Regular Amps with good Headphone out
May 25, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #16 of 22
I am very pleased with my Cary SLI-80 and either the Grado SR-60 or SR-325i(even nicer with the 325i). This combination sounds very much like my speakers but with the extra detail the quiet of 'phones provide. That headphone jack was a really unexpected plus and opened up a wonderful new listening experience for me.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own an NAD C350 and it is definitely serviceable. I also have a McIntosh MA6900 on order. When I wrote to McIntosh, the head tech over there said that the heaphone circuit DOES NOT share the output of the main power amp. He said that there was a small "OP Amp" that was "compatible with most headphones" but "not as good as most of the better outboard headphone amps".

McIntosh also had no specs of any kind for the headphone amp/jack...that ought to tell you something about how much thought they put into it.

I own a MA6900 and am VERY dissapointed with the quality of the headphone out, the binding posts and the cheaparse plastic remote... at $4,000+ Retail, you'd think they'd at least do the headphone section right and mount some WBT's out back....

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Portal Panache is an excellent integrated amp and headphone amp. The headphone output is directly run off the speaker outputs.

panache_front_right2_lg.jpg

FWIW I am quite happy with mine for both speakers and headphones including the K1000. It got me out of the upgrade cycle.

Read more here.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 22
I'm using my rotel rc-1070 pre amp and getting good results with rcd-1072.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 22
My Marantz CD6000 OSE has an excellent headphone output. Maybe the bass is lacking a little in control, but otherwise it is detailed, airy and with a good soundstage.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 22
the Cary 300SEI is often said to have a very good headphone out. see below from stereophile.

Quote:

The front panel is also home to a ¼" headphone jack, which is activated by a small pushbutton on the top plate. This selects between the headphone output and the Music Post loudspeaker output terminals. When listening to the 300SEI through headphones, you're hearing the entire amplifier right off the output transformers—no op-amp circuits to drive the headphones here. Switching between loudspeakers and headphones is accomplished by a gold-plated 10A relay.

img_B8759.jpg

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any regular amplifiers with good headphone out?

Cary SLI-80! An EXCELLENT headphone output from an integrated that puts out 80W/ch pentode or 40W/ch triode to the speakers. Some upgrade paths available thru Upscale Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back