reducing the bass on the Sennheiser HD650?
Feb 1, 2007 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
I'd never thought that I'd say this but my HD650 has a little too much bass. I've heard that defoaming it will reduce the bass a little bit. I really like the mids and the high presentation and I don't want that to be effected. Is there a mod where I can reduce the bass and keep the mids and the highs the same? After all I got them for their smooth highs
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to try EQ-ing them

You mean turn the knob that says BASS counterclockwise?
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 41
just EQ until you have it at a level you like- keep everything at -0db, and lower the bass by 2db at first. then keep experimenting!

it won't affect the other frequencies at all.. most mods affect the treble and mids more than bass.

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd never thought that I'd say this but my HD650 has a little too much bass.

I never thought anybody wouldn't say that.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 41
yeah I wanna try to avoid eq'ing if at all possible I'm also playing them with the HD600 cables, would that play any part in the bass dept? My next step is to replace the foam with pantyhose, then I'll report back.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't understand why you would avoid EQing- with a good one there won't be any quality reduction. and it won't effect the other frequencies at all...

That is absolute nonsense. Any component added to the chain dilutes the sound, and any EQ'ing to one frequency affects the other frequencies.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is absolute nonsense. Any component added to the chain dilutes the sound, and any EQ'ing to one frequency affects the other frequencies.

True, but think about how many things the signal goes through in a studio BEFORE being recorded :wink:

Thats a daisy chain of diluted sound you listening to on a cd?

I mean the CD or vinyl sounds different than what came out of the monitor speakers during recording anyhow.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 41
HD600 reduced the HD650 bass to a more accurate level.
600smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 reduced the HD650 bass to a more accurate level.
600smile.gif

Haha I knew the HD600 was comming sooner or later, however, I found it to have too little bass. Right now, I'm listening to the headphone with no foam, it has reduced the bass, but sound weired, like a smeared image or something with slightly splashy highs, I guess pantyhose is next for my 650s, I'll report back on the difference.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 41
removing foam might help. I tried defoaming the 650 when I first got it just to see what it did. Didn't like it at all: people said it would make it brighter....but it really just takes out some of the bass. Which on my setup is not good at all, because it's just like candy the way it is. So the foam went back on for me.

Getting the HD580 would be the cheapest thing to do if you want less bass (though it has just the slightest more upper mids).

If you want to keep the 650 and do something with the source: make sure it has good resolution. What's probably going on is that it's not getting enough detail (be it a new source or amp that gives it more juice)

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ev13wt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but think about how many things the signal goes through in a studio BEFORE being recorded :wink:

Thats a daisy chain of diluted sound you listening to on a cd?

I mean the CD or vinyl sounds different than what came out of the monitor speakers during recording anyhow.

I am well aware of this. He said there'd be no reduction in sound quality. There certainly would be. I owned a ADC Sound Shaper EQ for years and sold it after I went nuts chasing my tail and ruining my sound.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am well aware of this. He said there'd be no reduction in sound quality. There certainly would be. I owned a ADC Sound Shaper EQ for years and sold it after I went nuts chasing my tail and ruining my sound.

Not all EQs are created equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back