Rega P3 Cartridge Recommendations
Jul 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently running a P3-24, and I want a bit of diversity in my cartridges. So, to all you P3 owners, what carts have you had success with; what are their various strengths/weaknesses; what is the ceiling as far as carts go for this turntable; what's good and cheap; what works best for specific genres; MM, MI or MC; comparisons with other carts; etc.? Add any and all comments below and I'll compile them into a unified reference in this first post once we get a few.

Maybe this can become a comprehensive reference for all P3 owners over time.

I'll get the ball rolling -- short and sweet:

Ortofon 2M Bronze
Moving Magnet, $389.00
A modern, detailed cartridge that is more analytical than musical. Rather forward sounding with a fair bit of treble energy (not harsh, but brightly lit), so it's probably best matched with warmer sounding gear. Competent, but not the most engaging midrange. Bass is tight without over-emphasis.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rega rb900 - need not look elsewhere. next step would be upgrading the phono stage.

Um, that's a tonearm. This is a cartridge reference thread, specifically for use on a Rega P3/P3-24 in stock form (RB300/RB301 tonearm).

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 5
MM: Goldring 1006-1042, depends on the budget
MI: The Cartridgeman Music Maker III, quite expensive, but very nice!
MC: Denon DL-103/R, Benz MC-20E (HO), Benz ACE L2; Denon is very dynamic but needs some careful setup at the phono stage - maybe a stepup. The MC-20E can be connected to MM.

Do you have the RB300 (on nut at the arm base) or RB301 (three screws to be fixed in the plinth)?

Cheers,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back