Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,291 of 1,817
The other big factor was keeping the depth in each ear as similar to each other as possible, while still being deep enough to capture a goal d EQ profile for localization. Removing the silicone housing made getting increased depth possible, everything before that was decent but not great.
Right now the deepest I can get the mics is just about flush with the ear canal entrance, or maybe 1mm in. The casing makes it too tight to go beyond that. Do you think that a deeper insertion would benefit in this case? Also, what was your impression of the Masters vs non-masters series mics? I am using the Masters series Sound Professionals mic but I may try the non masters one in the future to remove the casing if it also works well.

Finally, the last piece of the equation I've been considering is the headphone itself. I have a Grado style on-ear and Sennheiser HD595 around ear. At first I figured that minimizing pinna activation from the headphone itself would make the headphone compensation more accurate because it wold be one less thing to compensate for. In this regard an IEM would be ideal but since you cant use them with mics for FR compensation, on-ear would be the next best thing. But after experimenting with my two headphones, it seems that the HD595s are much more accurate for reproducing HRIR than the Grado. I am tempted to try the Hifiman Ananda or HD800 as those have been tested by Rtings to have the best virtual soundstage.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,292 of 1,817
Here's the foam backs, and placement I used for my measurements. I didn't intentionally try different placements.
Here are my mics. With the foam cups, I get about the same placement as lowdown. Without the foam, I can get as least a flush mount. I'll be trying out both. Looks like I have a bit or experimentation to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4183[14936].jpg
    IMG_4183[14936].jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #1,293 of 1,817
Here are my mics. With the foam cups, I get about the same placement as lowdown. Without the foam, I can get as least a flush mount. I'll be trying out both. Looks like I have a bit or experimentation to do.
i'm waiting for the master series to arrive, let me know if you get better results with or without the foam, or if there's no difference... if i'd a chance, i would avoid glueing the mic with the foam, i'd prefer only cutting the wing and do the measurements directly

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #1,294 of 1,817
Right now the deepest I can get the mics is just about flush with the ear canal entrance, or maybe 1mm in. The casing makes it too tight to go beyond that. Do you think that a deeper insertion would benefit in this case? Also, what was your impression of the Masters vs non-masters series mics? I am using the Masters series Sound Professionals mic but I may try the non masters one in the future to remove the casing if it also works well.

Finally, the last piece of the equation I've been considering is the headphone itself. I have a Grado style on-ear and Sennheiser HD595 around ear. At first I figured that minimizing pinna activation from the headphone itself would make the headphone compensation more accurate because it wold be one less thing to compensate for. In this regard an IEM would be ideal but since you cant use them with mics for FR compensation, on-ear would be the next best thing. But after experimenting with my two headphones, it seems that the HD595s are much more accurate for reproducing HRIR than the Grado. I am tempted to try the Hifiman Ananda or HD800 as those have been tested by Rtings to have the best virtual soundstage.

Removing the housing and getting a deeper insertion made for THE most significant improvements in my results.

Master vs. Non-Master mics: honestly, I didn't really notice much of a difference and I've had great results with both of them.

I use Anadas and love them. The results that I've gotten with Impulcifer are MUCH better with my Anadas compared to the rest of my collection, which includes the DT1990, HD6XX, ATH-R70X, and DT770 (250ohms). The HRIRs with my Anandas are more convincing and clearer, better localization too. I'm not sure if that's due to the greater detail that the Anandas can provide in general or due to the fact that the Anandas don't press down on the outer ear at all while all of the rest do. Either way, I highly recommend the Anandas - they are an amazing value.

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,295 of 1,817
Glad to know the Ananda's work well. The results I am getting on the HD595 are adequate but I am sure they could also be better. Rtings did some comprehensive testing on how well headphones produce a soundstage by comparing the pinna response with the headphone to the pinna response of a loudspeaker as a reference. The HD800's response was most similar to that of the loudspeaker, with the Ananda not far behind.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,296 of 1,817
Glad to know the Ananda's work well. The results I am getting on the HD595 are adequate but I am sure they could also be better. Rtings did some comprehensive testing on how well headphones produce a soundstage by comparing the pinna response with the headphone to the pinna response of a loudspeaker as a reference. The HD800's response was most similar to that of the loudspeaker, with the Ananda not far behind.
Rtings for that parameter, sort of looks for a headphone that will add some of what's missing in typical stereo played on headphones, and how close the result is to some statistical human HRTF, and their own subjective impressions. It's objectivity turned into cuisine. I don't blame them, at least they try to get some references and get the ball rolling, I actually like them and their various approaches a lot, but I also wouldn't go as far as calling what they do for this particular criterium, scientific.

Anyway, here you're looking for a headphone that can disappear once its signature has been "cancelled" by the filter. I would strongly suggest not to think of those as describing the same headphone attributes because they're not. For example, in this thread, we couldn't care less if the frequency response of the headphone is close to some HRTF model or if the left and right ears are well matched.
low disto, well extended and smooth FR, big driver, those are likely to describe headphones giving you the best results for speaker simulation. There will be some more subjective stuff at play for some or most people, like weight, how much they isolate from outside(in our case, isolation is bad somehow). But ultimately, chances are that an objectively good headphone is good for speaker simulation. As simple as that.

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #1,297 of 1,817
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #1,298 of 1,817
guys i bought the master series but i didn't know was a single stereo jack so i can't work with the behringer
1651139918732.jpg

I bought this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07CZXT9GR?smid=A2SBSMJWADKVNX&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1 like @jaakkopasanen suggested, my only concern is that the splitter is TRS female to TRS male, hopefilly this doesn't get any problem... even the primo have TRS jack so i think the behringer should work as well
Looks like you bought different adapter cable. This is linked to the wiki and am using myself https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0785VKZW4

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,300 of 1,817
i saw comments under your link that they got TRS males, so i figured that you were using them too, so do you confirm that your jacks are mono? i will see tomorrow if they work
My male jacks are mono, TS

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,302 of 1,817
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #1,303 of 1,817
You'll have plenty of cable for long distance measurements, that's for sure. :dt880smile:
i hate so much using adapters, i would prefer using some reliable solution like jakko posted but the timeline is very important for me, 2 months for a cable is too much and i'm controlling some music stores, this is indeed a very rare splitter, i found many female TRS 3.5mm to male 2xTS 6.3mm, sadly no 3.5 to 3.5, only male to male

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,304 of 1,817
i hate so much using adapters, i would prefer using some reliable solution like jakko posted but the timeline is very important for me, 2 months for a cable is too much and i'm controlling some music stores, this is indeed a very rare splitter, i found many female TRS 3.5mm to male 2xTS 6.3mm, sadly no 3.5 to 3.5, only male to male
Oh I don't blame you, I'd not bother waiting for June to get the single adapter cable either! I don't think it'll hurt your results though, it likely won't be THAT long. Looking forward to hearing updates on your progress!

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,305 of 1,817
Quick question, I'm trying new ways of getting a better result from my best measurement. Channel balance mid is helping but wanted more clarification on room measurement. I have room-BL-left, room-BL-Right, room-BR-left etc. Do I need to have a command when processing to have these "room".wav files included or does Impulcifer process everything together? Not sure If I should be using commands such as --fr_combination_method=average and --fr_combination_method=conservative. My room measurements were done for each ear for each speaker position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back