Replacement for RE0
May 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mIndex

New Head-Fier
My RE0s, which were my first pair of quality headphones, recently started cutting out.  I'm looking to try something different, probably around the 80 dollar range again, though I may consider going higher.  Overall, I was pretty impressed by the RE0s, but I did think they were a little light on bass.  Also, I found the highs to be somewhat harsh sometimes.  So I'm looking for suggestions of headphones, preferably around 80 dollars, but I'll consider up to about 140 if it seems worth it.  They need fairly strong bass, but not ridiculous and overpowering, and less harsh highs than the RE0s.

May 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 14
The RE0s are pretty hard to beat at this price range. You might consider getting another pair of RE0s and investing in a portable amp (which will help improve the bass). They have a high impedance for IEMs, so they respond well to amping.

May 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Started cutting out - losing one of the channels at times?

XCape V1 is close to what you want. But, I've not tried it myself.

RE-ZERO would not add much when it comes to bass quantity. But, it does have better quality bass compared to RE0. I like the ZERO a bit more than the "0".

Up the order, VSonic GR07 has what you are looking for, though it's a bit outside your maximum budget of $140.

May 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Also consider the phonak PFE. It will have a similar analytical sound like the RE0. However, the pfe boasts much better bass extension (all the way down to 20Hz) and better dynamics.

May 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 14
My RE-0 has better bass extension than the Phonak(grey filter) when I had them (when fed enough power), though Phonak's bass quantity is closer to natural. The PFE is also a little more peaky in the low highs for my ears, though RE0 has more upper treble quantity. I guess my ears can tolerate quantity better. Still the Phonak is a great IEM, definitely worth a try if you can get it under $80.

For under $80, Xcape v1 and RE-ZERO gets my vote. Or if you want something warmer, MEelec A151 was nice and warm-sounding when i tried them (though not as good as Phonak).

May 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 14
When I used the re0 I don't remember being impressed with the bass extension. In point of fact, they had a rather sharp rolloff in the low bass, resulting in a defacto mid-bass hump of sorts. But the death knell of the re0's for me was their dynamics - or more accurately, the utter lack thereof. Though not as bad as etymotic, everything still sounded too constrained and lacking in that "joie de vivre" which good dynamic range provides.

May 25, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
When I used the re0 I don't remember being impressed with the bass extension. In point of fact, they had a rather sharp rolloff in the low bass, resulting in a defacto mid-bass hump of sorts. But the death knell of the re0's for me was their dynamics - or more accurately, the utter lack thereof. Though not as bad as etymotic, everything still sounded too constrained and lacking in that "joie de vivre" which good dynamic range provides.

You still have to understand that they're pretty good for their price point though.

Still, from what I hear about them, they're definitely not worth the $200 they used to be.

May 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

True, dynamics is not very good with the RE0, but for the price, I can't complain :). For its bass, I didn't hear midbass hump, in fact I was a bit disappointed with it overall bass body both low bass and mid bass. Impact and snappiness was ok but the body of the bass was not enough for my taste. I could hear the low bass fairly well when the record demanded it. I didn't think the Phonak and ER4P, which I had at the time, had deeper bass than the RE0. 

May 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 14
@calipilot: I don't think I'm gonna go that route, but if I did, what amp would you reccomend?

Otherwise, I am interested in the Xcapes.  Also, while looking through the IEM review thread I found the Hippo VBs.  From the reviews I've read it sounds pretty good.  I'm not sure about the selection with tips that come with it, but one review mentioned using tips from the RE1, so I assume I could use tips from my RE0s?

May 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 14
I had the VB. The lower highs is harsher than RE0 and everything else worse IMO than the RE0, but the VB's bass is very deep and rumbly for an IEM (good if you're bas basshead). The VB sacrifices some of the transparency and overall smoothness of the RE0 (the RE0 is amazingly smooth for such a bright IEM) for a nice bass rumble. 

The Xcape (the v1, not the v2), iss quite similar to the RE0 but a bit warmer and has a little bit more bass body but it's still not a bassy IEM.

May 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 14
The Shure SE215 has been getting a lot of attention on this forum. I have both and like the SE215 MUCH better than the RE0. They also meet your price. If you choose to go this direction, I suggest you get the cable with the iphone mic, which doesn't have the memory wire on each ear.

Brad.

May 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 14
I looked into the Shure SE215 and they seemed like basically what I was looking for and within in my price range, so I ordered a pair from earphone solutions.  Thanks for the help, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back