Reshelling Sennheiser IE800's
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stasaki90

Head-Fier
Hello Folks

Im quite new to the community and this will be my first thread created so go easy on me.

I'm currently using the sennheiser ie800's through the Fostex Hp-P1 and loving it.
However, my ear hole is small and the ie800's have a hard time staying in place. (yes I tried all the sizes)
So I contacted many companies that reshell, and all but one denied my request for reshelling them...

Yup, Heir Audio

SO would anybody be able to help me if Im just making a fool out of myself by risking a $1000 iem or would this be something thats worth a try.
Thanks for your opinion

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 21
Well for srarters if you do gp for a reshell make sure you get a really good mold made.

Its also a toss up. On the reshell it could help your fit but it could mess up/ mess with the soundstaging. Or overall sound of the iem.

Personally I would probsbly just sell them and go with a diff iem vs messing with such a high end iem.

Just my opinion

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm not sure you actually tried everything in terms of tips.
Sennheiser is not exactly known to deliver a good choice of tips with their IEMs (anyone who bought Westones or Shures would confirm).

I would try third-party tips (Comply, MEELec plus all the eBay stuff) before going to something as extreme as reshelling.
You could even consider having custom-moulded tips made, rather than reshelling.

With reshelling, you'll have no guarantee that the sound will stay the same, and you'll lose the potential for a good resale.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 21
I've read about how sounds change from reshelling a universal to a custom. If I was in your situation, I would try different tips as suggested. Only if that fails then would I even consider the reshell.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 21
Instead of breaking the lovely ceramic shell, why not fit a custom gel/silicon casing around the IE 800 so it fits as if it were a custom?

I have the problem that I've lost the Senn tips and the comply tips fall off every day, at least once. T-500

Love them except for the fit issues.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm not sure which tips you mean. but if they simply fit around the barrel flange as do the Senn and Comply tips then I'll be in the same boat. Only I'll be loosing more expensive tips, The ones I'm thinking of surround the OEM shell and can be slipped off. IMHO, this should prevent them falling off, isolate better and be comfy. I think someone (perhaps Sure) was offering this service for 535s a while back.

Does anyone know if this can be done or who is offering this service?

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 21
  I'm not sure which tips you mean. but if they simply fit around the barrel flange as do the Senn and Comply tips then I'll be in the same boat. Only I'll be loosing more expensive tips, The ones I'm thinking of surround the OEM shell and can be slipped off. IMHO, this should prevent them falling off, isolate better and be comfy. I think someone (perhaps Sure) was offering this service for 535s a while back.

Does anyone know if this can be done or who is offering this service?

I think they're referring to eartips like these - nearly every custom IEM manufacturer makes them. Based on your description you need something that fits like in the video below and you should probably look into doing the same thing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back