Request Grado Modders Help Please.
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #16 of 23

Quote:

@Albedo ... You must be joking. I can't put a nail into my Grados, much less hammer it in! Hardcore **** Bro. Why can't I pay someone to do this!?

Why don't you try some of the less intrusive mods first such as different pads etc, these can provide subtle changes to the sound signature of the Grado's. I found the mod where you wrap black electrical tape around the outsides of the bowls gave my RS2i's a better bottom end, if you don't like it just take it off with no harm done.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 23
Thanks for the heads up guys, must of missed those posts

Quote:
I can tell you that in the back of my mind I had the notion of sending them to Canada and get a Magnum light mode by Symphones... worst case scenario. 

I live in Canada. This mod sounds int resting what does it do?

Edit: Holy **** are you kidding? $400 for a headphone that is worth $300? I don't care how good the improvements are that is just ridiculous.
blink.gif

Edit 2: Reading through the Magnum thread it looks like the mod beats the RS1i in SQ. I would consider this instead of uprgading.

Quote:

Why don't you try some of the less intrusive mods first such as different pads etc, these can provide subtle changes to the sound signature of the Grado's. I found the mod where you wrap black electrical tape around the outsides of the bowls gave my RS2i's a better bottom end, if you don't like it just take it off with no harm done.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the the electrical tape, and It worked great! I am however happy with the stock bowls as the other pads compromise on too much I like. Kneel Jung mentioned replacing the plastic housing with wood, any benefits sonically?

I would really love to get them modded interested aesthetically and sonically but I really don't think I'm adventurous enough to do it myself.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the the electrical tape, and It worked great! I am however happy with the stock bowls as the other pads compromise on too much I like. Kneel Jung mentioned replacing the plastic housing with wood, any benefits sonically?

Replacing your plastic driver housing with wood, would configure your 325 to something akin to an HF2. An aluminum shell with a wood driver housing is how Grado configured the HF2. Replacing the plastic driver housing is also the meat of the Symphones mod. They do some other things with the driver too. The same sort of "destressing" stuff that Grado does to tweak their drivers whatever that consists of. Anyway it's all about getting rid of the plastic, so that the sound waves arent bouncing around resonating with plastic.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
 Reading through the Magnum thread it looks like the mod beats the RS1i in SQ. I would consider this instead of uprgading.

I think the price for Magnum Light is $299, as you're a member of Head-Fi you get a discount. Still it's quite a bit of cash to shell out, but this mod is professional and it's effects are documented by several individuals on this board. A DIY Grado are much harder to sell... down the road.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 23
For those with the 325s and limited resources to procuring wooden liners, I've often wondered if some small width balsa would be the answer?  In the craft stores, they sell 1/4" wide balsa wood in 3 foot lengths.  If one were to procure a few pieces and cut them to size so they would fit into your aluminum cups, it would be a good - and cheap test.  One would need enough pieces of balsa at 1.5" or so long to go around the inside diameter of the cups to see how this would work.  The balsa could be held in place temporarily by some pliable putty or some Dynamat that has been removed from the aluminum foil sheathing.

I don't own a pair of 325s at the moment.  But, if I did, I'd pick up $10 - 15 in supplies and probably try this option out.  After the cups were opened, I'd remove the part of the plastic liner that sits in part of the cup and take good measurements for the balsa and go from there.  One can't lose for trying.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 23
"If you will make these mods, your 325 will become the Voice of God." ...

LOL

(sorry, I know that didn't contribute anything meaningful but I found it utterly hilarious)

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
I've often wondered if some small width balsa would be the answer? 

I've always thought of a different tree, as Tannoy puts it..

Quote: http://www.usspeaker.com/Tannoy%20Dimension-1.htm
Cabinet material and construction is a vital ingredient of loudspeaker design. Solidity and neutrality are the key elements sought by Tannoy's acoustic engineers when optimizing performance levels. The Dimension cabinet utilizes birch ply for the primary panel components. Due to the anisotropic nature of this laminated solid wood material, the effects of cabinet coloration, which would otherwise impair musical accuracy, are greatly diminished.

Winter time up in the Canadian mountains (tree line boarder) that's the right time to harvest a slow growing birch.

Edit: Typo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back