replacing my super.fi 5 pros
Dec 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
HELLOOOOOO HEAD-FI! it has been far too long. I have resisted your evil temptations, but like an addict, I always come crawling back for more.

It's been about 3 or 4 years since I've been active on these threads... But today's emergency calls for extreme measures. My super.fi 5 Pros were damaged last night. I heard the right unit going in and out, so I attempted to adjust the cable. Turns out it was the cable seat/fixture, and not the actual cable that was the problem, and the entire thing was yanked out of the earphone when i tried to separate them! I actually had this issue years ago, but my 'phones were still under warranty back then. I know that Logitech bought out UE a couple years back, but I didn't know what to expect from their customer service. Apparently, repairs are no longer processed through UE, and instead go right to Logitech. I was told that they didn't do repairs, and instead sold units at a 50% discount. Unfortunately, being a college student, the 5 pros at a 50% discount (around $125, I'm told) doesn't seem like such a great deal anymore. (When I bought them in high school, I got them at the then-killer deal of $150 and they were STILL the most expensive purchase I've ever made.)

I'm assuming that at this point, repairing these phones are out of the question, so now I'm looking to replace them. I guess I was also never that impressed with the Super-Fis to begin with. The mids and highs always seemed a bit here was never that "WOW" factor. I've never particularly enjoyed IEMs in general (the ER6i's, for example, are pretty uncomfortable), but nothing seems to beat them for portability and isolation

The problem is, it seems like everybody and their MOTHER makes an IEM now. Whatever happened to the good ol days when it was just Shure and Ety, with UE and Westone being the new kids on the block? I'm really confused, and I don't even know where to start looking any more. My budget is around 100, give or take about 30. With all the increased competition, is there something that now outperforms the 5 Pros at a cheaper price? Some of the models I've been looking at include the Head Direct RE0, the Klipsch S4, and the Ety HF5s. I remember that a couple years ago, I lusted after the Westone UM2, but they're a bit out of my price range.

Sorry about the lengthy post, guys. It's time for finals, and I'm in essay writing mode.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 23
You just missed a great deal. Amazon and Logitech were selling the Triple.Fi's for $99. Maybe, if you're lucky, someone here can sell them to you for that price if they happen not to like them.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 23
I don't know exactly how the UE sound sig compares to the Head-Direct RE0, but the RE0 is STILL selling for $99, and lots of folks here think it is still a steal at that price. It has loads of details, and has a very clear and balanced SQ. It can use some amping, tho, to bring out the bass impact -- but even the cheapie Fiio E5 does a decent job at that. It has dynamic drivers, so I've found that it was a little tight early on, but after 100 hours or so, it seemed to loosen up some and the bass impact seemed to increase some.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 23
It seems like my search has led me to the RE0 and the Fischer Audio Eterna. Two questions... where on earth do you buy Fischers? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Also, the website for the RE0 looks really sketchy... head-direct.com. Is this the right website?

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 23
eterna's has no Western Hemisphere distributor, much less a US distributor
frown.gif
unfortunately many of us currently do not have the opportunity to obtain a pair.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the website for the RE0 looks really sketchy... head-direct.com. Is this the right website?

lol Yeah, the website could really use a makeover, but it's legit.

And the RE0 are... well... yeah, ummm... just get them.
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 23
can someone compare the super.fi 5 pros to the RE0?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 23
anyone?

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 23
read some more reviews... now i'm between the RE0, S4, and the HF5s again. Has anyone compared these to the SF 5 pros before?

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 23
please drop the s4, it does not have much going for it, it gets congested with any complex passage in the midbass, I know many like them, and god bless them, I just don't get it, I gave them away.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 23
I've not heard the SF 5, but I own the super.fi 4, and the S4. By comparison the S4 is much more alive and dynamic compared to the super.fi 4, but the super.fi 4 is much faster. Bass is pretty significant on the S4, so it just depends on what kind of sound sig you're looking for. I haven't heard the RE0's so I can't comment on them.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 23
When I first had them, I hated them. But somehow, someway, they grew on me. They just have a very exciting sound...great for at work or at the gym. But you are right, they do tend to get congested at times. Amping seems to help that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please drop the s4, it does not have much going for it, it gets congested with any complex passage in the midbass, I know many like them, and god bless them, I just don't get it, I gave them away.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for the comparisons. I guess I may just end up experimenting and going with whatever is cheapest. I'm wondering if SQ past a certain point on portables is really that important to me anyways... I only use IEMs if I'm on the go, and I almost never used my SF5Ps at home anyways... much preferred to use my SR80s or HD580s.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first had them, I hated them. But somehow, someway, they grew on me. They just have a very exciting sound...great for at work or at the gym. But you are right, they do tend to get congested at times. Amping seems to help that.

I can't argue the amping helps, with that said, If I'm gonna bother with an amp, I'm not using the s4's. The gym part is true. But I just shove some shure's deep in my ears, and grunt on. There are many that love the s4, I can't get past that congestion. (Jaded Ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back