Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 21, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,261 of 1,817
The PC does the HRIR process, and then sends that to the USB input on your DAC. So the digital outputs would not help because they would presumably be outputting the processed digital signals, and you would also need another DAC to convert that to analog for listening. If you set up a splitter to the line output, you would have to choose between splitting either a HRIR processed signal or unprocessed signal into two identical split outputs. Ideally you want an unprocessed output for the transducer because the headphone compensation would surely skew the frequency response. Alternatively you could output unprocessed signal but you wont get HRIR headphone output.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,262 of 1,817
The PC does the HRIR process, and then sends that to the USB input on your DAC. So the digital outputs would not help because they would presumably be outputting the processed digital signals, and you would also need another DAC to convert that to analog for listening. If you set up a splitter to the line output, you would have to choose between splitting either a HRIR processed signal or unprocessed signal into two identical split outputs. Ideally you want an unprocessed output for the transducer because the headphone compensation would surely skew the frequency response. Alternatively you could output unprocessed signal but you wont get HRIR headphone output.
You said voicemeeter banana works in outputting the unprocessed audio and what about the delay?

Due to trasducers being very small compared to a sub, i would like to try them asap, also i have open back headphones so would be the greatest choice

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,263 of 1,817
You said voicemeeter banana works in outputting the unprocessed audio and what about the delay?

Due to trasducers being very small compared to a sub, i would like to try them asap, also i have open back headphones so would be the greatest choice
Voicemeeter banana allows you to specify two different audio devices on your PC to output to. I have not noticed any delay, or if there is a delay then both outputs must be delayed equally because it still sounds synchronized.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #1,264 of 1,817
Voicemeeter banana allows you to specify two different audio devices on your PC to output to. I have not noticed any delay, or if there is a delay then both outputs must be delayed equally because it still sounds synchronized.
mhm, i would like to keep using hi fi cable to process my hrir while outputting the trasducers with banana

Maybe hi fi cable or vbcable have the some hidden settings for that, or ks

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #1,265 of 1,817
Very interesting indeed, if i 'm not mistaken i think smyht realiser A16 comes with this option and the recommanded device is earthquake mbq-1. Since the beginning, my aim is to do like A16 (but only in 7.1) , i have an emu1820 with several output, and with asio and patchmix i'm pretty sure you can do that. But first i have to make impulcifer it work well and give good virtualization with a regular sound card.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,266 of 1,817
Very interesting indeed, if i 'm not mistaken i think smyht realiser A16 comes with this option and the recommanded device is earthquake mbq-1. Since the beginning, my aim is to do like A16 (but only in 7.1) , i have an emu1820m with several output, and with asio i'm pretty sure you can do that. But first i have to make impulcifer it work well and give good virtualization with a regular sound card.
The earthquake? seems very tiny... would that be enough? 300W of power tho is very much despite its size

anyway let us know if you achieve a proper method

EDIT: people say the earthquake vibration is weak, i think the best endgame is pairing both trasducer and subwoofer to cover all the frequencies and boost the lows

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,267 of 1,817
By the way, I gave Hi-fi ASIO Bridge Virtual Cable a try and it works very well on my system. The latency is FAAAR better than using the "listen to this device" feature built into Windows
Wait, is it possible to use a windows pc/ notebook as an convolver hooked up to the external audiosource?
The latency with eq-apo + "listen to this device" was too tremendous, but afaik asio should have better latency in general.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,269 of 1,817
Sadly Asio4all routes all the devices as if they are the hi fi cable input, so we are at the starting point, this means i get both headphones and speaker already convoluted in EqualizerAPO...

1650549835140.png

ALSO, a lot of distorsion, i don't know if is the headphones compensation or the buffer size, anyway that's not the main problem here

If there were a way to assign the asio channels in equalizerAPO would be done, we could assign only the two channels L-R of the headphone for the hesuvi convolution and let the other one bypass it

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #1,270 of 1,817
Turns out you can use voicemeeter for independent outputs and it is relatively straightforward, I dont know why I didnt try this before. You just run the EQ-APO configurator and if you have voicemeeter installed, it will show the 3 voicemeeter outputs as available sound devices. You just need to apply EQ-APO to only the output you want to use with convolution/EQ. I tried using HDMI out for the HRIR output and my integrated sound for normal output and it worked just as expected.

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,271 of 1,817
Turns out you can use voicemeeter for independent outputs and it is relatively straightforward, I dont know why I didnt try this before. You just run the EQ-APO configurator and if you have voicemeeter installed, it will show the 3 voicemeeter outputs as available sound devices. You just need to apply EQ-APO to only the output you want to use with convolution/EQ. I tried using HDMI out for the HRIR output and my integrated sound for normal output and it worked just as expected.
Great to hear! I'm going to look into buying a transducer this weekend, I think. I'm not wanting to spend as much as the Clark cost, not without first trying it out and seeing what the noise levels are like and if it annoys the girlfriend, but it sounds like a great way to get an extra layer of immersion that isn't there without it. It would also be a piece of cake to setup the routing for when I'm monitoring guitar through a DAW and might be a big benefit to that experience in particular.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,272 of 1,817
Great to hear! I'm going to look into buying a transducer this weekend, I think. I'm not wanting to spend as much as the Clark cost, not without first trying it out and seeing what the noise levels are like and if it annoys the girlfriend, but it sounds like a great way to get an extra layer of immersion that isn't there without it. It would also be a piece of cake to setup the routing for when I'm monitoring guitar through a DAW and might be a big benefit to that experience in particular.
Even a low cost transducer can add to the experience so keep us posted on your impressions. Great idea with using it with a guitar, I hadn't thought of that. Just be aware that many transducers are intended for a LFE channel and expect a low pass filter. Low E on a guitar is around 80 Hz which is around the cutoff of a low pass so you probably wouldnt get the entire range of the guitar. As far as noise, I'd say it sounds like a muffled speaker stuffed under the cushions (of course depending on what you set the gain).

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,273 of 1,817
Even a low cost transducer can add to the experience so keep us posted on your impressions. Great idea with using it with a guitar, I hadn't thought of that. Just be aware that many transducers are intended for a LFE channel and expect a low pass filter. Low E on a guitar is around 80 Hz which is around the cutoff of a low pass so you probably wouldnt get the entire range of the guitar. As far as noise, I'd say it sounds like a muffled speaker stuffed under the cushions (of course depending on what you set the gain).
80hz is a bit low, good point. I see that there's this Clark transducer that is low priced enough to not hurt the wallet much if I end up not liking it while also reaching a much higher frequency of 800hz, which seems like it'd be plenty high enough for what I want. I do have to do some more research on amplifiers to pair with it, as I don't have any that will provide the power that it needs. Any recommendations?

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #1,274 of 1,817
80hz is a bit low, good point. I see that there's this Clark transducer that is low priced enough to not hurt the wallet much if I end up not liking it while also reaching a much higher frequency of 800hz, which seems like it'd be plenty high enough for what I want. I do have to do some more research on amplifiers to pair with it, as I don't have any that will provide the power that it needs. Any recommendations?
That's the one I'm using-compared to other low cost transducers, I found that the Clark is lacking in low bass output. It only starts generating output above 30Hz but the tradeoff is that it goes up to 800Hz which I found to be a decent range for audio purposes. As for amps, any appropriate speaker amp will work and you only need one channel (for a single transducer). Alternatively you can use an old receiver, try cheap a class D amp or even get a subwoofer plate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back