Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,456 of 1,817
As far as i understand Impulicifer tries its best to emulate your speakers in their location relative to the listening position. And its kinda scary how close it is. My question is - is it possible to use the positioning/location info but ignore my speakers FR / sound signature?

I have a relatively high end headphone (Hifiman Susvara), and while my speakers are quite good (KEF LS50 Metas) - i would kind like to use my Susvaras tuning, but with the localization of my HT

Do i process without Headphone Compensation with the --no_headphone_compensation argument?

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #1,457 of 1,817
As far as i understand Impulicifer tries its best to emulate your speakers in their location relative to the listening position. And its kinda scary how close it is. My question is - is it possible to use the positioning/location info but ignore my speakers FR / sound signature?

I have a relatively high end headphone (Hifiman Susvara), and while my speakers are quite good (KEF LS50 Metas) - i would kind like to use my Susvaras tuning, but with the localization of my HT

Do i process without Headphone Compensation with the --no_headphone_compensation argument?
If you don't use headphone compensation, you're just adding together the FR of your headphones and the FR of your speakers. The result will sound like neither, most likely won't sound good at all.

If you use WebPlotDigitizer to plot an FR graph of the Susvara, you can place it with the other target responses in the impulcifer\data folder and it should work like the other default targets. Your HRIR would be EQed to match the target of the plotted Susvara when using the correct "--room_target"

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,458 of 1,817
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to @jaakkopasanen again. Went to the avatar imax viewing. Don’t usually go to the cinema much unless it’s a huge movie and got to witness the surround sound done by professionals, especially after having used my measured hrtf for a while. Besides the thumping bass I can honestly say my headphones with impulcifer sound better. There’s just more detail around me with distinct sounds. The theatre was quiet and I had good seats in the middle so was sitting in the ideal place.

Thanks again for this software. It truly is mind blowing amazing.

Btw awesome visuals in the movie, mediocre story but something else to watch in 3d

Dec 25, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,459 of 1,817
Don’t usually go to the cinema much unless it’s a huge movie and got to witness the surround sound done by professionals, especially after having used my measured hrtf for a while. Besides the thumping bass I can honestly say my headphones with impulcifer sound better. There’s just more detail around me with distinct sounds.

For Impulcifer measurements we have the speakers in perfect circle around us. This is not possible in a real listening environment. For me it is not really surprising that it can give us better sound.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,462 of 1,817
I'm struggling with the bass when watching movies. I want that punchy deep bass but adding a low shelf filter in EqApo and cranking it up to almost decent is causing clipping. Is there something else I can do to get deeper bass. I know it may not be possible to replicate true bass on a pair of headphone's but asking incase there's something I don't know

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,463 of 1,817
I'm struggling with the bass when watching movies. I want that punchy deep bass but adding a low shelf filter in EqApo and cranking it up to almost decent is causing clipping. Is there something else I can do to get deeper bass. I know it may not be possible to replicate true bass on a pair of headphone's but asking incase there's something I don't know

Untitled.png
Lower everything but the part you want boosted with the EQ then turn up the amplifier and not some digital gain. 0dB is full scale and above it is lost. It's the max a signal should ever reach(and if we consider the portions of sines between samples, it could be a good idea to leave an extra 1 or 3dB of headroom).
Your picture says low shelf with a negative gain??? I would use negative gain and a high shelf filter(again to digitally reduce everything but the bass so you don't add more clipped parts).

Or get a shaker, or use an actual subwoofer(wiring might be more or less annoying). I tried an actual woofer and it's amazing IMO, too bad I have humanoid life forms nearby that aren't nearly as thrilled as I am about about a woofer shaking the house while I watch something on my own with a headphone.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #1,464 of 1,817

Untitled.png
Your gains seem inverse. Make the preamp negative and the low shelf positive.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,466 of 1,817
When I turn down the pre amp it’s too low of a volume even with the media player at 100% and windows at 100%. Will a DAC help in this situation to give clear bass and clarity on other frequencies as well as more volume?

If so which DAC is good for a decent price?

My headphones are HD560s

I’ve tried increasing the lfe channel but not enough bass. And having to buy a subwoofer and neighbours won’t work in my situation.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,467 of 1,817
When I turn down the pre amp it’s too low of a volume even with the media player at 100% and windows at 100%. Will a DAC help in this situation to give clear bass and clarity on other frequencies as well as more volume?

My headphones are HD560s

I’ve tried increasing the lfe channel but not enough bass. And having to buy a subwoofer and neighbours won’t work in my situation.
If you have maxed out your digital volume controls and the volume is not enough then you need a headphone amplifier

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,468 of 1,817

It's a more powerful amp that you need then. Boosting anywhere digitally(on the computer) will get you the same clipping issues when the signals passes above 0dB.

That's really a general rule of EQing. all you do with digital EQ, you need to compensate with gain to avoid pushing the signal above 0dB and then you use an amplifier to compensate by how much you've had to reduce the digital gain and simply give you the listening level you desired. That should be done at the analog level.

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,470 of 1,817
Headphone amplifier it is then. Any recommendations?

There are option’s that have both DAC and Amp in one are they any good or standalone amp best for me?

I’m looking at the fiio k5 pro
fiio k5 pro is a good start, i also bought that first having dac+amp combo and a cheap price but don't expect awesome changes in audio quality tho, for that i had the best results when i switched to the jds amp

also is a matter of tastes, i had only "neutral" amps, they're great but lacks of something called "joy" when listening to music, i'm still thinking that my a90d+660s is not enough lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back