Recording Vinyl...adding a headphone amp to the signal chain.
Aug 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Neosashi

New Head-Fier
I'm about to start recording some vinyl into my DAW. I want to record some samples from my collection of vinyl to use for music production. I bought the J33 phone preamp and that is supposed to apply RIA and from what I've heard, warm up the sound. (I haven't gotten it in the mail yet.) Suppose I wanted to warm up the sound even more. I just recieved a Little Dot I+ hybrid in the mail and the thought occurred to me....what if I ran the outs of the J33 into the Little Dot and then, instead of plugging in the headphones and chilling out, running the Little Dot into my audio interface. Just out of speculation, would adding the Little Dot into the signal chain have a chance of improving the sound? 

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Depends on how you define "improving".

The best practice though is to keep it simple and unaltered. Use the phono preamp as intended and record the signal as pure as possible. When producing, you can apply whatever effects you want afterwards. Remember, it's always easier to add something in than take it out. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 4
The J33 has 3 different outputs, so in the spirit of keeping things to their minimum, you can route one of them to the LD for direct vinyl listening, while routing another output to your speakers or receiver or whatever. And you still have yet another output you can route to your computer for vinyl rips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back