Reconfiguring my rig - Random updates on the journey
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #166 of 222
Well... An iBasso PB2 + DB2 on the way for the interim until the HIFI-M8's ship.  The Pico Slim is up for sale - a 2 day fire sale at the moment:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634579/big-fire-sale-pico-slim-166-black

The IBasso pair is probably overkill, but I've been curious for a long time about them.

Pico Slim has been exquisite with the iem's, but for some reason, I am finding the iem's better with just the iPhone than I remember.  I'll have to try the iPod touch 4G, and see if that was the issue...

Now to either order a bunch of cable stuff and dig out my workstation, or have someone build me a balanced cable, and modify the Mad Dogs for a balanced split or single entry set up.  I really prefer single entry - much easier cable management at work.  I'll try out the iBasso gear SE in the mean time.

I don't think I'll bother with balanced for my iems.

May 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #167 of 222
haven't checked in here in months.  Since last update - still waiting for the HIFI-M8 to ship, maybe June...

Updated the Mad Dogs to Version 3.1 or 3.2, with a balanced cable prototype.

A new (to me, used mint) HD650's.  I've wanted to own these for years.  Finally decided it was time to try them out.  A reterminated stock cable set up for balanced 4 pin XLR.

Still have the 1964 Ears.  Customs are a bit of a pain, I've decided.  Getting a good fit is a bunch of work.  Mine are still not all that great in the left ear, but good enough.  If I ever do it again, I'll go straight to top of the line, and do refits until the fit is perfect.  I would strongly consider silicon bodies.  I have a pair of silicon ear plugs that are great.  Pretty good chance I'd go to Westone and do the comfort tips.  Oh, and no more boosted bass.  Done with that.

May 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #168 of 222
I was highly intrigued by the M8, though didn't bite on it. I did wind up selling a bunch of stuff and picking up a DacMini PX though. Yeesh, this crazy hobby... 

May 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #169 of 222
Dac Mini PX - speaker amps in that one, right?  How do you like it?  If I ever end up in an office with a door at work, I'd like to do a near field set up.  I had considered the dac mini CX with actives, or the PX with passives.  Are you using yours with speakers?

May 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #170 of 222
I have the whole ADS package actually, so that's the PX along with their speakers and travel case.

I'm really liking it so far. My direct comparison is vs the Nufore Icon2 and their S-X speakers, which are another mini all-in-one unit and 2.0 speaker set. The PX is a step up from the Icon2, but at the price point I wasn't expecting that. The Icon2 paired with the HDP as dac and LPS power upgrade is a very close match and I'd say is a matter of preference (with me leaning towards the Nuforce). Price-wise the Nuforce stack and PX are roughtly the same, but the PX wins for size easily now. Just the Icon2 by itself is much smaller than the PX though.

I've got the bigger Nuforce stack as well, with the DAC/HAP/STA-100, which I do feel is a step up from the PX, but not a huge one, and it comes at a higher cost and a much bigger size.

I haven't done a direct comparison of the speakers, but from memory the 2504 is better than the S-X, although the 2504 is more directional while the S-X has a better room filling capacity.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #173 of 222
Yup, Jonesin' hard about now.  Pretty sure I'm in the first group.  I leave for Denver for a week on the 16th, so if I don't receive it by the 15th, I'll be boned until the 29th.  The M8 will sit unopened on my desk at work, and I'll be traveling...

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #174 of 222
Quote:
Yup, Jonesin' hard about now.  Pretty sure I'm in the first group.  I leave for Denver for a week on the 16th, so if I don't receive it by the 15th, I'll be boned until the 29th.  The M8 will sit unopened on my desk at work, and I'll be traveling...

I'm sure you'll have your M8 before the 1Plus2s swing your way. The tour has taken much longer than expected progress. But it is getting there.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #176 of 222
So the question is... what toys will you be acquiring in the meantime? 
size]

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #177 of 222
Got an email from CEntrance today, a reply to my so... when is it shipping.... (imagine valley girl voice and gum cracking).  They are waiting on a batch of 30 pin cables arriving in the next day or so, then mine should ship.  Yea, maybe next week!  As to toys purchased in the mean time, I did buy a pair of HD650's a couple months ago.  I sure like them, been wanting a pair for several years.  I run into a pair to hear every now and again at meets, so I finally caved and got a pair.  Interestingly, they are a better work can for me than the Mad Dogs - I need to hear people and the phone, so an open can is actually better.  Unless the shop is using an impact hammer or air arc cutter or something - those are freaking loud!

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #178 of 222
I've been thinking of picking up one of the Senns for a while now too. They're kinda like old faithful in the headfi kingdom. I've also been intrigued by the Philips Fidelio X1 and L1 too.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #179 of 222
Quote:
I've been thinking of picking up one of the Senns for a while now too. They're kinda like old faithful in the headfi kingdom. I've also been intrigued by the Philips Fidelio X1 and L1 too.

I really like the Senns, and the HD650 just a bit more than the little time I've spent with the HD600, and the HD580 I owned as my second good pair of cans.  I feel the same way about my Mad Dogs.  They are both similar and different at the same time, but they both share one thing for me.  Listening to them is kinda like holding my lovely wife in my arms - beautiful, familiar, comfortable.  Wow, I said that out loud, didn't I....  Oh well, unmanly, but true.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #180 of 222
Though depending on their moods, sometimes the womenfolk do not like being described as familiar and comfortable 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back