Rega Ear Headphone amp - questions?
Dec 1, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 20
Cool! I hope you like it.

Michael

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 20
Sorry guys, I am a bit lost with my Rega Ear. Let me explain.
1. I tried the Ear on a laptop or macbook, because this is the place I use my headphones. I connected the input Ear to the headphone laptop port, and then connected my headphone to the headphone socket of the Ear in front. Connecting from input or link to the laptop made no difference.
But also, other than rollong the Ear knob, the sound was no different with or without the Ear.
So, what is the advantage of the Ear.

2. I looked at the connectivity scenarios in the little manual for a hifi. I use a preamp, an amp, and the Rega dac.
What in fact is the objective of their scenarios ? On top, for instance method 3, connect the input to the preamp ourput sockets. Imo there is only one input on the Ear and can only connect to one output socket. What output socket do they mean ?. Then connect the link to the amp input sockets. Same remarks and questions.
And for what purpose.

I thpught the Ear was also capable of an extra signal boost besides headphone listening, which I normally do not do on my hifi.
I popped fhe headphones in the Ear and the input cable in the headphone socket of the preamp. Of course it was a powerful sound.

And in terms of connectivity what with the Rega dac I use.

To summarize.
I am disappointed the laptop is not properly amplified.
Second, the manual in terms of connectivities is unclear, and does not indicate the gains of these interconnections.
Third. Where to go with my Dac ?

I put it on sale as I do not see the benefits and extra functions on a hifi. It is not a Dac I know, but I cannot get a grip on their explanations.

All advise welcome. I have bsically 2 digital inputs in the Dac, a cd player, and a laptop usb connected in fhe Dac, and an analogue turntable.

I only start here, so give me a break guys.

Ignace.
Greetings from Belgium

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 20
I own that one too. The voltage the laptop or macbook delivers on its headphone jack is way to low to get amplified. It won't work. It even will hardly work with headphone jacks in a current mp3 player. The DAC you use whatever brand it is, just connect its RCA outputs L/R to the inputs in your Rega Ear. This is how your Rega Ear is supposed to work with.

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 20
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
The DACs I mentioned all are installed in a HIFI architecture. On the macbook I do not have a DAC yet.
In fact I use the EAR on a Windows 7 DELL 5000 laptop, with a realtek sound card.
So now I branch a jack 3.5 in the DELL and the other end L/R in the input of the Ear.
Headphone is branched in the front socket of the Ear.
If I follow you correctly, this is still not enough to get results.
You mean, the laptop needs an extra external DAC to connect with the EAR, before going to the DELL.
I still have a DAC, but he goes in repair. If that works well, I could use this one.

So then you say that the DAC L/R goes to the input L/R of the Ear. 
Now, where do we place the output jack from the Dell. Clearly, this one needs to go to the DAC, no ? The sound coming out of the DELL needs amplification by the DAC.
And then the headphone on the front socket of the EAR.
Correct or not ?
But which cable has a 3.5 jack and a coax or spdif/optical on the other end ?
DAC inputs are all digital. Or I have to use the USB and go to a USB input on the DAC, given he has one.
The laptop will need to change routings of the sound towards the DAC. 
Mac automatically recognizes this. I do not exactly know how to tell the win7 to use the DAC as sound card .
Does this exist. Presumably it does.

Ignace

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 20
Every computer/notebook has a DAC inside, otherwise you couldn't reproduce mp3 -which is digital- and receive your output on headphone jack -which is analog signal. Those are commonly weak built, exceptions may exist.

The DAC you want to connect with your computer would be an option. I dont know if your system has a digital audio output in place to feed into the DAC (aka SPDIF), some computers do have, normally you wont find them. But you may connect your DAC via the USB. Then connect the analog signal output in your DAC, commonly known RCA l/r, to the Rega Ear input. You may then connect the Rega Output to the input in your Hifi amplifier to obtain here the signal as well and simultaneously hear the Rega/Headphone and the speakers (at your Hifi amplifier).

By using an external DAC (USB driven or whatever) you don't necessarily need any longer the headphone jack on your laptop computer. The sound gets from the computer to the DAC and then right away to the Rega Ear. And here to the headphone and if you want to your other equipment as well, as I mentioned, via Rega Ear Outputs. Some headphone amplifier do not have an output option.

Yes, in case you connect an external DAC (usb or whatever) you will need to adjust Windows to operate what option you want to hear. You find these setting on System, Audio Hardware or so, this is then quite easy ......

I hope I could help you out.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back