Replacing audio connector on headphones
Dec 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got the Denon AHD2000's and enjoying them immensely. The problem is I have no use for all the length I have in the cord. I have never done an audio connector before, but was thinking of cutting the cord at the length that I want and putting a new plug on. I just want to know what is involved as I have not much clue in this particular area

I've seen a few 3.5mm male connectors, and was wondering how you know which wire to put to which connector. Will I even be able to tell when cutting into and exposing the stock wires of my headphones. 

I just spent a lot of money of the headphones, and am much more willing to deal with the length until i get it recabled if i do not feel confident I can do the modification and have no negative impact on my headphones. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 30
Well I never opened a Denon before, but when I recable and I don't know the wires, I do this.

The grounds are very likely to be the same color, so you solder those to ground. THEN, get a song where you know where the sounds are. For example, I have a Rise Against song where it starts out only in the left channel. Then touch a wire to the left terminal and hear if the sound is beginning in the left. If not, then it simply goes to the other one.

It's a very easy process, don't fret it.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 30

Thanks. My soldering skills are quite basic, but you help give me some confidence. I am thinking i will just go into my iTunes and change the balance of a song to the complete left or right for a few minutes to test it. What type of solder, what gauge? 

If i get the connector from radioshack, which ones are going to be the best quality. What should I look for?
Quote:
Well I never opened a Denon before, but when I recable and I don't know the wires, I do this.
The grounds are very likely to be the same color, so you solder those to ground. THEN, get a song where you know where the sounds are. For example, I have a Rise Against song where it starts out only in the left channel. Then touch a wire to the left terminal and hear if the sound is beginning in the left. If not, then it simply goes to the other one.
It's a very easy process, don't fret it.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 30
If you got a multimeter you can check which wires are connected where (tip -> left channel - ring -> right channel - sleeve ->common) on the old jack .
The wires will probably be color coded. 
That's all you need to know. :)

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 30
The solder I use is .025" diameter at 23 gauge, 63/37 blend. 60/40 blend is perfectly fine as well.
As for the plug, I don't usually shop Radioshack, but I know this worked, for me at least.
EDIT: Removed link, turned out it was the solder one I used. This one was solderless.

Personally I just use Neutrik myself. Is it possible for you to get neutrik?

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 30
So, I did the repair. I managed to mess up a bunch because of the fact that the cord is quite thick. Turns out the wires that go into each can has its wire and sleeve inside the main cord that breaks off into the two wires (one for each can). This made the end larger than any plugs i could find in Radioshack. That being said, I know I wanna get a recabling done, especially after this. I dont wanna mess with these cords myself ever again.

Good news it works, bad news, it's not the prettiest thing, but no one will know unless they are paying attention. After my semester is over and I get back from my vacation, I'll be sending these things out soon after for Chris_Himself to recable them with silver wires and make them professional looking.

The thickness of the cable means that it doesnt fit under the metal cover for the soldered part of the tip. My friend in Philly has these plastic tubes she puts over wires and then heats them so they shrink over the connection. Anyone know what they are called/where I can find them? 

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 30
heat shrink.

It comes in various sizes, colors, thicknesses (and some have adhesive).

Radio shack sells multi-packs of a variety of sizes and colors. I usually order mine from Markertek when I get other supplies. Pretty cheap stuff. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 30
Thanks. The heat shrink will definitely help fix the problem. I just talked for my friend who makes cables for The Sound Professionals and told her I appreciate her a lot more now.

Quote:
Lighter will work fine for that

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 30
Check out my handiwork thanks to heat shrink. It's definitely helped me cover up the gap I had between the original cord and the inner cords going into the audio plug. It is a bit stiff though, but since its only about an inch and a half, and its only near the audio plug, it shouldnt be an issue and also relieve stress on the exposed cables, since they are now covered. Just wish I knew to do this before so the extra trip to radioshack wasnt necessary. 

Definitely feel like I can take my time getting the recabling done now that I did the heat shrink thing.

And now that the work is complete, I am going to go back to enjoying my new headphones, now I get to appreciate them more with my own handiwork on them. Tested out my school jacket/backpack setup and the shorter cable length is perfect, with a bit of cable to spare for movement and future uses. The cord is now about 74 inches from cans to end of plug.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 30
Looks nice, and sound nice too, when the audio is working right. Seems that my little modification has a small issue with cord movement. I guess my handiwork isnt as great as I thought. 

I bought two new plugs from radioshack, just the radioshack branded ones that they offer. Think it may be an issue with a poor quality plug or bad connections? Sometimes my right ear goes out and when i rotate the plug it gives a lot of static. also seems to be losing volume of the audio a bit as it loses the right ear. 

Been playing with the cord a bit and it seems their is a slight curve that if i pull the cord a bit more in that direction i lose the right ear, and any other direction it has no effect on the audio. Maybe more carefully used heat shrink might stiffen it up and straighten it out? Any suggestions? Shouldnt be a big issue as my main uses are when I am in a stationary location, but a bit annoying still.

Thankfully, I knew I am an amateur at this, so I made the cord on the longer side of the ideal length I wanted it. I can still try to undo the audio plug/replace it or even cut another inch or two if I have to to get it right, if I feel like I know how to properly fix the issue.

EDIT: Managed to bend the cord into optimal placing and shrink the excess heat shrink bubble that had formed. This issue is more contained now. I dont seem to lose audio on my right ear, just slight volume loss on my right ear sometimes if it moves in a few specific ways. Might just use another layer of heat shrink on the plug if i really find it an issue. I can always just cut off the extra layer if it doesnt do much. 

Also, anyone know where I might be able to get someone more experienced to fix this? Kinda hesitant about messing up again. 

Quote:
looks nice!

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
It's probably a bad soldering job then? Reflow the right channel.

due to the size of the cable and stuff, i'm going to have to live with the problems for now and order better plugs first, and then redo the connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Back