Replacement for SE110 : UE700 ? X10 ? Q-Jays ? => X10 chosen, good deal on EBAY !!
Aug 3, 2009 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vinch666

New Head-Fier
Hi !

I've been reading a lot of messages on this forum, but can't find a way to make up my mind on choosing replacement earphones for my SE110.

So I'm looking for :

* Comfort
* very good isolation (I mostly use my earphones in the subway)
* Solid wires
* Good sound for : Rock/Metal such as TOOL, Deftones, Radiohead, ISIS, Jack johnson, depeche mode, a perfect circle, massive attackn Jimi Hendrix....

I made a selection : UE700, X10, Q-JAYS

.... but I need your expert point of view to really make up my mind.

Thanks !!
ksc75smile.gif

EDIT : BTW my audio source i an IPOD touch 1G, maybe not the best source ever.....

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 17
If you liked the Se110, then i would say the UE700 is out and you're left with X10 and q-Jays. q-Jays offers better high extendability, while the X10 offer a warmer sound sig, with a mighty powerful low end. Isolation is very good for both, and so is comfort. Wires both are very good too, the microphonics are more present on the q-jays cable though.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Actually I'm a bit disappointed with the SE110...that's why I'm looking for a replacement after almost 2 years.

Why is UE700 out for you ?? What's the big difference with the others ?

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinch666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I'm a bit disappointed with the SE110...that's why I'm looking for a replacement after almost 2 years.

Why is UE700 out for you ?? What's the big difference with the others ?

The UE700 is extremely bright on the highs, and could be irritating at times. The q-jays is very balanced, and similar to the UE700 but with less irritation and less emphasis on the highs and more detail and smoothness in the mids. The X10 is very warm, with a slightly recessed high compared to the other two, and a warm mid, and the most powerful low within the three.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 17
What about the lows in Q-jays ?

I read that Q-jays can sound a bit cold sometimes, and UE700 has a more dynamic sound (higher highs, lower lows....), also heard that X10 can be too warm sometimes...... That's why I selected UE700 that seems to be a good compromise.

I mostly listen to rock music so lows are pretty important to me.

Thanks for your help !

Other opinions ?

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 17
Mmm i heard both the UE 700 and X10. I think the X10 fares better with rock music with more weight in the lows and warmth in the mids, though the UE 700 was no slouch either.

But IMO, the klipsch does loses out with slightly less detail compared to the UE 700. In congested passages, i found the klipsch sometimes getting a little choked up in the low end.

That said, i listened to both briefly so someone who had more time with both can probably give you better advice

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I actually went from the Shure SE110 to the Klipsch X10. It is seriously night and day, the Klipsch just does everything better (I would hope). The Klipsch just has a much more natural sound to it, more like what you get from a speaker.

its a pretty radical switch but everything that I was missing in the Shures, was all there in the klipsch

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi vinch666

I used Shure SE210 with my ipod touch 2gen. I upgraded to UE700 and I am extremely happy with the SQ, my music taste is very similar to yours. I was also having the same thoughts as you, I also considered senheiser IE8, it is same price where I live but I was afraid that the bas will be too overwhelming, the same reason I did not choose the X10. The jays are a bit cheaper here, but I prefer not to have the cable separated in the middle. In addition does the UE700 come with an airline alternator, since I travel often it is something I will use.

My stereo setup (10.000€ system) reminds me in many ways of the Ipod/UE700, extremely deep and precise bass, with a good punch and attack (in lack of better words) the mid and top very detailed, and it is very easy to separate the instruments.

The wear comfort is also extremely good on the UE700, it is actually so small that you can sleep with them…

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Thank you for your help !!

I can't really say it's easier to decide now, but I see that whatever the one I choose I won't be disappointed !!

I think I still have a preference for UE700 because of the dual driver, a more detailled sound and the included comply foams as I don't really like silicon tips and it gives better isolation.

I also heard that X10 has a lot of microphonics and are pretty fragile....
Concerning Q-jays I'm afraid the sound can be too cold.....

Feel free to give me more advices !!

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 17
On the SE210 I used the large foam bud, on the UE700 I use the medium silicon tips. When I use the comply foams on the UE700 the bass is lacking, it is too small for my ears. It is no problem for me, as I prefer the silicon tip, it is so much easier just to plug it in than rolling and holding in place for 10 seconds. I also have a better comfort with the silicone tip on the UE700 than I had with the foamis of the SE210. It was irritating my ears after a short period; I do not experience that with the silicone tip of the UE700.

Quote:

Thank you for your help !!

I can't really say it's easier to decide now, but I see that whatever the one I choose I won't be disappointed !!

I think I still have a preference for UE700 because of the dual driver, a more detailled sound and the included comply foams as I don't really like silicon tips and it gives better isolation.

I also heard that X10 has a lot of microphonics and are pretty fragile....
Concerning Q-jays I'm afraid the sound can be too cold.....

Feel free to give me more advices !!

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by msp99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the SE210 I used the large foam bud, on the UE700 I use the medium silicon tips. When I use the comply foams on the UE700 the bass is lacking, it is too small for my ears. It is no problem for me, as I prefer the silicon tip, it is so much easier just to plug it in than rolling and holding in place for 10 seconds. I also have a better comfort with the silicone tip on the UE700 than I had with the foamis of the SE210. It was irritating my ears after a short period; I do not experience that with the silicone tip of the UE700.

Thanks, good to know

I don't like the silicone tips of my SE110 it is irritating, but maybe the UE700's are much more comfortable.

Did you try the Shure's silicon tips of your SE210 ?

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 17
No, I did not, I was not able to get a popper seal with the silicone tip of the SE210, hence I only used the foamies

Quote:

Thanks, good to know

I don't like the silicone tips of my SE110 it is irritating, but maybe the UE700's are much more comfortable.

Did you try the Shure's silicon tips of your SE210 ?

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by msp99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi vinch666

I used Shure SE210 with my ipod touch 2gen. I upgraded to UE700 and I am extremely happy with the SQ, my music taste is very similar to yours. I was also having the same thoughts as you, I also considered senheiser IE8, it is same price where I live but I was afraid that the bas will be too overwhelming, the same reason I did not choose the X10. The jays are a bit cheaper here, but I prefer not to have the cable separated in the middle. In addition does the UE700 come with an airline alternator, since I travel often it is something I will use.

My stereo setup (10.000€ system) reminds me in many ways of the Ipod/UE700, extremely deep and precise bass, with a good punch and attack (in lack of better words) the mid and top very detailed, and it is very easy to separate the instruments.

The wear comfort is also extremely good on the UE700, it is actually so small that you can sleep with them…

What do you think about Highs on UE700 ???

Some say it's perfection, some say it's irritating...
confused_face_2.gif

Some say Q-jays can be a bit boring with rock music, and as UE700 is very similar to Q-jays so....

From SE210 to UE700 did you need "adaptation" time ?

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why dont u get PFE? it's around 110USD and it sounds very nice.

I'm looking for more compact earphones for a better comfort, PFE seem to be pretty big....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back