Recs on full-size, open headphones that do not require amp?
May 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audiodane

New Head-Fier
I was looking for a pair of used Philips Fidelio L1, then Tyll recommended me towards some Senn HD600's .. But even the HD600's still require an outboard amp (it seems, based on limited reading)..

I'm looking for full-size (don't like on-ear), open headphones for the office..  Recommendations on what to look for used, scratched, and dented is appreciated (lower cost) as I'm not too concerned with how they look when I'm just sitting in my office working..   But I mainly would rather avoid an amp, unless someone has a good amp recommendation in the ultra-cheap range ($20-30?).  I'm already pushing my budgetary limits on some headphones!

Realistically I've been lightly looking for a year now, and I could even stand to wait another year.  Price is very important!

thanks all,
..dane

May 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd call the fidelio range on ear, in no way can they be deemed over ear with pads that will only fit over the smallest of ears.
What is your budget ? maybe look at the superlux open range.

May 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow, did y'all start replying before I submitted the new thread??  Those were fast replies!

Quote:
  You don't require an amp for those headphones.  People use elaborate amps to get the last bit of sound refinement from their headphones, not to get satisfactory volume out of them.

Ah!  That makes me feel a lot better.  Thanks for that feedback.

I'd call the fidelio range on ear, in no way can they be deemed over ear with pads that will only fit over the smallest of ears.

Yes, that seems to fit with some reviews that I have read..

HD600 a good pick, then?  Anything comparable but less expensive used?

thanks,
..dane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back