Replace My CD Player?
Jul 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks

I haven't been in hi-fi circles for a while and I know there is amazing gear out there, but have just stuck to the IEM hobby.

Mu current stereo setup:

Bryston B60
Arcam CD72T
Kinima Hi G1

I was wondering what I may replace my CD Player with to go the dedicated DAC route (flac files)? Would the sound card output a digital signal to the DAC? I use an EMU 0404 as the sound card and output its audio via 1/4" to RCA aux input on the amp.

I'm already used to the CD Player being very good, but I know there have been many advances in DAC technology that may even squash the Delta-Sigma in my Arcam.
http://www.arcam.co.uk/advice-and-support/discontinued-products/CD72CDPlayer

Is three something modern and worthy out there that would outperform my Arcam without question? Even at under $300? I've seen a lot of form factors so I'm curious. What are all the current best of / hyped components nowadays?

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Why not connect to your PC though a Squeezebox Touch? Good clean coax output (usually better then USB into a dac, unless it is asynchronious), affordable, easy to control through the screen, RC and aps (IOS and android).
And no need to have the PC near, I use my Touch through wifi.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, your Arcam is a fine cd player with a decent dac.  And most models of dacs in the under $300 range are going to be delta sigma.  Yes, there are some nos.  I am afraid many of the dacs at that price point will not squash your Arcam.

Assuming the 0404 is the pci board then you will get good digital out to feed a dac and with a decent coax or optical can get very good sound indeed, but I don;t think you would hear a drastic difference between your cd player and pc.  Most $300 dacs I have heard sound similar to the 0404 with minor differences, although there are exceptions. I really think you have to go up to the $500 range to find something significantly better than what you have, although many would debate that and question what is significant.  I am cool with that.

Sorry I could not offer any black and white suggestions, I think you need to experience some dacs for yourself and form some value opinions.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 4
It's alright. After more thinking I'll probably go for a USB DAC and replace my 0404 instead...

- audible pc whirly noise
- it uses the PCI slot
- no 64-bit or Windows 7 support

Something like the HRT Music Streamer II seems perfect as my amp's volume knob is already within reach and it has a headphone output on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back