regarding the ER-4: where to go from here?
May 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ubercaffeinated

100+ Head-Fier

I love the ER-4. I've put in close to a hundred hours on this set up post burn in, and I am hooked.

Now, I am wondering if there is any way for me to take it a step further and get more out of it.

This is my current set up:

-ER-4P with E4P-24 cable (OEM P to S convertor) with Comply tips

-JDS Labs CmoyBB v2.03

-Fiio L3 LOD

I'm listening to it out of an 32 gig iPhone 4 with all ALAC files.

What can I upgrade to improve my sound/listening experience? 

Should I be considering custom tips? I'm liking the Comply tips because of the isolation and comfort they provide. I don't get that stuffy ear/pressure pain feeling, which I can't stand. 

As for the amp, I'm probably going to get something higher tier (looking at the new upcoming JDS Labs amp amongst other), but even with that my understanding is that the difference will be negligible. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

May 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Personally, I consider the new RE0 version a great alternative to ER4 with similar bass and mids, but better treble, a much lower price tag and a shallower, easier and more comfortable fit. JVC FX700 is a good alternative if you want similar detail levels, but bigger punchier bass. You will sacrifice a lot of isolation with FX700 though, since they are open back design. Ortofon e-Q5 is also a good alternative with a warmer sound, more bass and low midrange presence, similar clarity, fuller sound and better dynamics in exchange for slightly less speed and clarity.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't read your post carefully. Well, I heard MiniBox amps pair particularly well with ER4 since they were designed around this IEM. I can confirm that at least the ER6i sounds amazing out of MiniBox E+ and a huge improvement over unamped sources for this IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back