Reshelling shure 535
Aug 1, 2013 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nwsk

New Head-Fier
Hiya,

I accidentally broke off the nozzle on one of my shure 535s, and it turns out Shure wants to charge me 300 bucks to replace the whole unit (driver and all) to repair it. I'm thinking it makes more economical sense to just reshell it, since it's only the casing that's damaged and the drivers should be fine. 

Through googling, I've identified Unique Melody and inearcustom, the latter being the cheaper alternative. Wondering if anyone here has good/bad experiences, or just any suggestions or insights as to what I should do? 

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 13
If you are in the states fisher (inearz) is another popular option. Inearcustom has had some teething troubles according to the thread (second or third page) and there's also 1964 ears who are a bit more expensive.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the replies, I'm in Singapore (southeast Asia), so unfortunately nothing nearby I think... Pity on the sales thread, it's already closed. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, it's really quite ridiculous that they want to replace the entire thing for simple damage to the outer casing... the drivers which should be the most pricey/complicated part are still working perfectly fine, which is why reshelling seems so economical.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 13
If I were you, I'd contact Shure's global headquarters for clarification and/or confirmation of that replacement policy.

But first, see if there's a Service Fee section on Shure-Asia's website.

It is truly bizarre that it would cost more for your location (since the parts are actually built in Asia--specifically in China). It would cost me less than $200 to replace the entire IEM from Shure's U.S. website.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 13
I did contact Shure via their website, and they confirmed they were charging 300+ for it. Was ridiculous, I got mine reshelled with Inearz instead. I guess their policy may vary between regions though (I'm in Singapore, Southeast Asia).

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 13
That would entail taking apart the earphones yourself... As someone without any experience or background in modding etc, I wouldn't take the risk of damaging the drivers in the process. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back