Reference Quality Chopin?
Jul 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a reference quality recording for my S.O. I think she likes the Nocturnes, Etudes, and Sonitinas - anything that really conveys they sound of the Piano would be appreciated.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 28
Refrerence quality in terms of audio or performance? If performance, I've yet to find a complete set better than Ohlsson (I link to Amazon.FR because they have, by far, the best price I found). The audio is good as well, and the fact that Ohlsson uses a Bösendorfer may seal the deal.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 28
For sound I'll make one more suggestion of Sudbin on BIS. I really wish BIS and Pentatone would release more Chopin... maybe others can be more helpful on that front, but I haven't heard a lot of reference-audio quality Chopin recordings.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 28
Present her with 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Mari Kodama from HDTracks.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
Quote:
Present her with 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Mari Kodama from HDTracks.

Thanks. I'm sampling it now. I think I would like something more focused on the solo pianist rather than an Orchestra piece.

Hopefully, they'll have some for her (Kodama) in the catalog...

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 28
Rubinstein owns Chopin as far as I'm concerned. He didn't do all of the etudes, I don't think but he did most everything else. His nocturnes have never been bettered. There is a great RCA box set of all of his Living Stereo Chopin recordings. Sound doesn't get better than that.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 28
If a DVD interests you, Rubinstein performed in Moscow in 1961. They televised it in primitive B&W with just two cameras, but it is the most poweful and amazing live piano concert ever captured. Rubinstein is in his 70s, but he plays at a white heat. I got this DVD a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop watching it. He is like superman.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Archive-Rubinstein-Legendary-Recital/dp/B001IMFHVG/

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
If a DVD interests you, Rubinstein performed in Moscow in 1961. They televised it in primitive B&W with just two cameras, but it is the most poweful and amazing live piano concert ever captured. Rubinstein is in his 70s, but he plays at a white heat. I got this DVD a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop watching it. He is like superman.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Archive-Rubinstein-Legendary-Recital/dp/B001IMFHVG/

Thanks for the contribution. You just expanded my horizons. Will seek the first of August.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 28
I added it to my netflix, I'll give it a watch. Are any of the other Rubinstein DVD's worth checking out?

The two DGG DVDs are great too. Rubinstein may have been the greatest pianist who ever lived. He didn't have a huge repetoire, but what he did, he did perfectly. Especially Chopin. I bought the box set of his complete recordings. It had a documentary on his life made by his son. I can't tell you how astounded I am at what he accomplished. I hope I'm as vital and alive in my older years as he was.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 28
You might also take a look at Alexandre Tharaud's Valses on CD.  Wonderful in both sound and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back