Reconfiguring my rig - Random updates on the journey
Jul 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #46 of 222
Quote:

In the near future you may find your self very surprised. I'll be the guinea pig fist though and then will give you the go-ahead since we both seem to be real sensitive to hiss :p. If I can hear hiss I'm generally not a happy camper myself. I love a black-background after being spoiled :).

Oh now that is just plain mean!  A hinted promise of what I'm looking for, and no further details, and no release date!  Keep me posted, give up what details you can, either here or via PM.  Or just keep me hanging - your call!

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #47 of 222
Quote:
I sold my DacPort.  Not that I wanted to part with it, I just never seem to have time to set up my laptop rig and listen, so off it went.  The funds offset my new Sony PCM-M10 digital recorder.  While it does play AAC, WAV, MP3 files, it isn't the best quality for a playback device.  What it does well, is record WAV files at up to 24 bit, 96Khz stereo on the nice onboard omni mics, as well as with external mics.  I thought I'd branch out into recording my daughter's school programs and the odd acoustic show or street band.

I also picked up a used pair of Audio Technica AT853 cardioid mics,  I see a pair of Soundman Binaural in - ear omni mics coming soon.

i also plan to run line out into my Pico Slim to see if the Sony PCM-M0's mediocre playback is due to the onboard amp, just for fun.

Just an update - I have run the PCM-M10 line out into a Headamp Pico Slim, into my 1964Ears Quads and into the Beyer DT1350's.  Very nice, gets rid of the amp hiss into my Quads.  It is on par with line out from a 4th gen iPod Touch, at least to my ears.  This makes it a nice player option.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #48 of 222
I'm currently being spoiled by a pair of Hyrbid Custom IEMs in universal form (paired with DX100 and UHA 6 MKII). The company is not live yet but it is the best sounding IEMs IMO so far. The presentation is like full size headphones with very good and deep bass. Reminds me of IE8/IE80 but spot on detail of BA.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #49 of 222
I sold my DacPort because I rarely listened to my laptop rig, and to generate some cash.  I think I netted $310 or something.  Now, I miss my laptop rig, as all my lossless music lives there (and on the server in our office).  Now I feel an Apogee Duet 2 coming soon.  There goes the cash I generated, plus another $125 at least.  Damn I'm fickle.  Or maybe just a gear person.  Anyway, I had the original firewire duet a couple of years ago, and really liked it.  I'm afraid "here we go again" is coming up soon.

The Duet 2 is not as frequently discussed here as the Duet firewire version was a few years back - the original Duet was a bit of a cult classic here.  I am real interested to see how the new Duet 2 fares as a dac/amp, as well as for my very occasional recording efforts.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #52 of 222
Well Jack is releasing the Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition. This unit is suppose to address the hiss issues with the Studio V. I'll fill you in on my findings once I've received my unit. If they miraculously solved hiss problem then this would be "the player" IMO. You think the Rocoo BA was good (from a sound quality standpoint, the studio is on a whole different level :)....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621204/trade-for-the-perfect-player-in-the-world-hisound-s-studio-3rd-anniversary-edition#post_8607404

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #53 of 222
If the new Studio V 3rd edition equals or bests my Touch 4th / Pico Slim combo, and doesn't hiss with my Quads, I'd be in, even with the clunky UI.

I've been using a Sony PCM-M10 (digital recorder with DAP capability) with my Pico Slim on occasion, and it is a very decent combo. - I really just want a usable one component soluition.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #54 of 222
Well my unit was shipped out to me on the 11th so hopefully I'll have it later this week. I'll keep you posted.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #56 of 222
Quote:
My Duet 2 just arrived from Currawong (4 -5 days from Japan - quick!) - I can hardly wait to try it out!

Enjoying my Studio V as we speak. Sadly it will have to go back for warranty support but hey sh%t happens. I'm happy with the sound regardless :).

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #57 of 222
Listening to the new Duet 2 with my DT1350's.  It sounds great.  It is a pretty beefy piece of equipment for being a portable / laptop solution, which is a mixed blessing - big to carry, but cables don't drag it around.

I haven't decided whether to keep it.  I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to use it enough to justify the cost.  If I keep it, I *may* trade my DT1350's for a higher impedance and/or lower sensitivity closed can.  The Duet is -63 db at first click, which is relatively loud on the Beyer's.  I am open to suggestions on new closed cans, by the way.  Beyer's are 80 ohm, 109 db @ 1 mW @ 1000 hz.

I'd like to get up around 250 ohm (input impedance of Duet 2 is around 35 ohm, supposedly 8x is a good value, so 250 to 300 ohm is a good range to eliminate interaction) and less sensitivity, without being so inefficient that it requires more current / voltage than the Duet can produce - Duet swings roughly +/- 7.5 V from USB bus, which isn't bad.  Comfy, over ear and relatively light / portable with minimal sound leakage in or out, while I'm at it.  And how about *relatively* inexpensive (like I could sell my beyers, buy the cans and still net a few bucks...).

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #58 of 222
I saw an HD25-13-ii for sale on the forums the other day. It's not often you'll find a 600 ohm portable can 
biggrin.gif
 (and they sound pretty nice too)

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #59 of 222
I saw an HD25-13-ii for sale on the forums the other day. It's not often you'll find a 600 ohm portable can :D  (and they sound pretty nice too)

I saw those. HD25's aren't real comfortable for me though. It was tempting.

I actually have the Duet 2 listed as an IC / for sale. I seldom use my laptop rig, and I've satisfied my curiosity with the Duet 2. It is a really neat rig, but I don't really need it. I'll list it here for a bit, then off to fleabay if it doesn't get any love here.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #60 of 222
Yeah I just saw your other thread there. Though I guess if you're selling the Duet2 now, then you don't really need something higher impedance. 

Have you considered jumping on the ortho bandwagon? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back