Recommendations on amp for VR, HD6xx
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Scars Unseen

New Head-Fier
Basically, I'm looking at something to improve on the built in sound on my Oculus Quest 2. I currently have a Sennheiser HD6xx and a Beyerdynamic DT 880 (25 ohm version), but since the former has a replaceable cord, I was planning on using that and replacing the cord with a shorter version when I'm using my HMD. Basic wants in an amp are as follows(in order of importance:

1. Powerful enough to drive my HD6xx
  2. Preferably 3 hours of battery life or higher(or able to use with a PD power bank to extend use time).
  3. Small enough to strap to the back of my HMD head strap.
  4. No need for DAC since I'm connecting it to a headphone jack.
Price isn't super important, though ideal would be sub-$300.

Any suggestions?

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Basically, I'm looking at something to improve on the built in sound on my Oculus Quest 2. I currently have a Sennheiser HD6xx and a Beyerdynamic DT 880 (25 ohm version), but since the former has a replaceable cord, I was planning on using that and replacing the cord with a shorter version when I'm using my HMD. Basic wants in an amp are as follows(in order of importance:

1. Powerful enough to drive my HD6xx
  2. Preferably 3 hours of battery life or higher(or able to use with a PD power bank to extend use time).
  3. Small enough to strap to the back of my HMD head strap.
  4. No need for DAC since I'm connecting it to a headphone jack.
Price isn't super important, though ideal would be sub-$300.

Any suggestions?
quest 2 sounds like it has usbc digital audio out now so you could perhaps use one of the usbc dongles that are around now or maybe a btr5/qudelix 5k balanced for more power

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Actually I really like this cheap one:
Fosi Audio N2 Headphone Amplifier Portable Amp 3.5MM Gain & Bass Switch Audio HiFi Earphone Headset Powered Dual-Output with Lithium Battery for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 and Computers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8GQX6...abc_Y8AK9C5NCKAJH2ZJ9PBH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t like the sound of the bass boost. I I think many people will and it does work.

This has more than enough power for the 6XX (which I also have). It even powers my planars rather well. Just for a point of reference I also own several Schiit amps and DAC/amps, an ART headamp, Mackie mixer, other super cheap Amazon portable amps.

What other ones are you looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back