Request: A Noob's Guide To Reviewing Headphones
May 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

i2ehan

Aka: Nightcrawler, Oof Oink
Was flipping items from the classifieds on eBay.
To those who are all too familiar with posting detailed reviews, I'd really like to post up my impressions of my 900 PRO's (which arrive tomorrow
o2smile.gif
) but am very inexperienced with regards to hi-fi reviews. I have the glossary on hand as a reference, but don't think it's enough and was wondering if someone experienced could please provide maybe a sample track off of youtube and post a newbie guide as to what to listen for, and where in the track to listen for it (eg highs, mids, lows, etc.). I'm sure this would be a great help to the community, as the more impressions we are able to provide, the easier it will be for everyone to decide which CAN best suits them. If this has already been posted elsewhere, I apologize.

May 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I think the most useful thing in a review is a comparison to another headphone that people are familiar with.  Saying "Awesome bass" is completely subjective because one person's "awesome bass" is another person's "flabby bass" or "grandma bass" or "non-existent bass".  But comparing to another headphone is more objective.  Even better is when you don't do the comparison with subjective statements like "better treble", but describe how the differences sound, so that even if someone doesn't have the same taste as you, they can see that they may prefer the headphone that you dislike. 

If you get to know certain headphones, then when you find something you don't like in a headphone, you can compare it to other headphones and say that if you liked that headphone it might not bother you, or might be a good thing. 

A review like this is infinitely more useful to people then just saying what you think of the treble, mids and bass. 

May 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 3
I fully agree with you my friend, but that approach would of course require headphones within the same class, or as close as possible, for comparison sake. I think an approach that everyone can take advantage of, assuming they don't own headphones which offer a good comparison, is for listeners here to simpy request a specific track or two that represents their genre of music best, and for the owner of the headphones to listen to the track(s) and post his/her impression on the highs, mids, lows, soundstage, etc. In order to do that, the reviewee must know how to properly critique a song, and what to listen for and where. I'd really like to see an example of this from an experienced reviewee here on the forums, as we have many here that critique their listening experience very well. My 900 PRO's are living proof of that, because had it not been for the reviews I encountered here that convinced me that these are hands down amongst the best trance cans around, my ears would never have experienced such an incredible sound.
dt880smile.png

Kudos to this wonderful forum, and all of its contributors! If someone wouldn't mind considering my initial request, and posting a guide for newbies such as myself on what to listen for and where to listen for it, it'd be immensly appreciated! However, I don't want to be of a bother to anyone, so I'm simply putting it out there, not demanding that anyone responds of course! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back