refurbed 1G shuffle problem
Mar 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently received my Woot refurbed 1G shuffle. I used Media Monkey to sync it yesterday and today I ran the battery dead. Now it won't "mount" and iTunes is unable to restore it. The shuffle shows in My Computer(Windows XP) but it shows some type of error...my intention was to format it in hopes of a quick fix but I'm unable to do anything.

I've been searching for a fix and did find a restore but it's only for Mac OS. Is there one for Windows too?

This is what I found as an example where it describes what seems to be my problem:

On a Windows PC, iPod shuffle will appear in My Computer as a “Removable Disk,” however the iPod shuffle volume will not mount correctly. The unit is listed in Device Manager under “Disk Drives” as “Apple iPod USB Device.”

Apple iPod shuffle Reset 1.0.1 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 7
recharge the battery fully. Most recognition of players gets wonky when the battery gets too low. I believe it will still charge via usb even if your computer does not recognize the device properly.

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recharge the battery fully. Most recognition of players gets wonky when the battery gets too low. I believe it will still charge via usb even if your computer does not recognize the device properly.

That's what I'm doing now but the light is flashing amber instead of solid...my 2g shuffle works differently I think. I'll give it a couple hours.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 7
When it flashes amber that means not to disconnect, when it's solid it means it's ready to go. Try going into windows and doing a disk repair or a format, and then try. Also, since you can see it in device manage/windows, check to show unhidden folder in properties and see if you can find something out about what might be causing the problem. If all else fails, try to reinstall iTunes.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 7
I believe it has enough battery power now after 3 hours but it can't be recognized properly.

It shows as portable Audio Player ( G: ) But if I try to Open it, etc. an error message appears:

G:\ is not accessible
the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I don't see how reinstalling iTunes would help, Media Monkey won't work either.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Oh, well where did you get the refurb from, if it's from apple, than they should replace it. The only other thing I could think of maybe is ebaying it and buying a clip
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back