be worth it to get the Marantz checked out and repaired?
2) Should I just side with a headphone amp, and if so, a couple of names to look at?
3) Which would yield a better overall listening experience?

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 8
i'm not sure what it would cost to restore. should of had your dad call some repair stores around for estimates. as for it being worth restored. absolutely. can't let old gems like that die. also i wouldn't be surprised if you liked the receiver over some headphone amps since receivers back then were built better due to a receiver war going on in the 70's and 80's.even a budget line vintage amp will outclass the most expansive ht receivers or some expansive headphone amps for music and audio performance. also all headphone outputs are ran off the same built-in speaker amp in vintage gear and are much more powerful than most if all amps built-in todays receiver.

i say give some stores a call.i'm not what exactly the problem is but from the sound it's only minor and shouldn't cost much. if it ends up costing more than your budget then get the little dot mk3. either way it's a win but i highly suggest ask around stores or audiokarma forums about the marantz cause lot of vintage gear is a pleasent to the ear.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I certainly would consider restoration as well, and asking on Audio Kharma is the best place to ask about vintage gear.  Your receiver is probably about ready for replacing some of the caps anyways.

I am waiting on my dad to get tired of his McIntosh system, a C22 pre and 60 watt tubed monoblocks.  Since it dates back to the mid 60s, I will have to get some solid work done on it.  I am not in a hurry, but if he downsizes his home....

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 8
The old Marantz units are terrific. I'd look into restoration. Fixed up, it will give you many more options than a new headphone amp will. A receiver and the ability to drive speakers would be great. Also, I think your father would be happy seeing it put back into regular use.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Just a little side note.  I just bought an sr2000 from a guy at a yard sale for $5.00. He said to make an offer, and before I could say anything, he said "just give me $5.00, so I did.  I'll probably have to clean the contacts on the controls, but it works very well.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 8
As to your question, try going to Radio Shack and get a can of tuner cleaner, take the cover off and try spraying all of the switches and working them several times.  This often cleans the corrosion off of the contacts.  If this works, this may save you a ton of money. Also try and just blow any dust etc out of it using a can of CLEAN compressed air. Good luck.

May 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Sounds like a simple repair and you may be able to do this yourself by, buying a can of deOxit5 and spray all controls and working them back a forth while you spray all controls and switches and I mean all including the Speaker selectors the mode switch, especially if the Receiver has sitting around for long periods of time. Give that a try and if your not into doing it your self I can service it for you witch includes cleaning replacing all lights a have it working and looking like new with a 90 day Guarantee for no more than $60.00, plus you pay the shipping both ways and that model is pretty light so shipping should be no more than $35.00 to $50.00 both ways depending on what part of the Country your shipping from. But try douching the controls first and save your self some money and the deOxit5 is less than $12.00 a can, good luck. Supertech99...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back