Recommendations: something like Ety HF5 but bassier?
Jan 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nickd75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here...

I've been through a handful of IEMS: Shure E3c, E4/ SCL4 (x3), and now Etymotic hf5s. I was a pretty big fan of the Shures, but all the E4/ SCL4s broke; by the third pair I got fed up and switched to the Etys 18 months ago. The sound is obviously different, but I've adjusted to it; would still like a little more bass, but I like the detail; and the build quality is a whole nother league. Unfortunately I knackered the plug a while back, and it's got to the point that I probably need to replace them.

Before I buy a replacement pair of Etys, can anyone recommend some IEMs that might offer my ideal combination of build quality, detail and a bit more bass, at about the £100-140 mark?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Try Klipsch X5, no hype for this stuff, but i think it will met your expectations

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks, I'll check out the X5, see if there's anywhere that still has them in stock. And the T15s look intriguing; never heard of ACS before - what's the consensus on reliability, build quality etc?

I realised after posting that I probably could have done with a bit better explanation of what I'm after, too, although I guess it's not uncommon. The Ety sound is obviously very clean, picking out detail, but much more present in the mids and trebles without being overly bright. Is there such a thing as an IEM that gives that detail but has more presence in the bass, without muddying the sound? Or is it a case of either/ or?

I've been looking at Shure's latest, but prices have moved on (or I've become more realistic with every broken pair) to the point that really it would be the SE210s for me, much as I'd like to step up to the next level. And with the cabling issues I've had on 3 consecutive pairs of Shures I'm reluctant to go down that route again. The customer service was fine, but who wants to be sending off their 'phones every year for a month to be repaired/ replaced?

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Before scrapping the Etys, why not just solder a new plug onto them (a nice Switchcraft or Neutrik, for instance). The HF5s are bright and open, but the bass IS there - you just need a perfect seal. Have you tried Shure Black Olives? If that doesn't work, maybe it's worth spending the USD100 or so on custom moulds......

I would persevere with the HF5s, they're bl**dy good IEMs!

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 10
I once read a review saying that MC5 was like HF5 but with more bass and less detail. cant tell for sure I never tried the HF5, but I like the MC5 a great deal.

that or add a Zo to the equation, my Zo2 makes wonders with low bass IEMs like the MC5 itself.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 10
also if you do end up scrapping the HF5, feel free to pass them on to me, i will pay shipping and a bit extra.
Have you looked at Shure SE215, they sound like they could be for you, and they have a detachable cable.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Well that's my default position: more of the same. With the exception of my own clumsiness and the straight plug (seriously, why bother with a straight plug for an audiophile product?), they've been pretty much buy and forget. The soft grey silicone Shure olives work best for me (triple flanges are a bit over the top for everyday wear), and the sound does seem to have filled out in the last year or so. The lack of bass can still be noticeable, but it's not a dealbreaker (where I notice it most often is where most IEMs would struggle, such as on planes, the subway etc).

So more than anything it's more a speculative punt, to see if I should be checking out anything else before either buying a replacement for these or working out how to fix them (for the record, I don't have a soldering iron or any soldering expertise
redface.gif
). I'm wondering if sending them off to Etymotic with a begging letter might work...

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 10
I will recommend to try CK10, EX600, PFE112, RE272, Brainwavz B2, RE0+AMPs and they all sound closer to Etymotic IEMs.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check out the X5, see if there's anywhere that still has them in stock. And the T15s look intriguing; never heard of ACS before - what's the consensus on reliability, build quality etc?

I realised after posting that I probably could have done with a bit better explanation of what I'm after, too, although I guess it's not uncommon. The Ety sound is obviously very clean, picking out detail, but much more present in the mids and trebles without being overly bright. Is there such a thing as an IEM that gives that detail but has more presence in the bass, without muddying the sound? Or is it a case of either/ or?

I've been looking at Shure's latest, but prices have moved on (or I've become more realistic with every broken pair) to the point that really it would be the SE210s for me, much as I'd like to step up to the next level. And with the cabling issues I've had on 3 consecutive pairs of Shures I'm reluctant to go down that route again. The customer service was fine, but who wants to be sending off their 'phones every year for a month to be repaired/ replaced?

I don't think many in this thread would give similar sound to the hf5, ACS is a huge company that does custom stuff. I think it's perfectly what your looking for, as I believe it was designed to be similar to the Etys but with a touch of extra bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back