Recommendations Please- Good Isolating HPs for < $250 Used
Mar 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

thelsuman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of selling my AKG K701's and getting a different/second set of headphones (to complement my Senn HD650's).  I like the 701's, but my reason for replacing is that I think I would benefit more from having a set of closed HP's that could effectively isolate outside sounds (i.e., while listening in bed while the wife watches TV).  My first instinct was to look at some Denon AH-D2000's, which are closed cans that I've heard before & liked.  But, after doing a bit of research, it seems these aren't the best phones for isolating from outside noise.  I started to look into some Senn HD25-1's, which seem to get a lot of high marks for sound isolation, but I'm concerned this may be too much of a compromise in terms of sound quality (though it might be cool to be able to swap my Cardas HP cable for use on the HD25-1's).  I'll be mostly driving the HP's with an Audio-gd Compass amp for home/in-bed listening, though the option for portable use (i.e., ability to be driven by a CMoy) would be nice, but not a must-have feature.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 18
To add to the above, a few models that I'm considering:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-A900
  2. Audio Technica ATH-A700
  3. Ultrasone Pro-750
  4. Ultrasone Pro-550

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
To add to the above, a few models that I'm considering:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-A900
  2. Audio Technica ATH-A700
  3. Ultrasone Pro-750
  4. Ultrasone Pro-550

I don't think any of the Audio Technicas Isolate. closed doesn't always = isolation

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 18
Good to know...I wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
I don't think any of the Audio Technicas Isolate. closed doesn't always = isolation

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 18
opens will isolate, but the level of isolation varies from headphone to headphone, and it always isn't much.  For example k240 sextett vs k701, the sextett will isolate a bit more, albeit not much.  In terms of isolation, the way it typically goes is IEM < closed < open

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 18
IEM's are just not for me...comfort issue.  I have some Head-Direct RE-Zero's, which are very nice.  But somehow I just don't find myself using them except during travel when the full-sized phones are just not practical.

Quote:
opens will isolate, but the level of isolation varies from headphone to headphone, and it always isn't much.  For example k240 sextett vs k701, the sextett will isolate a bit more, albeit not much.  In terms of isolation, the way it typically goes is IEM < closed < open

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Some additional suggestions for your consideration:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

AKG K272HD

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (32 or 250 Ohm versions), DT 150, DT 250

Sennheiser HD280PRO, HD380PRO, HD25-1

Shure SRH840

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 18
I have tried the m50 and the dt770 and both isolate quite well. I haven't listened to the dt770 for quite a while, but I do know that the dt770 is infinitely more comfortable and I'm almost certain isolate more. The dt770 I've listened to is an unamped 32 ohm and from what I recall is about the same as the m50 in terms of sound quality.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

Living up to your signature I see.  
tongue.gif
  From Saint Panda's thorough review of ATH A900:

"The isolation level provides enough reclusion from moderate background noise."

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Senn HD25-1 II isolate well for an on-ear headphone, but nowhere near the isolation of Ultrasone or the AKG K271 mk II. Soundwise I think they latter would come closest to your K701, but maybe getting a different, more punchy set of headphones like the Ultrasones would compliment your open cans better?

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:

I can understand if you say some of them do not isolate well, but to say the whole brand does not isolate. I find that ridiculous. Unless you were just referring to the four cans he posted.

I was reffering to the ones he posted. Obviously not all ATs don't isolate.

Quote:
Living up to your signature I see.  
tongue.gif
  From Saint Panda's thorough review of ATH A900:

"The isolation level provides enough reclusion from moderate background noise."

I'd like to revise my statement. All headphones isolate just a bit (unless its something crazy like a Jecklin float for a K1000), not all of them are designed to isolate. That includes the ATs he listed.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Senn HD25-1 II isolate well for an on-ear headphone, but nowhere near the isolation of Ultrasone or the AKG K271 mk II. Soundwise I think they latter would come closest to your K701, but maybe getting a different, more punchy set of headphones like the Ultrasones would compliment your open cans better?

You hit the nail on the head...I'd like something a bit punchy for a nice change of pace from the AKG K701s (which I think I'll be keeping & selling the Senn HD650s instead).  Right now, I'm browsing the HF classifieds to see what I can find.  Saw some Ultrasone Pro900's for sale that might fit the bill.  Also, I'm wondering/second-guessing how much isolation I really need since my main "competition" will be the bedroom television at moderate volume.  I suppose that's the beauty of buying used: if they don't work out, then I can simply resell without much loss.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 18
I own K702s as well as the HD280 pros that an above poster has mentioned and I have listened to both for at least a few hundred hours (probably over a thousand hours on my HD280s).  To hopefully give you a good idea of how they sound, no matter on what amplification/source the K702 is a better headphone, but I definitely enjoy listening to both headphones.  In general, I lose quite a bit of soundstage, openness and dynamics when I am listening to the HD280 pros.  However, despite that I would say that the HD280s are still great headphones especially for the price that they cost.  If you don't mind the slight pressure on your head that they generate (part of the noise isolation scheme), they do a great job of mitigating background noise.  Someone close-by is barely audible when they are talking to you while the headphones are on and this would definitely drown out the majority if not all of the television noise in your bedroom.  As for the sound, I would say that it has maybe even slightly stronger bass than the K702s and there is extension into very low frequencies, but all frequencies are represented quite naturally and very accurately.  Also it is quite easily driven if you wish to use it portably as well.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 18
Well, I decided on some used Ultrasone Pro 900's that I found on the classifieds here.  A little more than I planned on spending ($300), but it seems that they will meet my needs very well.  Once I've tried them, I'll then have to decide which of the other headphones must go (of course I want to keep them all, but I don't think my wife...or my wallet...would appreciate that kind of hoarding behavior
wink.gif
).

I especially like that the Pro900's reportedly have a robust build quality & have some good portability features (folding, case included, low impedance) that will make them a more versatile headphone for me.  Thanks everyone for your time & recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back