Recommendations?
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

roggae

Head-Fier
so i've been into headphones since i was a tyke. 36 now.  i generally listen to IEMs (shure 215,535) but i also love my Grado RS 1s and my SR80s. i use a pono as my source 50% of the time and the other 50% i use a Little Dot MK3 tube headphone amp. i'm looking to start the process of researching a different pair of open ear cans.i live in rural WI and dont have a lot of places i can go and listen to new 'phones so i kinda just do a lot of reading then buy new from amazon and return if i dont dig 'em.  i dont want to spend a ton(as i dont really have much atm) but i understand you generally get what you pay for.  i listen to a very diverse variety of music but most critical listening is jazz.  you guys have any suggestions?  i've heard a lot about the HD 800s, but i dont know if i'm ready to spend another $1K on phones.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 2
A few thoughts: HD558; HD598--if you want to spend in that price range. HD518--a bit less expensive. 598 probably best for jazz--detail. Can get all on amazon.

If you want to keep expenditures to a minimum, as you hinted at, then I would look at:

Takstar ts671, Takstar HI2050

Superlux HD681 Evo (also on amazon)

I haven't heard the 671, but it gets terrific reviews. Otherwise, all of the above are very good to excellent. It just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Hope this helps,

serman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back