Renting Scammers
Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xiaoipower

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

As i'm about to head back to London for university I thought it was about time to start looking for some accomadation. Anyway, after a few emails to some deals that did look a bit 'too good to be true' I was amazed at the amount of scams listed on Craigslist. There seem to be an extraordinary amount of 'missionaries' that are about to leave the country soon (also leaving a very luxurious flat which they got how?) to do some 'crusading' in Nigeria and are renting it out? Anyone here know how they actually plan on taking your money, I'm guessing they demand cash for deposit and hightail it. Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

On a side note, if anyone knows of any good estate agents that operate in the South Kensington area or near Imperial College please let me know. Keep in mind that I'm a student so no Foxtons. Budget is probably around £150 a week.

cheers

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 10
I thought this thread was going to be about paying scammers a nominal fee to do some scamming on my behalf for a limited time.
confused.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought this thread was going to be about paying scammers a nominal fee to do some scamming on my behalf for a limited time.
confused.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Yeah... what a disappointment.

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 10
The scammers are everywhere. Beware!

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 10
I just wish there was a way to get back at these scammers. Sometimes i reply to these bogus adds just to see the creative scams they have going.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that I'm a student so no Foxtons. Budget is probably around £150 a week.

Thats a lot of rent for a student!!!

~Phewl.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 10
If you are studying at IC, you may want to consider looking for accommodation at and around the Hammersmith/Shepherds Bush area. They're both within 20 mins by bus from IC and is far cheaper than South Ken
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 10
for 150 pounds, there is no way you are going to get a place to live, especially if you want to live alone. even with friends, you will need a bigger budget. my sis (goes to LSE) was looking around for one for her second year, but it was just too expensive. she is staying home.
frown.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 10
I totally agree, especially where the OP wants to stay. West London has some of the most expensive properties in the whole of the UK, average price in the borough of Kensington & Chelsea is around £1.0M, this is against the average price for the UK of £180K
frown.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 10
thanks for the errghh encouragement... ^^

actually last year got a place in albert hall mansions for around 130 with some friends. unfortunately they were on 3 year courses so have to look for a place again this year. having done some more research now, yea I agree I won't find anything local at that budget. will probably go looking in Fulham/Bayswater/Hammersmith/West Kensington.

heck maybe I'll just join the crusades in Nigeria, they seem to own some exquisite property here, must pay well ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back