recommendations on transporting vinyl?
Dec 29, 2009 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kenny6007

100+ Head-Fier
i'm planning on moving 400 miles in about a month and was wondering the best way to package up vinyl records for the move. i've searched online and found a few good boxes but then tend to be on the smaller size being only able to hold about 8-10" of depth which is probably around 40LPs.

i went to my local officemax as i've read about them carrying plastic bins but when i was there all were too small in height (only 10" of clearance) so i just went and bought some 14"x14"x14" boxes, i've taped it extremely well ... not only completely covering the bottom but through the sides as well to reinforce the box. the box holds the records plus about an inch and a half of spare space which i'm not too fond of. i'm trying to find a way to block off the excess space so there's less movement but ideally i'd like to find a box that holds the records a bit better.

so .... any recommendations on a box that can perhaps hold about 14-18"+ of records to minimize the amount of boxes used?

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 15
Uhaul's 'small' box is perfect for moving. I think they cost me $2 each and fit around 80 records each. In fact, I have kept a bunch just in case I need overflow space in my collection.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhaul's 'small' box is perfect for moving. I think they cost me $2 each and fit around 80 records each. In fact, I have kept a bunch just in case I need overflow space in my collection.

i just checked the uhaul website and the boxes are sized at 16"x12"x12" i'm going to assume that 16" is the depth so wouldn't 12"x12" be too small for the LPs?

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 15
Just buy a giant bag of packing foam/peanuts and fill up all the extra space..

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 15
duct tape

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy a giant bag of packing foam/peanuts and fill up all the extra space..

currently i'm using bubblewrap, just figured maybe there'd be a better way in case i can't get my shelving done in a timely fashion.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn! They changed the box. Sorry about that. It used to not have handles and be 13x13x16. I am so bummed. I wish I had kept more.

13x13x16 would have been perfect

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Go find some old milk crates. Starving students used them in the old days as record cabinets.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 15
i just fill in the sides with records facing perpendicular.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 15
How many albums do you need to move?

I moved over 1100 albums from Arizona to Northern California in a U-Haul. My main concern was the heat going through the desert (this was in August if I recall correctly). Just make sure the albums are packed upright and secure in whatever boxes you manage to get, and pack them as tight as possible. Use newspaper, bubble wrap, towels or anything to fill the gaps. You should be fine.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many albums do you need to move?

I moved over 1100 albums from Arizona to Northern California in a U-Haul. My main concern was the heat going through the desert (this was in August if I recall correctly). Just make sure the albums are packed upright and secure in whatever boxes you manage to get, and pack them as tight as possible. Use newspaper, bubble wrap, towels or anything to fill the gaps. You should be fine.

i'm going from northern CA to long beach,ca and i'm moving about 400 titles so with boxsets so i'm thinking in the 500-600 LP range. luckily it's not that hot so heat won't be too much of an issue plus it's only a 5-6hr drive, i might end up putting them in my car so that i can make sure they're treated properly as everything else i have that's worth anything to me is already down in Long Beach.

i currently do have the LPs packed upright and will keep packed as tight as possible, maybe even using small pillows to stuff the box if i can't find a smaller tighter box .... the empty space is using alot more bubblewrap than i'd like

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny6007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm going from northern CA to long beach,ca and i'm moving about 400 titles so with boxsets so i'm thinking in the 500-600 LP range. luckily it's not that hot so heat won't be too much of an issue plus it's only a 5-6hr drive, i might end up putting them in my car so that i can make sure they're treated properly as everything else i have that's worth anything to me is already down in Long Beach.

i currently do have the LPs packed upright and will keep packed as tight as possible, maybe even using small pillows to stuff the box if i can't find a smaller tighter box .... the empty space is using alot more bubblewrap than i'd like

You'll be fine.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 15
The roads are quite bumpy as you reach inner Los Angeles. Take caution on the freeways and roads as you pass by. Same with some areas in Orange County.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back